NOSUPERMODEL is offline Member

Headed to the doctor tomorrow

Going back to get some blood work done. The last time I went(6 weeks after starting) my estrogen was high, so I had him put me on Anastazole at .25 mg EOD. I also had my test raised to 1.25cc every week. So I am going back this time to see if the AI had helped with my estrogen. But this time I was wanting him to do a full blood panel on me. I want to get everything checked. So what kind of blood work do I tell him I want done? I even want to have my thyroid checked also. I have not lost any weight or really had any body changes since being on TRT and my diet is good. So I am just wondering if something else is out of whack with my body. So can somebody tell me what kind of blood panel to ask for so that I get results for everything.

PLEASE make sure to get a E2 Sensitivity assay. The standard ones used by most labs are ideal for pregnant women and not men. You can get a false reading and end up on an AI and not need it at all...making things worse.

Popular Hormone Panel:
    1) serum total T + SHBG --or-- Biovailable T (Bio T)
    but not free T, which is nowhere near as useful as Bio T.
    2) serum total E2 (sensitive)
    3) 4-times-per-day salivary cortisol
    4) serum total progesterone and DHEAS <--- intermediate hormones, to identify blocked or starved pathways
    5) serum free T4, free T3, reverse T3 and TSH
    6) 24hr urinary GH and serum IGF-1
    7) Glucose tolerance test to monitor insulin sensitivity

38jumper38 is offline Senior Member
    I believe you need what they call 14 panel test. they will check everything, thyroid, cholesterol, Free test, Test, Estrogen, Estradiol, Hemoglobin, and ........

Thanks guys. Gdevine I do not know what most of that is. Will even the doctor know? LOL.

Is there anything else you guys would ask about that you found out after being on TRT for 10 weeks?

38jumper38 is offline Senior Member
    My doc told we need to keep an eye is the hemoglobin. make me to donate blood very often.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by NOSUPERMODEL View Post
    Going back to get some blood work done. The last time I went(6 weeks after starting) my estrogen was high, so I had him put me on Anastazole at .25 mg EOD. I also had my test raised to 1.25cc every week. So I am going back this time to see if the AI had helped with my estrogen. But this time I was wanting him to do a full blood panel on me. I want to get everything checked. So what kind of blood work do I tell him I want done? I even want to have my thyroid checked also. I have not lost any weight or really had any body changes since being on TRT and my diet is good. So I am just wondering if something else is out of whack with my body. So can somebody tell me what kind of blood panel to ask for so that I get results for everything.
    i hope its just that easy for you bro

namvet is offline Junior Member
    38 jumper 38, need to know....explain why you would have to give blood often ..... thanks

sirupate is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    38 jumper 38, need to know....explain why you would have to give blood often ..... thanks
    Men on TRT typically develop high hemoglobin/RBC counts. Donating blood periodically knocks those levels down into the normal range. Above normal range isn't healthy, and some here have been refused to donate when they were in the above normal range. I am just trying to donate whenever it is convenient as long as the Red Cross minimum donation intervals have been adhered to. Good thing to do too. Red Cross loves me...universal donor.

Well I went in today. I told the doc that I wanted to get a full blood panel...CHECK EVERYTHING I told him. He said okay. We started talking and he asked how I was, and I told him well I don't feel as well as when I first started, and asked him if things tend to level out after a while. Then I asked him about my libido and performance. Which I haven't lost my libido, its just not where it was. When I first started I would get some and want it immediately again, and plus I was lasting longer than before TRT. Now its kind of like I get some and then I am good for the rest of the day. Plus I went back to lasting the same amount of time. Then we got onto the whole Tamoxifen subject and he basically told me he is now recommending guys not to use it and switched everybody to Arimidex . (Which you guys said Tamoxifen was no good for estrogen) So I agreed with him. Then I told him I had been taking .25mg of Arimidex EOD(when he suggested I take 1 mg twice a week) But this time he asked me to take 1mg Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I said why don't we wait until we get these results back and see where my estrogen is at, because that is why I came in. Becuase my estrogen was too high after the first six weeks(NO ARIMIDEX). So he agreed. I also had to reming him that he had put me on 1.25cc the last time. He actually asked me if I wanted to go up!!! Of course I wanted to, but I said no, I will just stick with what I am at now. Now depending on my results I might change my mind. So as of right now, until the results come back in, I am going to be doing 1.25cc EW and .25mgs Arimidex EOD. Once I get the results I will post them and maybe somebody can shed some light on my results. I might even incorporate the HCG if the results are not where I want them to be. I also asked him about weight loss (which I have not loss any or seen any body changes) and he said that I should have lost some weight by now or at least seen some body changes. So I guess all in all I will just have to wait and see what the test show. By the way, today was my 12th shot I have had. Can anybody enlighten me on what they experienced 3 months into their TRT program. Maybe what I am feeling is what I am supposed to be feeling.

