• 1 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By Beenonvaca
  • 1 Post By Beenonvaca

Thread: Strongly considering knee replacement wtf

Beenonvaca is offline Junior Member

Strongly considering knee replacement wtf

Seems like every time I think my life is trouble free the shit hits the fan!!
    I’ve learned to just roll w it but it still wrecks my plans each time.
    No pity party just considering the situation I want to explore some options for putting on as much muscle as possible in the next six-eight months.
    The surgery won’t be like a normal replacement, my femur is deformed significantly so it’s going to be fairly extensive.
    Anyway as some of you know I’m on trt and in the process of adding a few lite extras, proviron , hcg , deca etc..
    I can do this surgery anytime although the pain is constant and dr says it’s just going to get worse. At my age55 I figure the sooner the better, before it becomes useless.
    So what’s the advice for packing some serious muscle on fast.
    My experience comes from a few minutes ago, and things seem to have advanced dramatically since I had my toes dipped in.
    So I suppose what I’m asking is what be some good choices for a blast at my age? ✌🏻

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Test and Deca if you won't run into problems with your Dr. labs. Test and anavar is another possibility.

However, I wouldn't be looking to pack on muscle fast. It rarely happens and disappears as quickly because it is often bloat. Besides you're going to have some recovery ahead post surgery.

Personally, I liked Test @200mg/ week and NPP @ 300/week prior to my C-spine overhaul. Stay healthy and stay on top of your blood work prior to surgery. You want to be in tip top shape health wise. It will make for an easier recovery.

You want your immune system to be strong and you need to be feeling good going into this.
    Cylon357 likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

10-4 on your advice towards immune system and overall health prior to surgery- I suppose you are on point with quick muscle gains- I guess that’s going to be difficult to achieve in the short term to much effect, however would ther be any advantage to the intro of hgh for the next 6 months or so in preparation? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beenonvaca View Post
    10-4 on your advice towards immune system and overall health prior to surgery- I suppose you are on point with quick muscle gains- I guess that’s going to be difficult to achieve in the short term to much effect, however would ther be any advantage to the intro of hgh for the next 6 months or so in preparation? Thanks
    I would reserve GH for post-surgery use.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Seems like every time I think my life is trouble free the shit hits the fan!!
    I’ve learned to just roll w it but it still wrecks my plans each time.
    No pity party just considering the situation I want to explore some options for putting on as much muscle as possible in the next six-eight months.
    The surgery won’t be like a normal replacement, my femur is deformed significantly so it’s going to be fairly extensive.
    Anyway as some of you know I’m on trt and in the process of adding a few lite extras, proviron , hcg , deca etc..
    I can do this surgery anytime although the pain is constant and dr says it’s just going to get worse. At my age55 I figure the sooner the better, before it becomes useless.
    So what’s the advice for packing some serious muscle on fast.
    My experience comes from a few minutes ago, and things seem to have advanced dramatically since I had my toes dipped in.
    So I suppose what I’m asking is what be some good choices for a blast at my age? ✌🏻
    Speaking as a PT, who is also 64 and has had both hips replaced. First hip at 50, other at 56.

Questions please; femur deformity? Where, what? Are you using a cane, can you get off of the toilet, can you still get a decent night’s sleep?

Keep flexible and make sure your knee has full ROM.

Lean out if you are bulky and/or fat. You will appreciate the decreased body weight during recovery. And at 55, it’s not needed.

Without adding significantly to your knee pain, try to get your endurance better. Start getting accustomed to a stationary cycle and an elliptical machine in addition to walking.

Basic strengthening will help, provided you aren’t contributing considerably to the pain. Quad extensions and leg press (to 90 degrees if possible, but even if you can’t, still limited ROM will help). If the leg strength varies considerably between your good and bad leg, do the work unilaterally.

I do just fine at my prescribed TRT dose of 150 mg. Testosterone per week. Helps weight loss while adding muscle & strength at the same time and definitely recovery.

