bbrock is offline Junior Member

igf-1 test results

I have posted this in the hgh forum also. It seems to cross both subejects but im not sure were i will get the best answers. I have a question about my igf-1 test results. I am 38 and diabetic I am currently on HRT of 200mg's of cypianate a week. I have been on this regimen for about 2 years. My Total testosterone levels are around 700 now. I have had problems dropping body fat. In fact I have gotten to the point were I don't worry about dieting so much as just controling my bood sugar. I switched Doctors and he wanted me to test my igf-1 and said that it could be a factor to my diabetes at an early age. My test came back at 144 ng/ml with a reference range of 114-492. If this is anything like Total testosterone being at this low normal range it sucks. Is thiis something that would hender me from dropping weight. Do you think HGH would drastically improve my situation. I know that it isn't an exact science but does anyone no approximately how much it might take to to get to the upper third of the range. Does HRT improve IGF-1.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Hi! This question would best be served in the IGF-1 HGH Insulin forum .....might want to start one there...thanks

if , that is, your main concern is your IGF-1 and HGH.....

plus you might want to research a lot re: hgh and diabetes....GH causes insulin release to be suppressed which is why overtime people can actually develop Diabetes 2 if they eat carbs too closely to injection time
    Last edited by SlimmerMe; 02-15-2011 at 06:09 PM.

flatscat is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Welcome over here. Funny I just posted in the hgh forum last week because my igf1 more than doubled in the last six months. Can really only attribute it to the testosterone (which is supposed to raise igf1). It would stand to reason that the higher your igf1 is the higher your gh level is so it may be a factor in your fat loss problem but really hard to tell. Can you tell us about your self, stats and latest b/w results?

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Hi! This question would best be served in the IGF-1 HGH Insulin forum .....might want to start one there...thanks

if , that is, your main concern is your IGF-1 and HGH.....
    Slimmer, he is on hrt, so maybe he is in the right place to troubleshoot as well as the other forum. And he said he posted it in that forum already (with no responses I am guessing??)

^^^ I corrected and noted "if that is, why he is here".....it is okay.....he wants to know both

Glad you approve.

^^ ha ha!

flatts i actually read that post and it got me thinking if my igf-1 is 144 ref 114-492 what would it have been without the HRT.
    Stats
    6'4
    350lb When i started HRT i dropped about 50lbs. in about three months.
    HRT 200 mg cypianate a week (just started pinning once a week so these stats are from taking 400mg every two weeks
    last total test was 758 was aproximately 4 days after a 400mg injection.
    3.05 FREE TEST
    TSH is 1.17
    230 estrogen this was taken last june. I thought the endo was going to test my estrogen but he didn't order the test.
    9.2 cortisol ref 6-28
    8.8 prolactin ref 2.1-17.7
    94 LDL
    18 HDL This has always been low even as a teenager in great condition

I just started injecting once a week, my previous doctor was making me come into his office to get the injection. This new endo is letting me inject myself so i am splitting the dose and inecting once a week. He was also concerned with why I had low-T to begin with. He had a suspision that my igf-1 would come in low saying that this might be why i became diabetic at such an early age. I take 1000 mg metformin in the morning and 1000 mg in the evening. My A1C is a 5.7 with meds.
    I know my estrogen is high and i suspect it is about 200. I thought my endo. was going to test my estrogen but he tested all kinds of other hormones instead. I am curious as to what the difference would be if my igf-1 were improved from 144 to around 400. I have most of the symptoms of low igf-1 or growth hormone . i have also read that Hgh causes diabetes in higher doses but i am not wanting to take large dose. I am wanting to take enough to get my levels to 400. I was not able to find much info on people that were taking HGH as a therapy in the HGH forum. I could only find info on people cycling. Between that and my high estrogen levels i think it might be why it is almost impossible to lose weight..

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    yep seems like you are heading in the correct direction asking those questions...

diet is also a big deal here - your diet has to be in line with your goals, loosing weight i am getting from your posts.

just mentioning this not coming after you in any way - my mom, dad, and brother are all diabetics - i am not and have never had any issues, the big reason is i work out and eat correctly.

my fam eats fast food, proccessed foods, and i think it would kill them to actually prepare a "real" "healthy" meal... so i dont know your diet but you are taking lots of meds for the diabiteis.

i would as im sure you have contact a diettition and get some recommendations.

let us know i am really interested in what comes of all this

Ok here it goes.

I don't know enough about diabetes to give you any specific advise on that condition. I can tell you that you have done a great job dropping 50 pounds in three months. And that it is so much easier to control if your weight is in check (but you know this already). Do you know your bf% now? I am guessing you need to continue to drop the fat. Are you doing any cardio? Strength training? Are you on a strict diet? Give us the range for free t.

Your E2 appears to be way too high, you need to get it checked asap and have the endo address it immediately. Your total t of 758 4 days after injecting 400mg of t is crazy low, you are converting the t at a very rapid pace. Most guys would prolly come in over 1800 with that dose. I might also be concerned about gyno (good thing to mention to endo maybe). I heard it is tricky to dose gh correctly with diabetes.

Lose more body fat.
    Address E2 immediately.
    Go over to the diet section and ask around for a good diet for a diabetic diet.

I don't think your lower igf1 or gh that is causing you to not to lose weight (hell you just lost 50lbs in three months). And I believe that after you get all this straightened out you will see your numbers rise. If not, then you can look into GH if you still want to.

Hang in there bud, I am sure we will have more ideas and suggestions as the day goes on and after you answer these ?'s.

Oh and I am really glad you posted a thread in this forum. You got a lot to get straightened out.

Flats

BeastintheSheets is offline New Member
    Your SHBG is probably too high.

frawnz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    My endo told me that testosterone and IGF-1 levels are often opposite each other, ie.. if your T levels are high, it is pretty normal for your IGF-1 levels to be on the lower end of the spectrum and vice versa

OK my free tes is high total is normal so that may make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastintheSheets View Post
    Your SHBG is probably too high.
    What causes your shbg to be high. Do you know how to lower it.

Quote Originally Posted by frawnz View Post
    My endo told me that testosterone and IGF-1 levels are often opposite each other, ie.. if your T levels are high, it is pretty normal for your IGF-1 levels to be on the lower end of the spectrum and vice versa
    Hey Frawnz, It is my understanding that your igf-1 levels should go up with higher t levels. That has been my experience recently.

frawnz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flatscat View Post
    Hey Frawnz, It is my understanding that your igf-1 levels should go up with higher t levels. That has been my experience recently.
    Not sure. When I first went in to get my initial bloodwork done, my IGF-1 levels were on the high end while my T levels were below normal. When I mentioned it to the endo, he said it's pretty normal to see an inverse relation between IGF-1 and T.

Thread Information