Well I went in today. I told the doc that I wanted to get a full blood panel...CHECK EVERYTHING I told him. He said okay. We started talking and he asked how I was, and I told him well I don't feel as well as when I first started, and asked him if things tend to level out after a while. Then I asked him about my libido and performance. Which I haven't lost my libido, its just not where it was. When I first started I would get some and want it immediately again, and plus I was lasting longer than before TRT. Now its kind of like I get some and then I am good for the rest of the day. Plus I went back to lasting the same amount of time. Then we got onto the whole Tamoxifen subject and he basically told me he is now recommending guys not to use it and switched everybody to Arimidex. (Which you guys said Tamoxifen was no good for estrogen) So I agreed with him. Then I told him I had been taking .25mg of Arimidex EOD(when he suggested I take 1 mg twice a week) But this time he asked me to take 1mg Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I said why don't we wait until we get these results back and see where my estrogen is at, because that is why I came in. Becuase my estrogen was too high after the first six weeks(NO ARIMIDEX). So he agreed. I also had to reming him that he had put me on 1.25cc the last time. He actually asked me if I wanted to go up!!! Of course I wanted to, but I said no, I will just stick with what I am at now. Now depending on my results I might change my mind. So as of right now, until the results come back in, I am going to be doing 1.25cc EW and .25mgs Arimidex EOD. Once I get the results I will post them and maybe somebody can shed some light on my results. I might even incorporate the HCG if the results are not where I want them to be. I also asked him about weight loss (which I have not loss any or seen any body changes) and he said that I should have lost some weight by now or at least seen some body changes. So I guess all in all I will just have to wait and see what the test show. By the way, today was my 12th shot I have had. Can anybody enlighten me on what they experienced 3 months into their TRT program. Maybe what I am feeling is what I am supposed to be feeling.
    congrats on having the doctor listen and work with you..

i know you mentioned having a desk job...but other than that pretty active? what is your workout /exercise routine like? u say the diet is good i'm gonna take your word for that because i saw good results in short time without an all impressive diet albeit calorie restricted to a degree...

maybe your thyroid panels will shed some light into your lack of say metabolism???

do u have a script for the blood work or does he draw blood and run/send out for the tests? i'd like to see what he checked off

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Like JPK asked, what is your workout schedule like? Dont worry too much about the weight loss, because everyone is different and change takes time. I lost little to no weight from TRT, but gained a lot of muscle mass. I recently had to take a month off from the gym due to surgery and lost 15 pounds like it was nothing. Also lost some muscle size as well because I was eating much less during the time off. I'm back 4 weeks now and am already back to 270 again like it was nothing. Everyone can give advice, but you need to find what works best for you to maximize your results.

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    congrats on having the doctor listen and work with you..

i know you mentioned having a desk job...but other than that pretty active? what is your workout /exercise routine like? u say the diet is good i'm gonna take your word for that because i saw good results in short time without an all impressive diet albeit calorie restricted to a degree...

maybe your thyroid panels will shed some light into your lack of say metabolism???

do u have a script for the blood work or does he draw blood and run/send out for the tests? i'd like to see what he checked off
    Other than a desk job yes I am active. I workout about 1 1/2 hours with weights and do 30-45 minutes of cardio 3 times a week. My diet is good except on the weekends I usually have mexican food for dinner Saturday night and then Sunday night we usually go to my parents house and they usually don't cook great. I also have some beers on Saturday and Sunday. Those two days might be killing me.

I do not have a script for the blood work, but I do know they have somebody in the back that draws the blood. I think they work for the lab because thats all they do. So they are not his nurses.

