sirupate is offline Member

Double Red Cell Donation

For those of you donating to the Red Cross as a strategy to keep hemoglobin levels in check from TRT, have you heard about double red cell donations...or done one? I watched someone donating double red cells last Saturday. They use a machine to separate the red cells out of your blood taking twice the usual amount as a whole blood donation, then put back most of the associated plasma and add a bit of saline solution. The process take a bit longer than whole blood donation, but maybe on 10-15 minutes longer.

This should knock down hemoglobin levels pretty good...but the catch is, you can only donate this way once every 4 months. But, that could be a time saver if it works.

Not every bloodmobile donation site has this available in my area, but some do.

I may try it in 8 weeks if it is available.

MJRuff01 is offline Junior Member
    I have done it before years ago. We had a blood drive at work, and I was just expecting to donate a pint of whole blood, next thing I know, I am getting hooked up to some machine. I just gave a pint of whole blood less than a week ago. Very good to do whether on TRT or not.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by sirupate View Post
    For those of you donating to the Red Cross as a strategy to keep hemoglobin levels in check from TRT, have you heard about double red cell donations...or done one? I watched someone donating double red cells last Saturday. They use a machine to separate the red cells out of your blood taking twice the usual amount as a whole blood donation, then put back most of the associated plasma and add a bit of saline solution. The process take a bit longer than whole blood donation, but maybe on 10-15 minutes longer.

This should knock down hemoglobin levels pretty good...but the catch is, you can only donate this way once every 4 months. But, that could be a time saver if it works.

Not every bloodmobile donation site has this available in my area, but some do.

I may try it in 8 weeks if it is available.
    i did the rbc and platelets and was given back saline for the first time a month ago...they mentioned the double rbc as a possibility in the future but said see how i feel after this rbc/platelet....

....i thought i felt better after the regular whole blood donation that i did the time before and the rbc/platelet thing like you said also took twice as long

Thread Information