Thread: Deal With It!

BillyBob210 is offline Junior Member

Deal With It!

OK, I have hypogonadism and I will be on TRT for the rest of my life. I can live with that. But why am I hypogonadic?

Some people can just take the diagnosis and move forward because they are on TRT and feel better than they have in years. I too am on TRT and feel better than I have in years, but I still don't know why I have hypogonadism and it bothers me.

Had all the blood work and I am for sure primary. Pituitary and thyroids are fine.

I have been to many doctors and all they can tell me is that my nuts don't work any more. None can tell me why.

Does it really matter why? I think so.

43yr old average joe, lifting 3-4 times per wk, eat well, sleep good.

Never did any AAS so can't blame it on that.

Have you investigated further or just resigned yourself to their findings and moved on?

Bill

Vettester is offline Banned
    Bill,

I'm the same age as you and I kind of went through a similar quest when I first found out that I had hypogonadism. Mine is secondary and the pituitary looks fine, but it only produces a little LH/FSH.

I've resolved myself that this is a natural course in life. Just as women go through menopause, we too go through a cycle called andropause . It's been going on for a very long time, but we're the fortunate generation that can address this issue head-on and manipulate our intended genetic destinies if you will with modern medicine and technologies.

Hope this gives you little different perspective to think about. Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08 View Post
    Bill,

I'm the same age as you and I kind of went through a similar quest when I first found out that I had hypogonadism. Mine is secondary and the pituitary looks fine, but it only produces a little LH/FSH.

I've resolved myself that this is a natural course in life. Just as women go through menopause, we too go through a cycle called andropause . It's been going on for a very long time, but we're the fortunate generation that can address this issue head-on and manipulate our intended genetic destinies if you will with modern medicine and technologies.

Hope this gives you little different perspective to think about. Hang in there.
    Thanks Bro!

We are the fortunate generation and i think it is our place to share this with the world. It is not real easy to talk about this with your real life friends (or here) but I have plenty of friends that could benifit from HRT. I get more comfortable with it every day and I encourage everyone to embrace and share this.

I have been lurking around here for a while and have only posted a bit. I see that hundreds of people read these posts, but only a few respond. Chime in guys and gals!!! -We are all here for the same reason! Don't know about you you, but I did plenty of searching before I found a place that I felt comfortable talking about this stuff.

Bill

Regular guy is offline Junior Member
    My brother, you are currently in the "stages of grief," it's 100% natural. Fortunately it will pass after you progress along. But the most fortunate of circumstances are for us that as this is all managable with meds.

FWIW- I went through a very similar feeling/rational when I came up positive on a PPD ( test for exposure to TB). Many ppl that get diagnosed with something this grand go through the very same feelings/stages.

I'm one of those who's just grateful to have found an answer after so many years. I'm 42 and it's been nearly 20 years now that my life has been adversely affected by LowT. However, I only learned I had it a year ago. At that time I too went through the whole range of emotions. I was devastated, angry, p!ssed off, hurt, etc. I too wonder just how such a thing could have happened. I even began to blame myself. Why me? What did I do wrong? What did I do to deserve this? And then I realized, it's not my fault. Nor was it my fault for all the things that I resented about myself over the years. It was the LowT all along. Oh well, sh!t happens. I suppose it could be genetic, environment, or something brought on by trauma. The truth is, most of us may never know. I lost quite a bit to this affliction, but here we are now. I'm looking at this as an opportunity to live the life I was denied. Most people never get a second chance. I'm just grateful to have mine. The worst thing any of us could do is get hung up on the why, and let it prevent us from living out the rest of our lives. Welcome to the site, you're among friends here. We're all in the same boat and no one is going to judge you. As you're likely finding out, living with hypogonadism is about more than taking testosterone . It's a pretty complex process and the key is dialing in the regimen that's right for you. Use the resources available here and find your plan. Like you said, it does get easier over time, just hang in there. Best of luck!
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 07-11-2010 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by forrest_and_trees View Post
    Most people never get a second chance. I'm just grateful to have mine.
    Forrest, you made a lot of KEY points in your post. However, the two (2) sentences above nail it on the head. This is indeed that 2nd chance! Like I said, we are the fortunate generation.

Ageed! Thanks guys!

valencia1 is offline Junior Member
    BillyBob - You may want to have your iron levels checked. Mine get very high due to a genetic condition which is often mis-diagnosed, (in my opinion). High iron is very hard on your organs and especially things like the pituitary. Check with your doc to see if your ferratin or iron saturation are above normal.
    This can be treated but once the damage is done it is too late so I am on HRT for life. If anyone is interested you can google Hemochromatosis.

