How important is it to know your "free" testosterone levels?

I've been on TRT for a year now and I've never had my "free" levels checked. I even just had a complete "Deluxe Male Anti-Aging" panel and even it did not include "free" levels, only Test Serum; which I am assuming is the same as Total since the levels and range seem to match.

So my question is, how important is it to know your free levels? I would have thought that if it were *that* important, it would have been included in the panel or at least my doc would have requested it. I hear others here talk about it from time to time and I'm wondering if I'm missing out on some important info. What's the story?

Vettester is offline Banned
    It's good to run your free test on occasion so you know what % is actually unbound and is bioavailable for use. 2% to 3% is a good place to be.

On your "Deluxe" male test, check to see where your SHBG levels are at. High levels of SHBG could be an indicator that your free test levels are low. Your labs should have also included albumin. If so, here's a calculator to help you identify your approximate score:

http://www.issam.ch/freetesto.htm

Keep up the dedication, Forrest! It's obvious that you've come along way with your program.

Thanks much Vette and thanks for the support! You've been a *huge* help!

P.S. No SHBG on my last panel.
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 08-12-2010 at 03:28 PM.

flatscat is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think it is critical. You could be over 1000 total and your free is crap - there have some some guys on here with that problem. Free is king and imho should be the standard determination of whether your protocol is working for you. So many things can take up t, and you should know where you stand.

Flats

Quote Originally Posted by forrest_and_trees View Post
    Thanks much Vette and thanks for the support! You've been a *huge* help!

P.S. No SHBG on my last panel.
    I'd include SHBG on future panel.

Was just checking the tests available online and it appears that "Serum" and "Total" T are two separate tests. Now I'm confused. My latest test only included Serum, I had assumed it was the same as Total; but apparently not. What gives? Also, if I test my "Free T" do I still need to know my SHBG? Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by forrest_and_trees View Post
    Was just checking the tests available online and it appears that "Serum" and "Total" T are two separate tests. Now I'm confused. My latest test only included Serum, I had assumed it was the same as Total; but apparently not. What gives? Also, if I test my "Free T" do I still need to know my SHBG? Am I missing something here?
    Forrest, it just must be a duplicate or something. Most labs will show Total Testosterone , Serum ... It's all one in the same. Serum is just reference to the blood sample obtained.

If you're getting charged 'a la carte', then go with the SHBG and just use the calculator link I sent you to figure out your Free Test. Just make sure your albumin is included, which should be standard in any metabolic panel.

I was thinking about a "bundled" test with the following:

Includes:
    Total testosterone ,
    % Free+Weakly Bound Testosterone,
    F+W Bound Testosterone

And then a separate test for the Estradiol. They have one that includes "sensitive" for a few bucks more. Is that even necessary?

Just as a note, even their, "Male Ultimate Anti-Aging Panel" which is their *most* comprehensive AA panel does not include "Free T". I wonder why that is.

Includes "sensitive" ... What does that mean?

It's a type of test used for checking E2 levels and is usually referred to as "Estradiol Ultra-Sensative" however, this particular test site just calls it "Estradiol, sensitive".

From what I gather, it's supposed to be more accurate.

From the test site:

Estradiol, Sensitive

Description: This sensitive estradiol assay is designed for the investigation of infertility, particularly in situations where low estradiol levels can be expected. The analytic range of the assay is appropriate for the assessment of the low levels of estradiol typically observed in men...

Includes: E2 ; Estradiol-17 Beta.

Thread Information