Perrin195 is offline New Member

Newbie looking for advice

I'm 33 and have been lifting since high school. I've never used anything you couldn't get at a supplement store,but have tried a lot there. Just a few years ago I was in good shape, a few years before excellent shape. I used to be 100% happy with my body and got to laugh off the non-stop steroid accusations.

Now I'm the type that wouldn't take my shirt off at the pool. I'm 30lbs over weight. I'm tired all the time. I had a sprained ankle and wrist that took months to heal. I'm going downhill fast and I want to put a stop to it! I exercise and diet very well. At least I plan well. I don't have the energy to do what I used to do. I'm not a newbie in exercise/fitnees, a I have M.S., certifications and experience. I used to feel maybe my natural test was high. I was bigger, stronger and worked harder than anyone I knew or saw at the gym (small college town). Now my workouts are way below what I try to make them. I coach football and used to be energized by jumping in and going full on with the kids, now I have no desire. I've tried some natural test supplements, and have had some good results. Some of them make me feel a little better some of the time.

Do you think it's possible I have low test? I'm not quite ready to see the Dr. yet. My insurance won't pay for "anti-aging hormones". I'm a little afraid of what the out of pocket costs could be. I would just love to get back to how I felt when I was 30 let alone 25!!! Does anyone have experience with self-treatment. I've thought about doing it myself (maybe cheaper?). I used to think I had no need for steroids , but now I'm even considering cycling.

bowers32 is offline Junior Member
    First, you came to the right place... this board is chokefull of really good guys who know their shit. They will have great advice better than anything I could give. Having said that, think first and foremost you need a bloodtest to see where your levels are.

That's the only way to truly ascertain if it is fact a hormonal problem ( ie low test and/or high estrogen etc...). You can also find out how your thyroid and pitutary are doing.

The one issue you may have is finding a doc that will agree to test for all that you need. If you can't find one that will, there are some online places that you can pay to have lab work done.

The only other advice I have is that if you ever do decide to start on a TRT program... go slow... don't jump in with both feet and believe me you will want to. What protocol works for one guy will not work for the other on... our bodies are all different and handle meds/drugs differently.

Good luck

Epic Ed is offline Associate Member
    The only way to find out if you have low test is with blood work. It should be no big deal to schedule a full physical and have the doc incorporate a comprehensive blood panel as part of your check up. Get the BW result back and go from there. A GP doc might not be will to script for TRT, especially if your numbers are in the low range of normal.

The HRT clinics are not prohibitively expensive if you're just doing test cyp. I think it's absolutely freakin ridiculous that we can't talk about pricing or sources of completely legal and legitimate HRT therapy on this board, but that's the policy. I'd be happy to email you further details about what you can expect to pay.

Perrin195 is offline New Member
    I did check into my insurance more and if perscribed by a dr. for reasons other than aging, I could get test. I would have to pay more for self-administered. With my work schedule it would be possible for me to go to the Dr. most of the year if I had too. Feel free to email me if you have more on prices of legal hrt.

durak is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic Ed View Post
    absolutely freakin ridiculous that we can't talk about pricing or sources of completely legal and legitimate HRT therapy on this board
    Oh so true. These are not even real "sources" because you have to go via legal routes and meet criteria.

Jadam is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic Ed View Post
    The only way to find out if you have low test is with blood work. It should be no big deal to schedule a full physical and have the doc incorporate a comprehensive blood panel as part of your check up. Get the BW result back and go from there. A GP doc might not be will to script for TRT, especially if your numbers are in the low range of normal.

The HRT clinics are not prohibitively expensive if you're just doing test cyp. I think it's absolutely freakin ridiculous that we can't talk about pricing or sources of completely legal and legitimate HRT therapy on this board, but that's the policy. I'd be happy to email you further details about what you can expect to pay.
    I totally agree with your last part. It's tough to find good info about this and it isn't breaking the law. Kind of weird.

Welcome to the board. I can speak for someone who is paying out of pocket and like all things, it pays to shop around. I never really considered "shopping" for med tests or even medication until I began down the TRT road. Unfortunately, I've been out of work for some time, hence no insurance. The good news is, you'd be surprised what you can save if you shop around. Recently, I had a rather extensive blood panel done and it would have cost me almost $600. I shopped around and ended up paying just $110. Granted I had to break it up between two different labs, i.e. once test in one lab, the rest at another; but it was worth it.

For instance, a "Total Testosterone " blood test from my doctor's office is $95, I called an independent lab and they wanted $125 and I found my local hospital only charges *$15*!!! Plus I get a residency discount and a cash discount on top of that. [FYI- If you are paying out of pocket ALWAYS ask for a cash discount if you plan to pay up front. Even for your doctors visits.]

As for getting your physician to agree to giving you the test, try the following site; it made all the difference for me. Take the test, print the results and take it to your doctor. ADAM Questionnaire for Low T

Lastly, my doctor started me on Androgel , a daily self-administered gel you rub on. It's quite expensive but in my case, I explained I was paying out of pocket so my doctor gave me free samples. [VERY COOL Dr.!] Eventually I went to self injection because it's much cheaper in the long run. [Plus I couldn't depend on my doc for the free samples forever.]

As far as where to get it, once you have a prescription, you can get it at any pharmacy. ***Again- SHOP AROUND***!!! I saved about $50 a vial by going to Costco. Everyone is different so it's hard to say what type of treatment you will need or how much. I can say, in my case, I self-inject 200mg once a week. It cost me about $10 a shot and I get 10 weeks out of a vial.

Hope that helps, Good luck!

P.S. I forget if it's already been mentioned but you should get your thyroid checked too.

Thread Information