Bob OD is offline New Member

Unhappy Not happy, not training.

I am 59 and looking for some helpful suggestions. I had a right total hip replacement 2 summers ago and have been able to resume training and running with no hip pain. I have had to cartilage repairs to the right knee and 2 ACL repairs to the left. I recently completed the Louisville Ironman triathlon and yesterday the Marine Corp Marathon. My problem is that I have a lot of nagging injuries, sorness that slows the training. I start to make progress then the left knee flares up. I have had Right Achilles tendon itis for much of 2 months now. I would love to train consistently and progressively but the muscles and joints are just not responding as I wish.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    welcome bro..

first thing that comes to mind is STOP FVCKING RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

eliptical high intensity without all that damn pounding bro...dont compete if its gonna kill your body?

frawnz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Seriously. It sounds like you have accomplished a lot. How about rewarding your body by not punishing it any more? =)

Punishing for some but just pushing it for me. Thanks though, just wondering if this stuff might restore some elasticity, muscle repair, etc.

frawnz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Half your original post was words that describe various injuries. I'd say that's beyond pushing it and well into punishing, regardless of who you are. Listen to your body.

crg
    crg is offline Junior Member
    While I totally belive in being hard and used to tell my troops 'there's a fine line between being hard and being stupid" .. unfort I have/still cross that line all the GD time..I'm not saying youre stupid but your body is telling you things, listen up or you may not even be walking when your 70..your mind may still be 30 but your body is pushing 60, go easy on it it's the only one you got

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Thought about HGH? Sounds like you would really benefit from it! IT sure helps with some aches and pains...but needs to be taken longterm...as in at least 6 months..

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Thought about HGH? Sounds like you would really benefit from it! IT sure helps with some aches and pains...but needs to be taken longterm...as in at least 6 months..
    think he finally heard what he wanted slim

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    think he finally heard what he wanted slim
    Could be! We will wait and see what OP says....

You are probably more correct than not. Still like to push the limits though.
    The original post was about the joint problems over the past couple years because that is what brought me to this website. I have an orthopedic appointment tomorrow to ask his input. Most of the time I have trained without pain and would like to get back to it if that is possible, no wish to hurt but not ready to roll over either.

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob OD View Post
    You are probably more correct than not. Still like to push the limits though.
    The original post was about the joint problems over the past couple years because that is what brought me to this website. I have an orthopedic appointment tomorrow to ask his input. Most of the time I have trained without pain and would like to get back to it if that is possible, no wish to hurt but not ready to roll over either.
    While younger, I am in the same boat as you due to major surgical re-constructions involving the lower extremities. I am limited on the cardio/running that I can do for the time being. If you begin TRT, you can always focus efforts to weight training & less on the cardio aspect until you re-hab. You can do this regardless of TRT. There is something to be said for putting on muscle, being physically strong & looking it! Does wonders for the head...

Good point, thank you

i should have added that i am a proponent for hrt...i just hated to hear you suffering...i would do hrt and do eliptical training unless u need to compete/run for inspiration/enjoyment

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Ex competitive runner here... not the short pvssy stuff, a short run for me back in the day was a 10k. Anyways, I have to agree with the others here, mate. Running is punishing your body. If you must run, do it on the grass. Or just skip it altogether... there are other ways to do cardio, although, I really have to admit, I still like to run.

Some thoughts you may wish to consider-
    MSM - 5 grams a day (get the powder)
    Knee injections - I've been getting the hyuarlonic acid injections in both knees
    knee braces - doesn't cure pain, it helps prevent pain
    oral HA - hyuarlonic acid - again, get the powder.

If you want, you can PM me your email address and I can send you some links to websites where I get my stuff. No sense in paying more than you have to.

