Alloy is offline Junior Member

DHEA and Pregnenolone

Got some blood tests back and found out my DHEA was very, very low. For the ppl here on HRT, what are you taking for DHEA and Pregnenolone? Some people recommend 50mg and some recommend 25mg. I need to get back to basics and replenish my master hormones.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    How low? can you post your BW please? and have you had your adrenals tested too?

My PCP is an a-hole and wouldn't give me a full CBC and Metabolic. The DHEA he did test came up as such, (Labcorp Range 47-701, mines was 103). I've read on many sites that the optimal range for a male is around 300-400. I'm going for a retest since my PCP looks down on HRT and will not order blood work for me. Going for a full retest next week along with donating a pint of blood this weekend. I have to start over my HRT because the two main hormones were never tested and thus could've have kept my levels within range.

Vettester is offline Banned
    I would start out with 25mg and see how you react. Are you using the topical creams? I had kind of a bizarre experience with the DHEA ... Just weird stuff with my mental processing, and the lucid dreams were just wild. Anyways, backed it off and went just with Pregnenolone, believe 50mg/day, which also converts downstream to DHEA. My DHEA wasn't nearly as low as yours, so it should be a good addition, but keep an eye on it. BTW, it's good to cycle these hormones for 6 to 8 weeks, then break for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08 View Post
    I would start out with 25mg and see how you react. Are you using the topical creams? I had kind of a bizarre experience with the DHEA ... Just weird stuff with my mental processing, and the lucid dreams were just wild. Anyways, backed it off and went just with Pregnenolone, believe 50mg/day, which also converts downstream to DHEA. My DHEA wasn't nearly as low as yours, so it should be a good addition, but keep an eye on it. BTW, it's good to cycle these hormones for 6 to 8 weeks, then break for a few months.
    I was only on Preg for 30 days @ 50mg and then stopped it. I'm sorry I did, it really brought everything together into a nice synergy. I read some information by Dr. Crisler that 50mg Preg per day and DHEA 25mg split between am/pm works wonders. I'm going to give it a try and redo my all of my blood work in 8 weeks from the point I start my lower TRT protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alloy View Post
    I was only on Preg for 30 days @ 50mg and then stopped it. I'm sorry I did, it really brought everything together into a nice synergy. I read some information by Dr. Crisler that 50mg Preg per day and DHEA 25mg split between am/pm works wonders. I'm going to give it a try and redo my all of my blood work in 8 weeks from the point I start my lower TRT protocol.
    Yea, Dr. Crisler has some "right on" stuff regarding these 2 hormones. Good advise!!!

PPC
    PPC is offline Super Knowledgeable ~ Female Member
    Some guys do not do well on oral dhea or pregnenolone. DHEA in oral form can raise estradiol and estrone levels in some. Oral pregnenolone can have an anti anxiety effect so much so that is becomes a Klonopin type med in the body for some people. Seems transdermal forms do not pose these problems.

High enough doses of pregnenolone may backfill dhea that is too low and that maybe a two for one. 'May' is the operative word here, trial and testing will show what your body does with these hormones.

There are OTC pregnenolone and dhea creams available but usually at low doses. Compounding pharmacies can put together higher strength creams which may be more desirable so one is not having to slap on handfuls of cream.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I take no more than 50mg / day for both.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by PPC View Post
    Some guys do not do well on oral dhea or pregnenolone. DHEA in oral form can raise estradiol and estrone levels in some. Oral pregnenolone can have an anti anxiety effect so much so that is becomes a Klonopin type med in the body for some people. Seems transdermal forms do not pose these problems.

High enough doses of pregnenolone may backfill dhea that is too low and that maybe a two for one. 'May' is the operative word here, trial and testing will show what your body does with these hormones.

There are OTC pregnenolone and dhea creams available but usually at low doses. Compounding pharmacies can put together higher strength creams which may be more desirable so one is not having to slap on handfuls of cream.
    where? and what kind of doses?

PPC
    PPC is offline Super Knowledgeable ~ Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    where? and what kind of doses?
    Check out Life Flo products. They have preg cream - 15mg per pump and dhea creams - affordable. I buy my Life Flo from iherb.

