Thread: Advice

setian is offline Associate Member

Advice

I have my first ever appt with a endo doctor tomorrow. I hate going to docs. I Rarely ever do see one.

I am going in because my testosterone levels were 277 and my free was 7.1. Both on the low end. I also actually do always feel tired, lazy, no drive, etc...

Any advice from other people here on what to expect from this type of doctor? I am sure they will have me get more blood work done. I just did this last blood work on my own. So I will bring in the copies of the tests for reference.

I am hoping they don't tell me to go on some anti-depression med or something stupid like that. With or without TRT I want to use testosterone . But this way I can get it cheaper and easier.

Any tips on what to tell them?

Vettester is offline Banned
    A lot of it just depends on the doctor you get.

BTW, how old are you, and did they run an MRI yet or make any ruling if they thought it was primary or secondary causing the low "T"? Maybe that's going to be the objective of the new endo.

Best method is to just tell the guy straight out how you're feeling, and let him know that your research has led you to believe that TRT is the viable way to go. You'll know pretty quick if the guy is for real or if he's going to complicate things. As I tell others, cross your fingers!

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Good advice from vette...i would be pissed if an endo tried to sell my on anti d's...surprise i know...but yes...you obviously are looking to get that test level up and optimum so tell him thats what you want and of course youre going to want to make sure with another bloodwork and all precautions and steps vette mentioned but you've taken the first step which puts you way ahead of A LOT of people

good luck and keep us posted

welcome, btw, i've never seen you post b4

Thanks guys,

I am 31, 5'9", 230 lbs
    lifting over 15 years

I go tomorrow to get checked out. I bet it's not going to be much until after their official blood test.

Yeah they are having me do another blood test from their lab along with testing more things like prolactin, tsh 3rd gen, lh, test, vitamin D, etc....

The doc said they never give people shots unless they are over 50 years old and that's a maybe he said. He said there goal is to use the gel Testim so you are at a constant level of test all the time. He said if I could maintain 500 test level than that would be optimum.

Kinda makes me sad. I would much rather be on the high side like 900+ and not use the gel crap!

I will get their blood test done to make sure there are no glaring issues with me and then go try another endo doctor out.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Kinda makes me sad. I would much rather be on the high side like 900+ and not use the gel crap!
    Then self-medicate...... If the doctor is too old fashioned to help you take things into your own hands or try another doctor but doing it your self is likely the cheaper way to go anyways.

Hehe I am starting to think that the "self medicate" is the best option

He said the Testim would "reset" my system? Making me produce around 500 or so naturally again? Is this for real?

You're kind of in a tough spot. A lot of the clinics don't start talking to guys til their 35, which leaves the predicament of having to deal with that doctor of yours.

I love how some of these docs just make this shit up on the fly. E.g., won't think of giving shots unless 50+, or they decide what the perfect score is for you, in this case it's 500 ... Seriously, where do they come up with this stuff?

Next time you see this guy, ask him if he knows why the anti aging clinics continue to grow and expand at a record pace ... He will look at you kind of puzzled and confused, then tell him it's because of doctors like him.

Epic Ed is offline Associate Member
    No, it's bullshit. Test is test. Route of administration has nothing to do with the ability to restore or shut down your natural test production. If you're taking test in any form you are causing your body to further shut down it's natural capacity to do so. For those of us on TRT it doesn't much matter -- we weren't producing squat, anyways.

The doc can also give you no legit reason to put you on gel and refuse to administer via injection. There is no reason. Doctor preference for route of administration is strictly personal preference. You're probably not going to have much better luck with a different endo. Feel free to check it out, but you're probably going to end up going with an HRT clinic to get what you want.

Ed is right on! I forgot to comment on that post about the testim restoring the natty ... Like Ed said, it's BS. Again, the problem with a lot of these guys is that they just make stuff up on the fly.

I just called my ins company and the good news is they don't cover the Testim crap that the endo doctor's facility likes to sell. They even have ads/flyers up all over trying to push Testim. No wonder he said they don't do injections. They want to make money.

My ins only covers androgel and 80% of testosterone cypionate . So I will go to a new doc soon and tell him my ins only covers the test cyp and see what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by setian View Post
    No wonder he said they don't do injections. They want to make money.
    This. You nailed it.

If ins only covers 80% of test cyp I'd take them up on that offer. A vial of 10mL only cost about $100 at most pharmacies. 80% of that is only $20 out of your pocket. If you're on 100mg EW a vial of test cyp = 10mL and should last you for 20 weeks. That's peanuts per day. Take that option if it's all you've got. I'm actually shocked that ins will cover ALL of the gel and only 80% of the test cyp. The gel cost exponentially more than the test cyp. A one month supply can run you upwards of $300 out of pocket. I know the ins company pays less than that but it's still not cheaper than the injectable.

Setian, good job for seeing these clowns for what they're worth. It's no different than what lobbyist do in D.C. The doc has his own agenda and he'll push what's best for him, not you. That's one main reason why the system has gone wrong.

Agree with Ed ... Take the 80% all day and everyday, never look back!

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    i LOATHE those doctors...i know, surprising

Finally got my 2nd blood results back. The docs nurse called me.
    Said my vitamin D was very low at 20 (40-100).
    My free test was 41.3 (46-100).
    My test level was 246.

She said that I am borderline where they usually don't prescribe anything. But she is getting me some prescription strength vitamin D, hahahah.

Time to search for a real doc that wants to actually help me.

coop1212 is offline Junior Member
    No kidding!

I am so sick of seeing stories like yours where the doc refuses to do anything for the patient because they are "borderline" within range. That's bullshit. Good luck exploring alternatives. Help is out there.

Thread Information