Good luck.
    Cylon357 likes this.

I appreciate your response, the deformity is bc the head of the femur was fragmented upon impact the upper portion of the bone exited thru the quad, causing traumatic injury to the surrounding muscles as well. The ortho doc put it back together either the best he could or he didn’t think I was going to live.
    Had other severe injuries as well, other leg had 3 breaks and one exit however these were rather clean breaks- broken ribs, lungs punctured, 17 blood transfusions etc..
    the results left me with a bow in the leg which has caused the recent diagnosis of bone on bone pain, the inner part of the joint specifically.
    So as I think I mentioned before this surgery is not going to be typical knee replacement.
    Anyway I am in good shape otherwise, no extra weight to speak of, fairly lean, I eat very clean.
    I only have about 95 degrees rom. And there is significant muscle tissue attached to the femur just above my knee cap.
    I have been trying to build the muscles up in this leg with very little success, I have never used any type of assist device like a cane, except during the initial phase of getting back going. I get around pretty good, I have always stayed active but obviously favor the good leg.
    I am able to sleep well unless I do anything out of the norm like walking long distance.
    It has always hurt more so if I did anything out of the ordinary, like going on vacation and doing a lot of walking… however the recent pain is constant and more severe. Arthritis has also been creeping in over the years.

So it sounds like I’m doing the correct things in preparation, what about adding hgh? Now or after? And will they likely want me to stop trt prior to surgery? If so how long before do you think, I really appreciate your insight, my daughter is a senior this fall going to be a pt soon 71/2 year duration she’s about half way, on the deans list and wants to open her own therapy center, also I had some incredible pt’s that worked with me after the accident so I have a great respect and appreciation for what you do! ✌��
    Last edited by Beenonvaca; 08-12-2022 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Make changes to questions I didn’t answer fully

I appreciate your response, the deformity is bc the head of the femur was fragmented upon impact the upper portion of the bone exited thru the quad, causing traumatic injury to the surrounding muscles as well. The ortho doc put it back together either the best he could or he didn’t think I was going to live.
    Had other severe injuries as well, other leg had 3 breaks and one exit however these were rather clean breaks- broken ribs, lungs punctured, 17 blood transfusions etc..
    the results left me with a bow in the leg which has caused the recent diagnosis of bone on bone pain, the inner part of the joint specifically.
    So as I think I mentioned before this surgery is not going to be typical knee replacement.
    Anyway I am in good shape otherwise, no extra weight to speak of, fairly lean, I eat very clean.
    I only have about 95 degrees rom. And there is significant muscle tissue attached to the femur just above my knee cap.
    I have been trying to build the muscles up in this leg with very little success, I have never used any type of assist device like a cane, except during the initial phase of getting back going. I get around pretty good, I have always stayed active but obviously favor the good leg.
    I am able to sleep well unless I do anything out of the norm like walking long distance.
    It has always hurt more so if I did anything out of the ordinary, like going on vacation and doing a lot of walking… however the recent pain is constant and more severe. Arthritis has also been creeping in over the years.

So it sounds like I’m doing the correct things in preparation, what about adding hgh? Now or after? And will they likely want me to stop trt prior to surgery? If so how long before do you think, I really appreciate your insight, my daughter is a senior this fall going to be a pt soon 71/2 year duration she’s about half way, on the deans list and wants to open her own therapy center, also I had some incredible pt’s that worked with me after the accident so I have a great respect and appreciation for what you do! ✌��
    Wow, a fractured ( Fragmented!) femoral head and that’s not giving you issues? Shit, that was one nasty fracture!

95 degrees is a functional amount so that isn’t an issue. When I started in the profession, TKR’s weren’t nearly as good as today’s and if we got 90 degrees post surgery, sometimes that was considered a big success. If you’re walking without a cane, then darn, your strength is pretty good & your pain isn’t that significant (or so I’m guessing). If you can do stairs alternately then man, you are pretty solid at this time. And, if you are getting sleep without the pain awakening you frequently, then that too is good.

