Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By NACH3
  • 1 Post By Beethoven
  • 1 Post By USMCSS
  • 1 Post By 2Sox

Thread: Doc Took Me Off TRT Unexpectedly. What To Expect?

USMCSS is offline Associate Member

Doc Took Me Off TRT Unexpectedly. What To Expect?

A little background first. I went into my primary care doc at the VA May of last year complaining of the typical low T symptoms such as weight gain, depression, lethargy, and sexual issues. Had my levels checked and it was 280 on a scale of 200-950. A week later she tested it again and it was 387 but still agreed to put me on TRT and that being 100 mg's of Test cyp every week. Over the past year my levels have roller coasted going as high as 952 and as low as 155. No, they never tested E2 or other levels majority of the time because it's the VA and that's all that needs to be said. Recently I complained to the doc that I'm still have some symptoms of low T like zero sex drive so she had my levels checked and I was at 455. Did another test shortly after at it was at 668, Free was at 193.5, Bio at 389, and SHBG at 12, LH and FSH near zero and prolactin normal levels. However, my last few tests showed my red blood cells have been slightly elevated so she sent me to the endo doc. Once there I first met with the PA and long story short he said I was on too high of a test dose at then I should have never even been on TRT because my 280 and 387 levels were perfectly fine. I argued that it wasn't fine for my age which is 40, it was low and there was nothing wrong with 668 which is optimal. We continued to argue til the actual doc came in and reviewed my labs. I explained that my RBC counts may be high because if asthma and I've been having breathing issues lately but the doctor and I discussed it and I agreed to come off the TRT and have all levels checked again in a month. The doc said once we check my levels in a month we'll determine if I need to start clomid.

So that's the background story and now my question to you guys is, what can I expect after coming of one year of TRT? How bad can the crash be and how long before my levels may restabilize. If my RBC count is normal but test levels very low, should I request to be put back on test? So confused on all this.

PrettyPlease? is offline Banned
    That PA and a doctor need to revisit the books if they think your RBCs are going to go down in a month or you are going to show any sign of recovery a month after stopping after having been on a year.

However, to be fair, I do not think a level of 280 necessarily warranted TRT either. I would be curious to see what the rest of your initial labs looked like.

Why were you never able to get your levels normalized after being on a year?

And your crash is going to be miserable more than likely.
    Last edited by PrettyPlease?; 07-31-2015 at 11:10 AM.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    I'd find a new doc
    Beethoven likes this.

SweepTheLegJohnny is offline Junior Member
    Well, at least he's talking about running clomid... That's pretty rare among doctors.

Quick question. Do you donate blood on a regular basis? That has always brought my RBC count down. In fact, I just got an endo to cover my treatment (I was going through a private network) and I made sure I donated a few days before he asked me do a blood test to make sure that there weren't issues.

Beethoven is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post
    I'd find a new doc
    Agreed. None of your Dr's have had a clue. You're levels up and down are probably indicative of testing at different times and probably your injection protocol. Coming off blows and that Dr probably doesn't know how to proper PCT.
    NACH3 likes this.

bobtail is offline Associate Member
    Your going to die.

Just kidding!
    My dumbass doc did the same thing to me after my RBC went high. Total test went down to 138. I was suicidal!
    I decided to go to a men's health clinic and the doc has me donating blood every 2 weeks. My hematocrit is coming down now and she has me on 300mg test cyp every 2 weeks. Finally got somebody who knows what they are doing!
    Most endos don't know shit either. If you can afford it, go to a clinic. It runs me $65 every two weeks which is kind of a rip off but at least they know how to do trt. She checked everything and even prescribed an ai for me.
    You need to get to a good doc and get your levels stabilized. Google some clinics in your area.
    Sorry for your troubles, man. It totally sucks.

Well my levels in my personal opinion had to with a couple things. When it was at it's highest of 952 it was only about a month after starting TRT and I don't think my body hadn't started processing cyp properly yet. When it was down to 155 thinking back it was due to the fact the VA screwed up and mailing out my monthly doses and so I missed an injection right before getting labs done so ya, it was bound to be low.

Prettyplease, no 280 doesn't necessarily warrant TRT but when I was having so many low T signs and symptoms, I don't think it was a bad idea to start it.

How soon can I expect the feel the "crash"? I know the senior endo who's a pretty old dude and obviously been doing this awhile said he'd start clomid pending lab results in a month so hopefully that'll help. I had IGF tested and it was in the high range so that won't be an option they'll give me.

jasondd1 is offline Member
    Most guys on here had higher levels than 280 when they went on. 280 is definitely trt territory

bigdil511 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondd1
    Most guys on here had higher levels than 280 when they went on. 280 is definitely trt territory
    Mine was 297 but I'm 33 also. The total test isn't really what matters it could be 1000 but if your free test is low you aren't gonna feel well.

jasondd1 is offline Member
    Yes but most docs go by total to decide if you go on test or not and 280 is low
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdil511 View Post
    Mine was 297 but I'm 33 also. The total test isn't really what matters it could be 1000 but if your free test is low you aren't gonna feel well.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    You're going to feel shitty and be prone to developing gyno.

