Thread: Stopping TRT

BillyBob210 is offline Junior Member

Stopping TRT

Hi all,

New here so try not to beat me up too bad if this is just another newbie set of questions.

My story: I am 43 yrs old and started GP doc prescribed TRT/Androgel 8 months ago because doc said I had hypogonadism.

Numbers then were (LabCorp)
    total T 198
    Free T 7.1
    LH 9.7
    FSH 6.2

With this and my symptoms, all of the norm; tired in the pm, fat, depressed, low libido, ed, he made his diagnoses.

I started on Testim and a month later felt great and total T went to 500. First of this year ins quit paying for testim and moved me to Androgel. Three weeks ago T was at 400.

In this time I lost 35 lbs of lard and my entire life improved. Lifts are good (for me) and improving as I progress. But I fear the spreading of this stuff to my boy and my wife (she likes the new me, but not the meds on me). Tired of long sleeves and having to cover up and be so careful.

Sorry for the long read, getting to the point here. I have made a appt with an endo to try and find the cause of my hypogonadism (if that's what it is) and fix it or get on shots as apposed to the gel form of TRT.

I am weaning off of the androgel. Down to every other day application since the fist of the month. Going to twice per week starting with tomorrow's dose then nothing by the first week of June. New labs scheduled for last week of June.

Still feel good and lifts have not changed since I cut it in half. Some minor anger issues though.

What can I expect while weaning down to nothing?

Can an endo help me to target and fix my problem?

Thanks for you help!

Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob210; 05-14-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: sp

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    How about all the problems that you orinally saw the doctor for, I don't understand why you wouldn't want your testosterone levels to be in a normal range?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob210 View Post
    Hi all,
    What can I expect while weaning down to nothing?
    Bill

Epic Ed is offline Associate Member
    You can expect to feel like shit if your body's natural ability to produce testosterone hasn't miraculously regained the ability to start again. And I'm about 99.99% sure it hasn't. There probably is no contributing factor to your hypogonadism that can actually be corrected. That's why TRT is usually for life -- or as long as you want to feel vital, healthy, and in command of an erection like Thor wields his hammer.

There is no shame in being on an HRT program. I'd encourage you and your wife to get the notion out of your head that you're "taking drugs" because you're framing it as something that's undesirable and wrong. Would it be wrong for a diabetic to take insulin ? That's probably the best comparison to make. Both are conditions out of control of the person who has them, and both are mediated by a legit medical treatment.

It may be worth a shot to contact an aging & wellness clinic to see if running some hCG might help jump start your balls, but that's probably your only option of returning to natural -- and I wouldn't bet the farm on it being successful. The reason I recommend looking into an aging/wellness clinic is because a urologist or an endocrinologist isn't likely to view hCG as a viable option for treating your condition. Generally, their heads are up their ass relying on decades old research using older medical models and treatment protocols for men with testosterone issues. You might get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it.

If hCG doesn't work to restore your body's natural ability to produce test, suck it up and go with the injections of test cyp. It's a more reliable dose and costs a whole bunch less than any of that gel crap.
    Last edited by Epic Ed; 05-14-2010 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks guys. The other reason that I am doing this is because I DO have some faith that my body will be able to produce enough on it's own. I think this because at the time I started I was only a couple of months sober from being drunk most every day for 5 years and also on on antidepressants and mass amounts of Ibuprofen for pain (pain associated with past injuries and surgeries aggravated by my weight and sloth). My liver was in sad condition and I was borderline alcoholic heppatitis. My liver numbers are good, normal, now. I have very little pain now, I do not drink or take any pills. My liver was in pretty bad shape, but the liver is luckily one of the few organs that heals. So do you see why I am willing to take this chance? I asked my doc to switch me to shots and he said no. I have no idea what the endo will say. I am willing to endure a couple of months of feeling like crap if it means getting well or knowing for sure that I need the synthetic test. I can always get back on the androgel anytime I want, and will if I can't produce my own.

Thanks again Everyone!

Epic Ed: If a diabetic can cure their disease through diet and exercise, should they continue to take insilun?

Epic Ed is offline Associate Member
    It's worth a shot. Just depends on how badly shut down your system is, and there's only one way to find out. Ask him about hCG therapy to try to get your boys working again. Like the diabetic, sometimes a change in diet and exercise isn't enough. No harm in trying, though, if you're willing to endure the down side. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks again. I will ask both docs about hCG and will report my progress as I go through this. I just got home from the gym and my lifts were actually up! I have been on the half dose for almost two weeks now and I would assume that my test has dropped in that time (by half?). Yet I still feel pretty good, hope that is a good sign.

I appreciate everyone's input and advice - keep it coming. Doing some searches for other threads on the subject now.

Bill

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    you dont need to go off the gel to switch to shots...sorry if already said...long posts..just replying to the original post

Vettester is offline Banned
    Your LH/FSH numbers (then) look fine, so did they determine if your hypogonadism was primary? Just making sure they covered the bases with you on this and that there isn't any testicular issues going on.

I'd be curious what those numbers are today.

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, I just read your first post not the other ones.

Anyway, I see what your talking about and it makes sense to me. If your doctor has a heart at all he SHOULD prescribe Test cyp, or sust.

Keep us updated and good luck mate !