So can you do a leg press? Can you do a knee extension machine for quads? With all of the PT, what exercises were they doing & what did they suggest you continue with independently?

Congrats to your daughter; that’s fantastic! It was a great profession. I met my wife in PT school & many of our friends still practice. As we’re the oldsters we each recently retired.

TRT was a Godsend to me. I started after my second hip replacement out of utter necessity & the difference it made in my workouts and physique was night & day. I’d have a solid talk with your care providers about your usage, that is if they are prescribing it. If not, you had better have damn good rapport & trust with your physician, because if they put that into your chart, there can be some ramifications.

Have to tell you, I ain’t an expert with HGH. I’ve tried it for a couple of years & it agreed with me, but it isn’t life changing in terms of recovery & healing. Both my shoulders are missing the rotator cuffs (I’ve lived in gyms on way or the other for 50 years now, it catches up with you) and the rotator cuff tendons didn’t heal or repair themselves with HGH in the slightest, they just kept tearing more. In terms of healing from a TKR, it’s simply bone growth and that doesn’t need HGH to expedite it really. That TKR recovery should be pretty damn smooth.

Did you lose significant amounts of your quad due to damage? Was there nerve damage that is contributing to the weakness?

Brother, considering what you’ve described about your injury, I’d say you are doing damn good from my perspective.

Thank you for the praise; I’ve been blessed with a wonderful career.

It was very nasty for sure, But to back up a bit the injuries occurred 35 years ago, I was in really good shape at the time thankfully!
    My pt’s from what I recall said I could do what ever I was comfortable doing in reference to lifting weights. They continued working with me for two years op, when that ended I was walking on my own but no type of specific muscle building exercises. During the whole process I remember working on rom mostly with a device, and focusing on learning to walk. I was overall very weak after laying in a hospital bed for 91 days.

It took a few years before I was able to confidently return to the gym, and soon after started doing some minimal cycles, after a few years of dedicated lifting I had came a long way.
    like I had mentioned the pain was always there, so after a while you sort of block it out or get used to it to some degree.
    I continued lifting very dedicated until a career change at 38, and recently started back 14 months ago, started trt the same time. I have stayed away from squats but do leg presses, extensions, actually worked legs this morning. I’m able to push 450 on the leg press, So basically stick with the machines for all leg exercises, my routine takes about 1:15 including 10 minutes warm up either on a bike or stair climber. I keep a good pace so I’m doing numerous different exercises. There was some nerve damage, all I can say on that point is I have feeling in the area but certain spots I can hit with a hammer and not feel it, like the knee cap itself. There is some muscle lost for sure I have just always contributed it to the fact that I can’t work it as well as the other but it is kind of mangled in comparison. So it’s difficult to say. The same leg foot was broke up to and it has a constant tingling feeling that is always there and is very sensitive to the slightest contact.
    I did one 6 month cycle with hgh included at 35 and my results were incredible. Wish I would have stayed with it.
    Yes I’m fortunate that my kids are very determined, focused, and drivin.
    Congrats on your retirement, that is a great achievement. And thanks for the encouragement!✌��

Also I am currently still seeing a trt doc, but I want to start self prescribing maybe I should wait until after the surgery for this. My reason on doing my own is they do a good job but treat me like any other person, their two hours drive I live in the boonies. And I figure as long as I continue bloodwork I can save 60%. I suppose I have the concerns of getting creditable product, but otherwise I have found it fairly straight forward with some advice and reading on this site. So I’m still in the decision phase.✌��

Also I am currently still seeing a trt doc, but I want to start self prescribing maybe I should wait until after the surgery for this. My reason on doing my own is they do a good job but treat me like any other person, their two hours drive I live in the boonies. And I figure as long as I continue bloodwork I can save 60%. I suppose I have the concerns of getting creditable product, but otherwise I have found it fairly straight forward with some advice and reading on this site. So I’m still in the decision phase.✌��

It was very nasty for sure, But to back up a bit the injuries occurred 35 years ago, I was in really good shape at the time thankfully!
    My pt’s from what I recall said I could do what ever I was comfortable doing in reference to lifting weights. They continued working with me for two years op, when that ended I was walking on my own but no type of specific muscle building exercises. During the whole process I remember working on rom mostly with a device, and focusing on learning to walk. I was overall very weak after laying in a hospital bed for 91 days.