Quote Originally Posted by PPC View Post
    Check out Life Flo products. They have preg cream - 15mg per pump and dhea creams - affordable. I buy my Life Flo from iherb.
    thanks

Exevious is offline Associate Member
    Im a little confused on this topic....

If pregnenolone first converts to Dhea... then why sup both of them??
    If your taking Dhea, where is the benefit of taking the preg that does the same conversion??

I am interested in learning more about this!

Also is preg available OTC like Dhea?? I do not believe I have seen it. But would like to give it a go once these questions are answered.

Here's why oral supplementation at 50 mg of both daily will do little to increase serum levels; this is also true for many other, if not all, supplements:

•The Preg/DHEA supplement is swallowed and makes its way to the stomach.
    •In the stomach the capsule, or tablet, disintegrates
    •The Preg/DHEA supplement’s formula components are bathed in extremely powerful digestive acids, where a good portion of the formula components are destroyed
    •What is left of both formulas travels to the small intestine, where absorption into the bloodstream slowly takes place
    •First stop...the liver
    •The vast majority (probably 95%) of the remaining formula will be metabolized into “inactive” substances that will then be excreted when you pee
    •A small amount of about 5% maybe even less will retain organic values in your blood stream

To sum it up: Up to 95% of the formulas ingredients in any oral supplement is being wasted, and in the (Digestive) process putting a hefty burden on your liver. So, oral supplementation, while getting a small amount into serum, will have little down stream impact.

Back filling pathways for Preg/DHEA are best done via gels/creams or in some cases injections.

Quote Originally Posted by gdevine View Post
    Here's why oral supplementation at 50 mg of both daily will do little to increase serum levels; this is also true for many other, if not all, supplements:

•The Preg/DHEA supplement is swallowed and makes its way to the stomach.
    •In the stomach the capsule, or tablet, disintegrates
    •The Preg/DHEA supplement’s formula components are bathed in extremely powerful digestive acids, where a good portion of the formula components are destroyed
    •What is left of both formulas travels to the small intestine, where absorption into the bloodstream slowly takes place
    •First stop...the liver
    •The vast majority (probably 95%) of the remaining formula will be metabolized into “inactive” substances that will then be excreted when you pee
    •A small amount of about 5% maybe even less will retain organic values in your blood stream

To sum it up: Up to 95% of the formulas ingredients in any oral supplement is being wasted, and in the (Digestive) process putting a hefty burden on your liver. So, oral supplementation, while getting a small amount into serum, will have little down stream impact.

Back filling pathways for Preg/DHEA are best done via gels/creams or in some cases injections.
    please pm me

I understand about the oral modes of delivery.

Is that the reason for stacking? both dhea and preg? to get more?

Or is there something the preg offers before its conversion to dhea?

I am curious if both are needed... or can you just jump the conversion by one factor and take the dhea only....

As PPC indicated, one could take enough pregnenolone to back fill their DHEA, but in most cases I wouldn't suggest it. Pregnenolone offers a variety of benefits, and it also converts downstream to progesterone and cortisol. So, over doing it with the pregnenolone to satisfy a DHEA deficiency could quite possibly cause an imbalance in the other departments. A little of each compound goes along way. Balance is the key!

Like normal, gdevine is spot-on with his advise. I think the only oral I take with any of this stuff is my AI and a multi-vitamin. The rest of it is either injected, or in the case of pregnenolone or DHEA, I have found my clinic's compounded cream is the best for me.

Also, my wife has these creams included in her BHRT regiment ... Simply amazing and should be looked at by any female who is starting to experience pre-menopausal symptoms.

Duplicate post
    Last edited by Vettester; 09-08-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Duplicated Post

Nice avatar!!!

So with that being said is preg available OTC??

I know it is sold online, but I couldn't vouch for the effectiveness of it with anyone, as it's always been readily available through my clinic. Hopefully some other members might be using something OTC.

DHEA and Preg do not require a prescription so one could call local compounding pharmacies to see if they can get it locally. And as vetteman states, both can be bought online (Google: Life-Flo) in a cream as well.
    Last edited by steroid.com 1; 09-09-2011 at 11:25 AM.

bestthief is offline New Member
    Oral DHEA will not work, too much of the drug is lost. The best way, I am told, is to apply the DHEA as a cream to the skin.

Thread Information