Quote Originally Posted by jasondd1 View Post
    Yes but most docs go by total to decide if you go on test or not and 280 is low
    You're 100% correct on that as I've researched the hell out of it. 280 may be in a "normal" range for males 21-65 y/o but it is not in an "ideal" and healthy range for a 40 y/o.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    Well I'm hoping the clomid the doc is going to put me on in a month will help with that. If not, I have plenty of adex already in my stash

PrettyPlease? is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCSS View Post
    Well I'm hoping the clomid the doc is going to put me on in a month will help with that. If not, I have plenty of adex already in my stash
    You will want something like Nolvadex or Raloxifene on hand to help combat Gyno

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    No hcg while on TRT?

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    No hcg while on TRT?
    No bro, it was never offered. My primary care physician is the one who started me on TRT and not an endo and I'm sure her knowledge was only limited and HCG was not considered. I was uneducated at it myself at the time so I was clueless as well.

Any suggestions of what I should request at my next follow appointment with the endo?

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The elevated RBCs are due to the TRT but can be easily resolved by donating blood monthly.

The original doctor needed to look at a lot of other things other than base Test levels to determine if TRT was a good course of action.

As has been said both the first doc and the current are clueless, you need to seek the opinion of those well qualified in this field.

It's actually the PA at the clinic who was clueless, the senior endo was spot on but didn't give much input. I argued with multiple things with the PA and will be going back to see him and will be bringing even more of fight til he fully passes me off to the senior endo.
    thisAngelBites likes this.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    So, your doctor put you in TRT after two blood tests of total T taken a week apart??

Thats completely crazy if no other tests were done, you could have had testicular cancer ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    So, your doctor put you in TRT after two blood tests of total T taken a week apart??

Thats completely crazy if no other tests were done, you could have had testicular cancer ffs
    That's the VA for you

The_Crawfish is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtail View Post
    I decided to go to a men's health clinic and the doc has me donating blood every 2 weeks. My hematocrit is coming down now and she has me on 300mg test cyp every 2 weeks. Finally got somebody who knows what they are doing!
    Most endos don't know shit either.
    Hate to break it to you man, but you still have a doc that doesn't know what they're doing...

2Sox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtail View Post
    Your going to die.

Just kidding!
    My dumbass doc did the same thing to me after my RBC went high. Total test went down to 138. I was suicidal!
    Most endos don't know shit either. If you can afford it, go to a clinic. It runs me $65 every two weeks which is kind of a rip off but at least they know how to do trt. She checked everything and even prescribed an ai for me.
    You need to get to a good doc and get your levels stabilized. Google some clinics in your area.
    Sorry for your troubles, man. It totally sucks.
    IMO, 300mg of Testosterone every 2 weeks definitely does NOT indicate someone who knows what they are doing. Just saying.
    Beethoven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Sox View Post
    IMO, 300mg of Testosterone every 2 weeks definitely does NOT indicate someone who knows what they are doing. Just saying.
    Are you guys saying 300 ever 2 weeks is too much or too little? I'm assuming too much and I can already say I know pinning every two weeks is not good due to test cyp's half life. I was pinning every once a week at 100 mg's

Mulder is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    Why would someone coming off TRT develop gynecomastia ? The testosterone level will be coming down and doesn't the estradiol level drop too?

The_Crawfish is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCSS View Post
    Are you guys saying 300 ever 2 weeks is too much or too little? I'm assuming too much and I can already say I know pinning every two weeks is not good due to test cyp's half life. I was pinning every once a week at 100 mg's
    No, we were referring the guy that we quoted, not you. It's not the amount that's of concern, it's the frequency of the pins. Usually when somebody says "x" amount every 3 weeks, that's how often they're pinning. As far as the quantity, 100/week may be too much for some, but may not be near enough for others.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Crawfish View Post
    No, we were referring the guy that we quoted, not you. It's not the amount that's of concern, it's the frequency of the pins. Usually when somebody says "x" amount every 3 weeks, that's how often they're pinning. As far as the quantity, 100/week may be too much for some, but may not be near enough for others.
    Ya I knew you were referring to him but I just wanted clarifications as to the responses of what he said. I too agree the frequency of the pinning was not good due to cyp half life. Thanks for the input though.

Thread Information