It took a few years before I was able to confidently return to the gym, and soon after started doing some minimal cycles, after a few years of dedicated lifting I had came a long way.
    like I had mentioned the pain was always there, so after a while you sort of block it out or get used to it to some degree.
    I continued lifting very dedicated until a career change at 38, and recently started back 14 months ago, started trt the same time. I have stayed away from squats but do leg presses, extensions, actually worked legs this morning. I’m able to push 450 on the leg press, So basically stick with the machines for all leg exercises, my routine takes about 1:15 including 10 minutes warm up either on a bike or stair climber. I keep a good pace so I’m doing numerous different exercises. There was some nerve damage, all I can say on that point is I have feeling in the area but certain spots I can hit with a hammer and not feel it, like the knee cap itself. There is some muscle lost for sure I have just always contributed it to the fact that I can’t work it as well as the other but it is kind of mangled in comparison. So it’s difficult to say. The same leg foot was broke up to and it has a constant tingling feeling that is always there and is very sensitive to the slightest contact.
    I did one 6 month cycle with hgh included at 35 and my results were incredible. Wish I would have stayed with it.
    Yes I’m fortunate that my kids are very determined, focused, and drivin.
    Congrats on your retirement, that is a great achievement. And thanks for the encouragement!✌��
    Speaking from a PT stand point (and now I’ve got my wife intrigued by this), you are kicking ass! Dude, when I finally pulled the trigger on my THR, I’d been on a cane for a year, couldn’t get off of the toilet, couldn’t sleep through the night and stairs even one at a time were a PITA. Leg press 450 pounds?!?

Interesting thought, when my hip was bad, so was my knee. In fact my knee was so sore, I thought it was next. So I asked my surgeon for knee x-rays as well. Totally fine, nothing. Then after my hip replacement, the knee pain absolutely disappeared. My doc had been doing knees and hip replacements for at least 40 years & laughed, saying that it happens all the time; that the hip degeneration refers pain to the knee.

This is a sincere professional request. Any chance you are comfortable sharing front and back pics of your legs. We are both curious to the bow legged affect, and also want to see the degree of atrophy. I know, goofy ass request from a total stranger.

Still gotta say though, your knee function & pain is still damn good.

The main reason I like my pharmaceutical testosterone is I’ve tried UGL testosterone that does not agree with sub-Q injections, leaves lumps and causes soreness. Sub-Q is such a piece of cake. But damn, driving 2 hours; I more than understand.

It funny you asked about pictures after my last post I took a couple and spent 30 minutes trying to understand how to send them in a pm, maybe that’s not possible or more likely my tech skills are questionable. Anyway I will get some of me standing when I have someone around to take them and just post them here if I can’t figure out how to on pm. I agree with you, our bodies are really remarkable in many ways, especially in our youth. So how are you doing these days with mobility? ✌��

The down side in respect to our bodies is as you eluded to one issue can cause other problems. My doc says that’s the reason I have back problems, herniated disc. It’s not severe at this time but if I’m not careful it puts me down. I had a bad experience a few years ago caused by impact from a tractor hit a ditch and jarred it pretty bad. Tractors don’t have much suspension! Lol it wasn’t fun for a while. ✌��

One thing that I have learned about leg presses is, they are not all created equal. I travel around to a few different gyms and on one leg press I will do 16-18 reps @250, 12-14 reps @250, and finish with 10-12 @280. This other machine I do a similar group of sets and finish at 450. Some days I do 4 sets of similar weight depending on how I feel, Maxing me out, on the last couple my legs are trembling. So although I feel I do pretty good you have to take into consideration the variability of machines. My legs are my weakness, so I have always focused on them but you would never know looking at them, I’m not even sure how I’m able to press that much myself. I have worked out with some huge guys and they just shake their heads, not that I’m stronger than they are but their legs are like huge in comparison, It’s very weird.