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    Running is terrible for you, try the stairmaster or something.

deca (nandralone) made my rotator cuff feel better and i've heard many similar stories of similar

Good ideas that I will discuss with doc tommorrow. I have considered the hyuarlonic acid inj to the knees at his last consult. I was a high school and college all american swimmer that went to rugby latter and tore the ACL the first time after 4 yrs of that, gave up contact sports to play tennis and did the ACL again, then to distance running, 20 + marathons and a couple ultras then to adventure racing finishing an Eco Challenge in Borneo and then back into Triathlons and finished World Champs Ironman Hawaii 4 times, all with no real jt pain. Keeping most of the jt pain under controll now but not responding very well post muscle and tendon strains. Not relating this for the ego but to indicate that training and competing is a big part of me. Not racing to win or anything but a lot of fun to do it with my kids still and the finish feels so good.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I hope you are like 5'10" and 130 lbs??

my other problem is that I'm about 70 lbs heavier than when I ran as a kid.

5'11" and 175-180.

Went to the orthopedist to get his views on HGH. Not surprised that he did not endorse that approach. Anti inflamotory for the Achilles tendon strain. X Rays showed the Total hip ingrowth is great and labs were neg for metal ion sluffing off. Total hip replacement looked good, not any problem there, changing to a shorted flatter running stride seems to have helped too. The left knee pain was a guad spur at the patella, hence the pain there and Mobic should be helpfull. Still considering the HGH for overall boost and well being though.

pittbulldad is offline Associate Member
    ice those joints!!!

Yep, do that regularly, helps too.

Being new to the site I am sure this has been discussed previously but I know very little and the internet has given me some articles but I am not sure what to believe. Is HgH okay to use to help alieviate the post workout muscle soreness associated with bikeing, running, swimming and weight training?

HGH....New lease on life with new and improved muscle cells and bone density...all of which helps alleviate aches and pains....plus SUPER SLEEP!!!

Sounds what I am looking for. Does HGH have to be prescribed?
    Last edited by Bob OD; 11-05-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Better wording.

Read the educational post by RedBaron, very good. It sounds like HG has to be injected. Pills not effective, certainly would be simplier.

Injections only...and an Anti-aging clinic can prescribe it otherwise you will need to search for it....Please read a lot more on this...RedBaron's thread is great...plus hang around the HGH forum to learn before starting. Meantime if you are interested , then I suggest to get an appointment with a doc and go from there. Make sure to get a baseline IGF-1 blood test so you can compare your results.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The only thing I would be concerned about is that if you get an HGH script and can affford it LOL, you might, as it relieves your pain and adds stamina just extend your running schedule? It seems that you could very easily do more damage ( ion sluffing or just general wear and tear on other body parts) if you get on the HGH try to keep an eye on your times, distances, and frequency of training to make sure you do not fall prey to this.
    Last edited by Far from massive; 11-05-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    The only thing I would be concerned about is that if you get an HGH script and can affford it LOL, you might, as it relieves your pain and adds stamina just extend your running schedule? It seems that you could very easily do more damage ( ion sluffing or just general wear and tear on other body parts) if you get on the HGH try to keep an eye on your times, distances, and frequency of training to make sure you do not fall prey to this.
    very good point

as some do when we get stronger on test

Epic Ed is offline Associate Member
    Have you had any blood work done recently to check various hormone levels that tend to drop for a guy your age? I'd get a full panel done and then go from there based on your results. I'm one of those guys who's perpetually seeking out relief for my joint pain, too, and I really haven't found a good solution. Deca works reasonably well (better than any anti inflammatories I've tried) but it comes with side effects that aren't desirable long term, so cycling on/off for 12 weeks at a time it is the only option. There are several HRT/anti-aging clinics that will write you a script for deca if you meet the criteria (which it sounds like you most definitely would). I have a buddy who is trying direct hGH injection at the site (interarticular) and has had some good success doing so. He is also doing prolotherapy. Google that word and do some research.

If I were you I'd stop running for a while and see what kind of healing you can do with the various options you'll discover. Give whatever therapies you select time to work and see if you can maximize the benefit. Find another hobby in the meantime and then return to running once you've reached a point where you think you've healed as much as possible.

Thread Information