badleo is offline New Member

Just been to the doc

Hi Guys

Im 24 and have not felt right for a while also thought i had low test from about 17 as have never felt quite the same. Ive just come back from the doctor and hes currently treating me for low mood. I asked if he could check my test when he did the bloods. It came back and he said it was 11. I know thats not very helpful figure and im guessing hes talking about free (test not sure). He said its on the low side for someone my age but said he isnt to concerned and has sent me for another to test the full spectrum again just to check. Should i have any worries and just wondering what your thoughts are?

thanks again in advance for anything that may help

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    It's no use to worry about a situation untill you have all the facts. Why waste the time and energy. Why do you feel like you have had low test for all these years? did you do something that would contribute to it? Are you taking any prescription meds?

Quote Originally Posted by ottomaddox View Post
    It's no use to worry about a situation untill you have all the facts. Why waste the time and energy. Why do you feel like you have had low test for all these years? did you do something that would contribute to it? Are you taking any prescription meds?
    thanks for the quick reply. I don't believe that Ive done anything that would contribute to it or taken any prescription meds over time. Just have always had the classic symptoms after about 17 low libido, fat accumulation around the waist but quite lean everywhere else fatigue etc. I realize that there are a lot of other things that play a role or a responsible for similar symptoms but didnt have when i was younger than 17. I will wait for the rest of the facts first but is it unusual to have low test this early in life?

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    alot of factors other then low test could have caused those symptoms, bad diet, sleep, exercise etc.

wait til u get your results back.

tubs is offline Associate Member
    make sure to get a copy of the blood work so if you want to ask questions you will your levels

but yea why worry at this point, low test is a easy fix

thanks for the advice guys will be back in two weeks when i get the results

I just got my second set of results back. I'm afraid i cant be too helpful as he couldn't give me numbers. The endo advised him there were no problems and they were all within normal range (i Know that's not useful as i tried explaining too him). If all the results have fallen within normal range could i be suffereing from adrenal fatigue? I would of had very high cortisol as i have a very stressful job and seem to have had a lot of the symptoms. Would this have caused the feelings of low t? I started eating a paleo style diet for the health benefits a few days ago.

The doctor believes its mood related and Ive been on citralopram 20mg ED for 2 weeks and believes things will feel better and libido will return when my mood does. Does anyone have any useful advice as im quite confused what too do now

n00bs is offline Member
    Hey mate i feel for you..

Can you tell me why your dr wouldnt give you your results?

Where are you exactly If your in the states there are somegood dr's if your in australia i know some good ones here.

Thyroid and adrenals can mimick hypogonaidsm but you need to find out if you are primary or secondary first I.e your nuts dont work or your brain wont tell your nuts to work..

Please do not worry about this. I am 23 and have started TRT myself and i was worried at first but alot of reading and studying soon left me with a wealth of knowledge. Head over to www.allthingsmale.com for alot of infomation..

Unfortunatley without labs i can comment on anything for you other then if the range is 8-50 and you are 11 then that is obviously a problem..

Endos seem tog et caught up in numbers and unless a little * doesnt appear next to a lab vlaue everyhting is ok to go!

I despise them...

How is your diet and sleep at the moment?

Vitmain intake ect?

There are path labs in america that you can order your own tests if your idiot dr refuses to give your to you.

There is light at the end so dont worry my friend.

Of course dr's believe its mood related. But if you have low t and adrnal fatique of course your mood will be ****ed! We really need to see the labs... My gp tried to convince me my below range vlaues were normal and tried to get me to take beta blockers and ssri;s so i didnt "uneccisarily worry".

Thanks noobs. Im not sure if the doctor had the figures or he was just passed the message that they were ok even tho i did ask for them. He only said not to worry and we can run them again in a few week when your mood picks up. Citalopram is an ssri that he put me on 2 weeks ago. Think he believes when it kicks in that will start to solve my problems. I appreciate the endo comment i understand.

Im in the UK so its national health service im afraid. Ive gone with a plaeo diet a few days ago just to see if it helps my adrenal gland ie all natural diet fruit, veg meat healthy fats but low carb. I take a strong multi vit/ mineral, a separate b complex and 3g of vit c a day as well. I supplement fish oil aswell 15-20g per day. Im taking 12g of insoitol a day to help alleviate my mood.