X-rays

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	315A2B34-1611-4068-9BB0-73F30333D702.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	181999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0FD378EA-6922-4B9C-A561-16F5F1D5BFBC.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	182000
    Hopefully you are able to view these?

It funny you asked about pictures after my last post I took a couple and spent 30 minutes trying to understand how to send them in a pm, maybe that’s not possible or more likely my tech skills are questionable. Anyway I will get some of me standing when I have someone around to take them and just post them here if I can’t figure out how to on pm. I agree with you, our bodies are really remarkable in many ways, especially in our youth. So how are you doing these days with mobility? ✌��
    Thank you.

From the moment I got off of my cane after my second THR, it was like having brand new legs again without any pain. Mobility is great. Since retirement, not only have I been hitting the gym more often and doing cardio there, but I’m taking progressively longer walks with my wife 1-2x/week (to 7.5 miles). I do have to still get my legs stronger though & start focusing on some balance work as well. Me + ladders = danger/falls.

The down side in respect to our bodies is as you eluded to one issue can cause other problems. My doc says that’s the reason I have back problems, herniated disc. It’s not severe at this time but if I’m not careful it puts me down. I had a bad experience a few years ago caused by impact from a tractor hit a ditch and jarred it pretty bad. Tractors don’t have much suspension! Lol it wasn’t fun for a while. ✌��
    Oh yeah, one problem tends to contribute to others particularly when you are compensating (even a bit). Good luck with that herniated disc.
    almostgone likes this.

One thing that I have learned about leg presses is, they are not all created equal. I travel around to a few different gyms and on one leg press I will do 16-18 reps @250, 12-14 reps @250, and finish with 10-12 @280. This other machine I do a similar group of sets and finish at 450. Some days I do 4 sets of similar weight depending on how I feel, Maxing me out, on the last couple my legs are trembling. So although I feel I do pretty good you have to take into consideration the variability of machines. My legs are my weakness, so I have always focused on them but you would never know looking at them, I’m not even sure how I’m able to press that much myself. I have worked out with some huge guys and they just shake their heads, not that I’m stronger than they are but their legs are like huge in comparison, It’s very weird.
    Have seen that a lot through the years at the gym. Sometimes less massive guys (and females) can throw around some amazing poundage.

Man, I hate working legs. I always rationalize (incorrectly) that I’m going easy on my THR and not wearing them out as quickly. It sounds like a great argument, but the truth is I get a bigger kick out of getting an arm or deltoid pump and see my t-shirt stretch in the gym mirror.

Name:	315A2B34-1611-4068-9BB0-73F30333D702.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	181999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0FD378EA-6922-4B9C-A561-16F5F1D5BFBC.jpg 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	182000
    Hopefully you are able to view these?
    Yup, we can, thank you. Looks like bone on bone medially, but still nice joint space laterally. One thing we’ve learned about x-rays though through the decades is sometimes folks with the most hideous x-rays are functioning incredibly well with manageable pain; but then the opposite can occur with someone with relatively mild - moderate changes on their x-ray.

BTW, my surgeon let me keep each of my femoral heads post surgery. One is just chewed up with very little cartilage left and not really round. The other is just disintegrating more & more.

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Yup, we can, thank you. Looks like bone on bone medially, but still nice joint space laterally. One thing we’ve learned about x-rays though through the decades is sometimes folks with the most hideous x-rays are functioning incredibly well with manageable pain; but then the opposite can occur with someone with relatively mild - moderate changes on their x-ray.