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    you dont need to go off the gel to switch to shots...sorry if already said...long posts..just replying to the original post
    GP doc say his office won't prescibe them (the doc who put me on T is no longer there, he would have done as I wished), that's why I'm heading to the endo, maybe they will.

Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08 View Post
    Your LH/FSH numbers (then) look fine, so did they determine if your hypogonadism was primary? Just making sure they covered the bases with you on this and that there isn't any testicular issues going on.

I'd be curious what those numbers are today.
    They took those numbers and diagnosed me as primary. I am curious too (today) and I think I am going to use the lab slip he gave me (to be used at the end of June) and do it at the end on May instead.

Edit: sorry vetteman08, thought I had put them in the first post. At the first of this month while still on daily androgel -

Total test - 400 (280-800)
    LH - .3 (1.7-8.6)
    FSH - .4 (1.5-12.4)
    Free test - 10.8 (6.8-21.5)

Thanks for your help and advice everyone!
    Last edited by BillyBob210; 05-16-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Add numbers

GP doc say his office won't prescibe them (the doc who put me on T is no longer there, he would have done as I wished), that's why I'm heading to the endo, maybe they will.
    ok...still dont need to come off test first

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    ok...still dont need to come off test first
    If I don't how can they get to the root of the problem. As I said, it may have been my damaged liver not playing it's role in the hormonal axis. Maybe that has corrected itself.

I have never cycled and my total test was just under 200 while I was still sick.

I intend to jump back on if my system doesn't kick start itself and will definitely be asking for the shots as apposed to the gel if my numbers are still too low at the end of June.

Also, it just occurred to me that I may be shooting myself in the foot with this whole thing. If I fall within the lab range, they will not prescibe either anymone. DAMN!

once youre prescribed it, it's easier to get a script for it...i had an rx from a family doctor and brought the old box with rx info label wrapped on it like it comes and got a doctor that i was seeing for back pain continue the prescription...

...about you saying get to the root of your problem, your first post said you have hypogonadism....didnt know that was curable...thus the androgel prescription....

you said you were doing great...only issue is you want shots...find a fvcking new doctor that isnt doing a visual rectal exam on himself

jpkman is right ... Some of these docs are self glorified. Got to stick it to the man if he won't let you stick it to yourself.

Got an appointment with a mens clinic this Wednesday. They don't take my insurance but after the initial fees he said he could set me up with the shots and hCG for around 160 per month (too much). I am going to let him look at my labs and hear him out. Then go back to my doc and see about him writing me some scripts. Also set up an appointment with a urologist I have seen in the past for advice, checkup and feel him out to see if he can write them.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by BillyBob210; 05-17-2010 at 09:26 AM.

Went to the anti-aging place for consultation. They suggested adding a couple of things (psa and estradiol) to my next labs. To my surprise my doc added them and I did the bloodwork this am. Meet with doc next tues to discuss, I am sure the numbers are in the toilet after 10 days at half dose of gel and 5 off completely. Then I meet with the anti-aging doc again on wednesday for first shot. Had my info wrong on costs in earlier post. it is 170 per month just for the test. hCG or anything else extra.

My body made my mind up for me. Crashing hard as of this am and put two packs of gel on right after doing the blood work!

What should I be asking this doc for except the T? What questions should I be aking them? They seem cool with anything, lots of BB customers/patients.

Thanks guys

Bill

Went to the anti-aging place for consultation. They suggested adding a couple of things (psa and estradiol) to my next labs. To my surprise my doc added them and I did the bloodwork this am. Meet with doc next tues to discuss, I am sure the numbers are in the toilet after 10 days at half dose of gel and 5 off completely. Then I meet with the anti-aging doc again on wednesday for first shot. Had my info wrong on costs in earlier post. it is 170 per month just for the test. hCG or anything else extra.

My body made my mind up for me. Crashing hard as of this am and put two packs of gel on right after doing the blood work!

What should I be asking this doc for except the T? What questions should I be aking them? They seem cool with anything, lots of BB customers/patients.

Thanks guys

Bill
    Holy Toledo on the price, Batman! They're sticking it to you, hard!

For now, you might need to go with this place for just a bit until you get it dialed in, then you can swing it over to a place that won't gouge you like this. I'd say shop it a bit, but right now you can't afford to crash and keep going through these lows.

HCG is one thing that you'll be wanting to talk with them, and probably a little AI. I've also become a BIG fan with including injection B12 with my weekly shots, so that might be something to consider. I just hate to think what their tally is going to be with all that added up.

How much "T" was the Anti-Aging place going to give you? Are they actually giving it to you to take at home, or do you have to go to their clinic?

Don't know the amount yet but said They will get me to a total T of 1000 to 1250 (sound right?) they said that they would show me the first time and I would do it myself weekly after that. Know more on wed.

Thanks

This is all on hold until I can budget the money but thanks everyone for your replies.

As a side note: If you are on doctor prescribed TRT - never try to wean yourself off. This was a terrible experience indeed, I know, you told me so!. Back on the gel now for a week and I am still not right. Made another thread about that.

Thanks again

This is all on hold until I can budget the money but thanks everyone for your replies.

As a side note: If you are on doctor prescribed TRT - never try to wean yourself off. This was a terrible experience indeed, I know, you told me so!. Back on the gel now for a week and I am still not right. Made another thread about that.

Thanks again
    Sorry to hear this man. Crashing sucks!

Thanks again
    i wont say it

Thread Information