OldSquatter is offline New Member

fundemental questions

Does the likelyhood of getting a prescription for low-t increase or decrease as the age of the patient looking for such a thing is higher? In other words, is a 50+ year old more likely to get the nod from a doc then a 40+ year old? Or does it all depend on the blood test results?

If the later I'd assume it is sliding scale. What is considered low for a 50 year old is probably lower then what is considered low for a 40 year old where testosterone normally decreases with age. Possibly making it more difficult to get an accomodating doctor as one ages.

Any experience with this?

BTW I am 54

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    this is the case where the higher the age number, the more likely the script....IMO

have you done blood work and if so, do you want to post them up to share and get some input?

emmett is offline New Member
    I agree with SlimmerMe. The older you are the more likely to have lower T. However it seems that in the mid 30s is about when levels for most men qualify them for treatment. Your blood test will truly determine what your doctor will prescribe you. Good luck.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    My doc said it is completely dependent on the blood work.

flatscat is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Depends on the Doc, for a diagnosis they use the same 200something to 800something total t results to determine if you are clinically below normal or not. There are graphs by age out there that break it down though for you to compare your levels by age. That's one of the huge problems in the diagnosis - the "normal ranges" are from all results from the blood work for the particular lab company from all ages - so there are 15 yr olds and 90 yr olds thrown in there. Sucks. Good luck, if at first you don't succeed...Flats

VegasRenegade is offline Finishing Member ~ Transformation Contest!
    Blog Entries
    The problem with the sliding scale is that is give you want an average 50 year old T is not what is optimal. It should all be one scale. You want to be on the upper third of the 18 to 25 age group not the middle of the 50-60

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    when's your appointment?

OldSquatter is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    when's your appointment?
    Presently I do n ot have one. Although I am due for a physical at which time I was going to approach it.

Recently, I changed primary care docs from a male doc in his 50s to a female doc in her 30s. Probably early 30s. This was do to logistics, the male doc, which I had for many years no longer visits the medical center that is closer to my home. Being reasonably healthy and never really having had to go to the docs I really didn't care who the doc happened to be.

I am reluctant to make an appoinitment with the female doc for all the other uncomfortable reasons associated with the physical. i.e. the cough and the jouney up the dark place.

How does one approach the subject? I assume, fundementally telling the truth; but with perhaps a bit of false ignorance? "Doc I am lacking energy, reduced libido, aches and pains", (all comparatively speaking of course). Or, is it a more direct approach; asserting yourself as knowledgable (which I am not but I am a quick learner) and discussing numbers (bloodwork) and being more assertive about treatment options.

Inherently I am not the assertive type. I am more the respectful (possibly overly so) type that swings whichever way the "expert" wants to swing.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    here is a suggestion: start out with this. Say something like "hey you know all those adds on tv talking about Low T? well I looked into it and think I fit the bill. I have lost my zest for life.....etc.....and this will open up the dialogue. Tell her you want to be tested with an entire male hormone panel including any other BW the guys here might suggest.

Actually by the fact that she is in her 30's is a good thing. She is more aware and up on things more than likely. An example: I went to an older doc not too long ago and you know how they ask if you are on anything new since the last visit....and I said I am on "bio-identical hormones." The doc who is in his 60's turned to me, and I kid you not, and asked
    "Bio-Degradable what?".........

agree with slimmer...

and just to color things up...i prefer the 30 something female for the dark place journey

LOT BETTER THAN A BIG OLE GORILLA DIGIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FVCKER!!!!!!!! (MY URO)

k...end rant...

slimmer gave u perfect advice...u cannot be submissive with these doctors they are a business and will rape your a$$

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    i prefer the 30 something female for the dark place journey

LOT BETTER THAN A BIG OLE GORILLA DIGIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yup, my search for a 4' tall, skinny female doctor continues.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    Yup, my search for a 4' tall, skinny female doctor continues.
    well worth the wait my friend

ecsaaron is offline Associate Member
    Is she suppose to rotate her finger?mine does!!

Quote Originally Posted by ecsaaron View Post
    Is she suppose to rotate her finger?mine does!!
    did u book a follow up

Thread Information