BTW, my surgeon let me keep each of my femoral heads post surgery. One is just chewed up with very little cartilage left and not really round. The other is just disintegrating more & more.
    That's cool of them. I asked for a piece of the spinous process or laminae from my surgery, but like everything else they've removed from my body, they claimed it was medical waste, even the pacemaker.
    I know they used to send home about anything....tonsils, kidney stones, etc.

Beenonvaca, Wango is speaking the truth about compensation causing damage. I think some people do more damage to parts of the body that pick up the work load than the actual damaged part itself.
    Last edited by almostgone; 08-13-2022 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Cell phone auto f-in correct
    wango likes this.

I agree with out question, my most recent X-ray of my back is from a couple of years ago. Even the X-ray tech was concerned upon reviewing it.
    My leg injury resulted in nearly 1” difference in height when compared to the other one which has caused, you probably guessed it an abnormal curvature in my spine, which is of course directly responsible for my disc issues.
    Wango- that is a very encouraging outcome at your age! I am hoping this tkr will have similar effect on my life. I suspect that it will be an improvement at the least.

Pictures

So the scar to the inside of the leg is from a post recovery surgery.
    It’s a bit hard to see but the other scar runs along the outside of the leg about 10” long, midway it t’s off and runs above the knee cap and intersects the prs scar,
    at the intersection of the t on the outside is the exit point of course it is jagged and I suppose the doc expanded from that point to do his work.
    You might also notice the 8 indentions along the outer leg, those are where the external fixation device was screwed in.
    Explaining this brings back some memories of the whole ordeal,
    When it was time to remove the device the doc gave me a shot of valium and I just sat in the chair and watched it.
    It was a far better outcome than the alternative which was amputate.
    Before the initial surgery the doc said he might have to take it off above the knee, the hassles associated with a prosthetic would have been far worse I’m sure. ✌��
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strongly considering knee replacement wtf-09803d49-af7b-4444-ab82-254676f6bcd3.jpg   Strongly considering knee replacement wtf-bb69a38b-da04-4023-aa73-cc4b1aa5ce4c.jpg   Strongly considering knee replacement wtf-97b8500e-1844-4371-9ff8-d7c15e6d8a89.jpg  
    Last edited by Beenonvaca; 08-14-2022 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Rather not have pictures open to the public

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    That's cool of them. I asked for a piece of the spinous process or laminae from my surgery, but like everything else they've removed from my body, they claimed it was medical waste, even the pacemaker.
    I know they used to send gone about anything....tonsils, kidney stones, etc.

Beenonvaca, Wango is speaking the truth about compensation causing damage. I think some people do more damage to parts of the body that pick up the work load than the actual damaged part itself.
    I think because my wife had worked with him for at least 25 years, and he knew I also taught Anatomy (the kids ranged from being thrilled to see them to freaked out completely) so there might have been some professional courtesy.

I thought of the mess I could make if I buried them in the backyard, sold the house and years later somebody dug them up?
    almostgone likes this.

Name:	09803D49-AF7B-4444-AB82-254676F6BCD3.jpg 
Size:	940.0 KB 
ID:	182001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB69A38B-DA04-4023-AA73-CC4B1AA5CE4C.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	856.6 KB 
ID:	182002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	97B8500E-1844-4371-9FF8-D7C15E6D8A89.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	753.9 KB 
ID:	182003

So the scar to the inside of the leg is from a post recovery surgery.
    It’s a bit hard to see but the other scar runs along the outside of the leg about 10” long, midway it t’s off and runs above the knee cap and intersects the prs scar,
    at the intersection of the t on the outside is the exit point of course it is jagged and I suppose the doc expanded from that point to do his work.
    You might also notice the 8 indentions along the outer leg, those are where the external fixation device was screwed in.
    Explaining this brings back some memories of the whole ordeal,
    When it was time to remove the device the doc gave me a shot of valium and I just sat in the chair and watched it.
    It was a far better outcome than the alternative which was amputate.
    Before the initial surgery the doc said he might have to take it off above the knee, the hassles associated with a prosthetic would have been far worse I’m sure. ✌🏻
    Man that is a loss of muscle - and you’ve kicked ass for 35 years! I’d say you dodged a bullet by avoiding an amputation. Although I’ve worked with quite a few and they really do remarkably, but an above knee amputation is far more difficult.