I asked him about DHEA as i thought i might help if my adrenals are weak at the moment but he said we can talk about that in a few weeks when im feeling better. I still believe like you my mood low due to low levels of t

n00bs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badleo View Post
    Thanks noobs. Im not sure if the doctor had the figures or he was just passed the message that they were ok even tho i did ask for them. He only said not to worry and we can run them again in a few week when your mood picks up. Citalopram is an ssri that he put me on 2 weeks ago. Think he believes when it kicks in that will start to solve my problems. I appreciate the endo comment i understand.

Im in the UK so its national health service im afraid. Ive gone with a plaeo diet a few days ago just to see if it helps my adrenal gland ie all natural diet fruit, veg meat healthy fats but low carb. I take a strong multi vit/ mineral, a separate b complex and 3g of vit c a day as well. I supplement fish oil aswell 15-20g per day. Im taking 12g of insoitol a day to help alleviate my mood.

I asked him about DHEA as i thought i might help if my adrenals are weak at the moment but he said we can talk about that in a few weeks when im feeling better. I still believe like you my mood low due to low levels of t
    Please realise ssri's are not the answer!

I have been on them for 12 years or so!

All they did is mask problems and it is a cirme that no one wants to find the route of a problem instead they turn you into a guarenteed $$$ sum everymonth for your repeat of whatever anti depressant they give you..

All i can say is do some research...

See a natropath or a nutritionist. I never realised how important vitamins were until i decided to become a nutritionist myself (currently studying).

SSRI"S will make your hypothalamus laggy, and add to the low T problems... Then that will increase adipose tissue (fat) increase aromatase (what testosterone uses to turn into oestrogen) ... Then you will become oestrogen logged as ssri's **** with the p450 enzymatic pathways of the liver that are used for drug, toxin rmeoval and homrone metabolism leading to lower test and feeling like shit and need more anti depressants....

I bet the dr never once looked at your diet or nutrient intake?

Im going to assume not.. A simple vitmain deficiency can cause "mood" changes equel to clinical depression.

I suppose its sad for me i have taken the pill in the matrix and left the system now i can look back and see exactly how bad it is.. This isnt always ideal it is nice to fee a safety net of "medicine. dr's hospitals" around you.. But the more you delve into your problems the more you find out they either

1.dont know
    2. dont care
    3. dont have a "drug" to instantly fix your problem so we will load you up with benzos and ssri's...

Sorry to rant i just dont want another person falling through the failed system especially someone so young.

I would up vitmain c to sub laxative level.. Meaning 1 gram added everyday until you see bowel problems (this depends on you perosnally, i put a friend with cancer on high oral asorbic acid, he hasnt noticed any bowel problems and he is on 35g daily now).

The theraputic dosage is 1g less then bowel issues. So increase 1 g daily till you notice bowel problems then drop back 1 g that is your dosage. Reasses in a 3 months...

Make sure you have a good EPA/DHA fishoil, avoid processed foods sugars flour ect ( you seem to be doing that) avoid caffeine at everycost!! No artificial sweetners perservatives ect. Make sure you take your b complex twice daily morning after rbeakfast and once at night after dinner..

Also MAGNESIUM is your friend!

Maybe look at small 5htp dosages but you would need to speak to your nutritional dr about that.

There is so much you can do. But we need labs to see what is going on first...

thanks again noobs. The anti depressants were due to low symptoms of serotonin as i was at breaking point work, life etc. The dr felt it was the right way to set me straight and it wasn't til i mentioned the symptoms of low t would he think about running it. He took those bloods first with three other sets where i think he would have covered pretty much everything not sure. I don't know what they were unfortunately but i have no results for any of the tests Ive had so far.

No questions were asked about nutrient or diet. He probably doesn't think my T is an issue as i do have reasonable muscle, all he said is i thought it would be a bit higher looking at me, not realizing Ive worked my butt off for 6years and eat well to get my shape even though its not that good(ie low test). I'm 5,9 and 180lb i couldn't give an accurate estimate of body fat as my stomach, hips and chest hold severely more fat than any other part of my body. ie if you looked at some of my body you might think 12% look at the other three areas you would think 20%+!!

