BigJames is offline Senior Member

Tanning Beds vs. Sunlight

My wife suffers from mild Seasonal Affected Disorder. She asked me today if tanning would help. Does anyone know if tanning beds cause the same physiological reactions as sunlight?

Thanks,

BigJ

lowstace is offline Banned
    yes it should help

Monte Brogan is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJames
    My wife suffers from mild Seasonal Affected Disorder. She asked me today if tanning would help. Does anyone know if tanning beds cause the same physiological reactions as sunlight?

Thanks,

BigJ
    Very interesting question. If there are medical professionals on this site, I would love to hear some opinions.

Maetenloch is offline Associate Member
    For SADS you need to need to be exposed to fairly strong light early in the morning to reset the body clock. The light doesn't have to be full-spectrum - just very bright (~10,000 lux). Unless she's tanning early in the morning without goggles, she'd be much better off with a light box.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    my grandfather has the same thing. He boaght a light that he put on his desk when he reads, and the light has UV in it so when it hits the back of the eyes it stimulates you. look into that also. amy be safer than tanning.

ithilsul is offline New Member
    I had the same problem. I was very depressed during the winter, started tanning to rid myself of my hated whiter-than-paper skin, and suddenly just started feeling better (even though my skin wouldn't tan ). And er, sometimes I didn't use goggles, that might have something to do with it... I know thats not safe etc, but I hated having those racoonish lines around my eyes.

Temptation is offline Female Member
    Yes, and some doctors will actually prescribe tanning for 30 minutes 1x a week. Since tanning year round (both in and outdoors) is not good for the skin they tend to suggest rubbing on an SPF 15 (or 30 for fair skin) to avoid burns.

One woman told me her doctor told her to go every other day... but that's slightly extreme. I think she had an ulterior motive.

Thread Information