redcell712 is offline New Member

Need help to understand my results

I am 44 years old. I have all the symptoms. Low libido, 50 pound weight gain in the last 16 months, popping caffeine pills to stay functional, mood swings. Can't sleep through the night and need a nap most days.
    I have been checked for apnea and that is negative.

My Doctor says that nothing is wrong, but I know that there is. I cannot go on swallowing pills, banging starbucks and missing most of my life because of naps. I used to go to the gym 3-4 days a week for an hour or so. Then I started dogging it in the gym now I don't have any energy or desire to go. I hurt for days after any kind of workout. This isn't right, but I don't understand.

Thoughts?

results are as follows:

Testosterone , serum - 391 Range 249-836 ng/dL
    Free Testosterone (direct) - 8.1 Range 6.8-21.5 pg/m
    SHBG - 42.7 Range 14.5-48.4 nmol/L
    LH - 8.0 Range 1.7-8.6 ng/dL
    FSH - 14.7 Range 1.5-12.4 mIU/mL
    Prolactin - 10.5 Range 4.0-15.2 ng/mL
    TSH - 3.550 Range 0.450-4.500 uIU/mL
    T4, Free (direct) - 1.24 Range 0.82-1.77 ng/dL

UPDATED
    Last edited by redcell712; 04-05-2011 at 06:06 AM. Reason: requested by member for ranges of results

Quote Originally Posted by redcell712 View Post
    I am 44 years old. I have all the symptoms. Low libido, 50 pound weight gain in the last 16 months, popping caffeine pills to stay functional, mood swings. Can't sleep through the night and need a nap most days.
    I have been checked for apnea and that is negative.

My Doctor says that nothing is wrong, but I know that there is. I cannot go on swallowing pills, banging starbucks and missing most of my life because of naps. I used to go to the gym 3-4 days a week for an hour or so. Then I started dogging it in the gym now I don't have any energy or desire to go. I hurt for days after any kind of workout. This isn't right, but I don't understand.

Thoughts?

results are as follows:

Testosterone , serum - 391
    Free Testosterone (direct) - 8.1
    SHBG - 42.7
    LH - 8.0
    FSH - 14.7
    Prolactin - 10.5
    TSH - 3.550
    T4, Free (direct) - 1.24
    Please edit your original post and include ranges.

My wild-ass-guess is the you have something going on with your Thyroid. Depending upon your range anything over 2.5 suggests further medical investigation.

Hypothyroidism has many of the same sides as low T.

Ranges will help us help you.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    agree that tsh number you want lower and your test level could be higher...

for one you need a new doctor since you told the punk how you are feeling and he said nothing is wrong

done...pls advise

He did refer me to an endocrinologist...no word yet when that appt is.

GotNoBlueMilk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    High-end LH and FSH. Your pituitary is telling your boys to pump out more testosterone . The boys aren't doing it (low T and free T). To make matters worse you have high SHBG. This is binding with your testosterone and keeping it lower.

So the real question is why aren't the boys pumping out T when they are being told to? This is what you ultimately want solved. The other option is you don't get that solved and start taking T to bring those levels up.

flatscat is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoBlueMilk View Post
    High-end LH and FSH. Your pituitary is telling your boys to pump out more testosterone . The boys aren't doing it (low T and free T). To make matters worse you have high SHBG. This is binding with your freetestosterone and keeping it lower.

So the real question is why aren't the boys pumping out T when they are being told to? This is what you ultimately want solved. The other option is you don't get that solved and start taking T to bring those levels up.
    ^^^yep, plus I bet your E2 is elevated. I am thinkin you ought to get the thyroid thing fixed first, which may help you drop the excess fat you gained along with a clean diet, cardio and strength training. You should start to feel much better along the way and may see your t numbers go up as your bf% goes down. Get your E2 level checked.

what are E2 levels?

what are E2 levels?

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by redcell712 View Post
    He did refer me to an endocrinologist...no word yet when that appt is.
    maybe you were supposed to make the appointment? just sayin?

proactive

Thread Information