Thanks for the supplement advice. The fish oil is of very good quality that i buy from my protein supplier. I had stomach issues on 3g a day of vit c to start with a week ago and now they have settled. So increase it? I take ZMA before bed but i believe i cant take 5htp with the ssri's. Unfortunately i cant just stop taking them now but will encourage my doc to make them a short course.

this is the b complex im taking do i need more than one a day http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/..._super_complex

I'm going back to the doc this week and want to run some blood tests again. Can anyone give me a comprehensive list of what to get checked please? I know that i want him to check DHEA and prolactin this time as well as im not sure it was done last time.

n00bs is offline Member
    If low serotonin is the reason forSsris then 5htp is a good alternate for ssris bunyoumneed to be under the care of a qualfied person for dosage. I self medicated while I was on a low dose of effexor but it was to combatthe withdra effects helped alot if you work with a natropath and a dr you can be on 5htp and then the lowest amount of ssri needed. But it can be dangerous together in regulated... If it is simply depression then naturalness your best bet. Once you start looking into phsycosis anxiety OCD disorders then the ball game changes again.

Your depression could simply be testosterone related.

Tests

Total testosterone
    Ft3
    Ft4
    Rt3
    Prolactin
    Progesterone
    Cortisol saliva 4x daily
    Free testosterone
    Ultra sensitive estradiol (e2)
    Shbg
    Zinc serum
    Dheas
    Lh
    Fsh
    Tsh
    Last edited by n00bs; 07-05-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added tests sorry not in logical order phone sucks for net

thanks for all the help noobs so far. I think the low serotonin may have been caused by extreme stress/cortisol from years like (3+) of severe stress at work. I realize my health is important and think its time to look for a new job. Is there any other tests to run or should that cover everything? thanks again. Any mileage in running

insulin
    total vitamin d 25-OH
    Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c)
    Last edited by badleo; 07-06-2010 at 04:38 AM. Reason: forgot the tests

n00bs is offline Member
    thanks for all the help noobs so far. I think the low serotonin may have been caused by extreme stress/cortisol from years like (3+) of severe stress at work. I realize my health is important and think its time to look for a new job. Is there any other tests to run or should that cover everything? thanks again. Any mileage in running

insulin
    total vitamin d 25-OH
    Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c)
    Cant hurt mate, just depends on your insurance or how much you want to cover yourself, I could give you pages of tests whether or not your dr does them is another story...

true. Its national health service so its no cost to me but depends how willing the doc is really. Thanks again mate

n00bs is offline Member
    true. Its national health service so its no cost to me but depends how willing the doc is really. Thanks again mate
    Not a problem mate, a good doc will want to do alot of testingbefore he puts you on a treatment for life.. A quack however will not..

cheers again noobs you've been a big help. I'm back to the dr this Friday to talk things threw again and get him to run the bloods again. Any mileage in running DHEA as ive read a lot of good things about it relieving the symptoms im suffering from? However i realise that im trying to get my bloods tested so will throw the results and it can be suppresive

BillyBob210 is offline Junior Member
    [QUOTE=n00bs;5249935]

It surely was the culprit in my case. I was on Effexor, Wellbutrin and Clonozapam (sp) for two years and it only made things worse. Weaned off of those (and booze) and started TRT. Depression gone within a month.

[QUOTE=BillyBob210;5253641]
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bs View Post

It surely was the culprit in my case. I was on Effexor, Wellbutrin and Clonozapam (sp) for two years and it only made things worse. Weaned off of those (and booze) and started TRT. Depression gone within a month.
    cheers billy its my thought too. Its a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I think my low mood is caused by my hormones and my doc thinks my hormones arnt right because my mood is low...

cjw2021 is offline Banned
    [QUOTE=badleo;5254374]
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob210 View Post

cheers billy its my thought too. Its a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I think my low mood is caused by my hormones and my doc thinks my hormones arnt right because my mood is low...
    That's a shame. If a doc told me my mood is causing low testosterone I would drop him like a hot potato. The other guy was on clonazopam? Lol that is literally a chemical lobotomy - watch out guy!

just got back from the doctors again and good news and bad really. The good news is hes getting someone better at the hospital to look at my test results again to get a better idea (still have no details tho). However he has doubled my dose to 40mg of citralopram to see if it helps

Thread Information