Quote Originally Posted by valencia1 View Post
    BillyBob - You may want to have your iron levels checked. Mine get very high due to a genetic condition which is often mis-diagnosed, (in my opinion). High iron is very hard on your organs and especially things like the pituitary. Check with your doc to see if your ferratin or iron saturation are above normal.
    This can be treated but once the damage is done it is too late so I am on HRT for life. If anyone is interested you can google Hemochromatosis.
    This could very well be the root of my issues. I'm carry the gene for hemochromatosis. Ferritin levels have been over 1400 at times in my life.

This could very well be the root of my issues. I'm carry the gene for hemochromatosis. Ferritin levels have been over 1400 at times in my life.
    Yeah, 1400 is pretty high. Are you seeing a Hemotologist to get the ferritin down? I have about 500ml of blood removed, (phlebotomy) every 3 months and it keeps iron levels in check. But every now and then I get out of whack and have to go more often.

The ranges below are pretty unscientific since I don't know the units being used, but I know that my doctor tries to keep my Ferritin between 50 and 70 and Iron Saturation below 50%. When the discussion gets more detailed than that I glaze over...

Ferritin (range 22-322)
    Iron (range 49-181)
    Iron Binding Capacity (range 250-450)
    Iron Saturation (%18-50)

Yeah, 1400 is pretty high. Are you seeing a Hemotologist to get the ferritin down? I have about 500ml of blood removed, (phlebotomy) every 3 months and it keeps iron levels in check. But every now and then I get out of whack and have to go more often.
    No, like everything else with my provider, if you're not in "their" requirement zone, then they just send you packing. In this case the requirement needed for doing phlebotomy is confirmed hemochromotosis. My liver biopsy (which put me in bed for 2 weeks) showed carrier only. 1000+ Ferritin score doesn't matter to them at this point.

Apologies to BillyBob for getting off topic, but it is important that everyone looks at this test for themselves just to make sure it isn't a factor.

coop1212 is offline Junior Member
    I think a lot of guys are quiet about low t. But they don't know what they are missing. On Mondays, I can my test shot,cup of coffee, and some loud rock and roll and off to work I go. I feel great now.

No, like everything else with my provider, if you're not in "their" requirement zone, then they just send you packing. In this case the requirement needed for doing phlebotomy is confirmed hemochromotosis. My liver biopsy (which put me in bed for 2 weeks) showed carrier only. 1000+ Ferritin score doesn't matter to them at this point.

Apologies to BillyBob for getting off topic, but it is important that everyone looks at this test for themselves just to make sure it isn't a factor.
    Agree, sorry to BB for hijacking your thread but I know that high iron is a silent killer for men and deserves some attention for guys looking into the cause of low T. When I was between health plans I went to Red Cross and another blood doner location for two years and just "gave blood" as often as they would let me to keep my iron levels down. It is not like hemochromotosis can be transmitted via blood transfusions and most ppl would love to get our iron rich blood. Just a thought.

Agree, sorry to BB for hijacking your thread but I know that high iron is a silent killer for men and deserves some attention for guys looking into the cause of low T. When I was between health plans I went to Red Cross and another blood doner location for two years and just "gave blood" as often as they would let me to keep my iron levels down. It is not like hemochromotosis can be transmitted via blood transfusions and most ppl would love to get our iron rich blood. Just a thought.
    No worries guys. I will look into the iron idea. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Regular guy View Post
    My brother, you are currently in the "stages of grief," it's 100% natural. Fortunately it will pass after you progress along. But the most fortunate of circumstances are for us that as this is all managable with meds.

FWIW- I went through a very similar feeling/rational when I came up positive on a PPD ( test for exposure to TB). Many ppl that get diagnosed with something this grand go through the very same feelings/stages.

You are right. I never thought of it as a stage of grief but it makes sense. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by forrest_and_trees View Post
    I'm one of those who's just grateful to have found an answer after so many years. I'm 42 and it's been nearly 20 years now that my life has been adversely affected by LowT. However, I only learned I had it a year ago. At that time I too went through the whole range of emotions. I was devastated, angry, p!ssed off, hurt, etc. I too wonder just how such a thing could have happened. I even began to blame myself. Why me? What did I do wrong? What did I do to deserve this? And then I realized, it's not my fault. Nor was it my fault for all the things that I resented about myself over the years. It was the LowT all along. Oh well, sh!t happens. I suppose it could be genetic, environment, or something brought on by trauma. The truth is, most of us may never know. I lost quite a bit to this affliction, but here we are now. I'm looking at this as an opportunity to live the life I was denied. Most people never get a second chance. I'm just grateful to have mine. The worst thing any of us could do is get hung up on the why, and let it prevent us from living out the rest of our lives. Welcome to the site, you're among friends here. We're all in the same boat and no one is going to judge you. As you're likely finding out, living with hypogonadism is about more than taking testosterone. It's a pretty complex process and the key is dialing in the regimen that's right for you. Use the resources available here and find your plan. Like you said, it does get easier over time, just hang in there. Best of luck!
    Thanks Forrest - good post

Thread Information