Just the pain relief was enough to get my hips replaced. As many members here have suffered and still do suffer from chronic pain and can empathize; it’s just exhausting and after months/years it just kicks your butt.

Welcome to the forum, this truly is an amazing place where guys reach out to others and share and help. I’ve learned so much & honestly the stories that I hear from everyone helps keep me focused, positive & reminds me that you really can overcome practically anything if you set your mind to it.

Still leg pressing 450 pounds!. I don’t know how many more reminders I need that I better start hitting my legs. Thanks, you might be the guy that finally did that; I owe you one.

Well thanks for the kind words and the welcoming, much appreciated!!
    I will never win any sexy leg competition lol
    But they keep me going and give me a real appreciation for overall health.
    I think most everyone hates leg day, including myself but it is probably more important than stretching those arm sleeves lol
    However I enjoy that as well.
    Good luck with everything, stay healthy!✌��
    wango likes this.

Just wanted to drop by to give an update on my knee situation! Lol had knee replaced, surgery didn’t go as well as I hoped but I’m recovering slowly, apparently the ridiculous amount of scar tissue caused the patella tendon to be torn off 50+%. Also loss even more muscle post surgery! I’m currently at 9 weeks post surgery, and back lifting, but it’s going to be a long road to full recovery, im just hoping to get some muscle back eventually- anyho hope you guys read this, I realize it’s been a while! Oh i would appreciate it if someone could comment on my recent bloods I posted in the bloodwork section
    Best regards
    almostgone likes this.

You're back lifting, so you know what to do while respecting your limitations.
    It's been my experience that recovery may start slower than you like, but will accelerate on down the road!

I’m Certainly being cautious with the leg, still doing pt, and evidently will be for a while.

Mainly working on rom, had 95 degrees prior to surgery. Dr got 140 on the table, started pt at 55ish, had to wear a brace locked straight for 8 weeks except during pt. Now at 90, hopefully get 95+. Thanks for the encouragement! Gd

I’m Certainly being cautious with the leg, still doing pt, and evidently will be for a while.

Mainly working on rom, had 95 degrees prior to surgery. Dr got 140 on the table, started pt at 55ish, had to wear a brace locked straight for 8 weeks except during pt. Now at 90, hopefully get 95+. Thanks for the encouragement! Gd
    ROM is sounding very good and it sounds like you've got a solid plan going!

I’m fortunate that my pt is well versed with sports and gets my goals.

It’s a good feeling when you’re comfortable with your health care provider!

Peace!

teedoff is online now Member
    Had rotator cuff repair at 55. Granted I've not had many surgeries...any for that matter as an adult. 2 surgeries pre teen years, but I was surprised at how long it took to be at a place where I thought I was 100% again. My initial recovery I thought went fast and I think I got back to about 85% within about 4 months, but that last 15% took another 6 to 8 months before I was basically pain free and rom was as good or better than pre surgery.

Good luck on your recovery OP and just be patient. We aint spring chickens anymore. lol

Yea I’m trying to be patient, rom and pain I’m happy with at this point.
    My biggest concern is getting the muscle back lost from post surgery sitting on my rear, lol
    I already had significant muscle loss from the original injury and now it seems it’s continuing to fade away, 8 weeks after surgery.
    But regardless I appreciate the positive thoughts and support.
    I’m the furthest thing from being a quitter so if it’s possible to get the muscle back it will happen.
    I suggest to all the spring chickens out there to take care of their body now or it might suck latter. Good luck to you as well bud!

Thread Information