I have a feeling there is something wrong with my thyroid, but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by APIs View Post
    Like JPK asked, what is your workout schedule like? Dont worry too much about the weight loss, because everyone is different and change takes time. I lost little to no weight from TRT, but gained a lot of muscle mass. I recently had to take a month off from the gym due to surgery and lost 15 pounds like it was nothing. Also lost some muscle size as well because I was eating much less during the time off. I'm back 4 weeks now and am already back to 270 again like it was nothing. Everyone can give advice, but you need to find what works best for you to maximize your results.

See post above about my workout schedule and diet. I am at 260lbs right now, but I would like to be around 235-240lbs. That being losing 20-25 pounds of fat. I carry all my weight in my upper body. Legs are solid. Its all in my back, stomach, and love handles, and of course I am not happy with my chest.

Other than a desk job yes I am active. I workout about 1 1/2 hours with weights and do 30-45 minutes of cardio 3 times a week. My diet is good except on the weekends I usually have mexican food for dinner Saturday night and then Sunday night we usually go to my parents house and they usually don't cook great. I also have some beers on Saturday and Sunday. Those two days might be killing me.

I do not have a script for the blood work, but I do know they have somebody in the back that draws the blood. I think they work for the lab because thats all they do. So they are not his nurses.

I have a feeling there is something wrong with my thyroid, but we will see.
    i think you can add one more day in your exercise and cut off a half hour from the weights so 4-5 days but save a half hour on each day and benefit more...your diet sounds like my week...there are some family get togethers that sabotage our goals so we can actually look within that first...i'm not saying diet has to be as strict as a bb'er but if your slack 4 days(no exercise) and have two cheat days....well.....

biggymrat is offline Junior Member
    As far as weight loss goes, when I was serious about losing body fat I found that I had to try a bunch of different diets to see what gave me the best results. Personally, if I eat 6-7 meals a day and try to keep my Carbs at about 40% of my intake, Proteins at 40% and fats at 20% I see 1 to 2 lbs lost each week. I also do my best to drink a gallon of water every day.
    I also tend to gain weight super easy so I only allow myself 1 cheat meal a week. When ever I follow this method of dieting I always see results!

I'm not saying this is the only way to diet, but maybe this will give you some ideas.

i think you can add one more day in your exercise and cut off a half hour from the weights so 4-5 days but save a half hour on each day and benefit more...your diet sounds like my week...there are some family get togethers that sabotage our goals so we can actually look within that first...i'm not saying diet has to be as strict as a bb'er but if your slack 4 days(no exercise) and have two cheat days....well.....
    I do weights 6 days a week. I just only do cardio 3 times a week. Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by biggymrat View Post
    As far as weight loss goes, when I was serious about losing body fat I found that I had to try a bunch of different diets to see what gave me the best results. Personally, if I eat 6-7 meals a day and try to keep my Carbs at about 40% of my intake, Proteins at 40% and fats at 20% I see 1 to 2 lbs lost each week. I also do my best to drink a gallon of water every day.
    I also tend to gain weight super easy so I only allow myself 1 cheat meal a week. When ever I follow this method of dieting I always see results!

I'm not saying this is the only way to diet, but maybe this will give you some ideas.
    see...to me..thats a strict diet and agree that pretty much anyone could easily progress either adding lbm or fatloss or both on that plan

biggymrat is offline Junior Member
    see...to me..thats a strict diet and agree that pretty much anyone could easily progress either adding lbm or fatloss or both on that plan
    Now you know why I asked in a previous thread what would happen if I stopped dieting. I'm way strict.

Now you know why I asked in a previous thread what would happen if I stopped dieting. I'm way strict.
    i too gain weight EASILY....but i've never followed a 40 40 20

I just went and looked at my food logs and my percentages are as follows

Proteins 45-50%
    Carbs 25-20%
    Fats 30-25%

They fall somwhere in those percentages on a daily basis. I eat 5 solid meals a day and then have a pre and post workout shake that consist of whey and oats. So I am really feeding my body 7 times a day. And I even eat like that on the weekends, except Saturday dinner and Sunday dinner.

I drink a minimum of 140oz. a day in water. Then add in the water I put in my shakes and what I drink working out I probably add another 40oz.
    Last edited by NOSUPERMODEL; 06-24-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Thread Information