GymDog is offline Banned

Question on insulin & it's application in sports...

Since insulin crams a bunch of nutrients, carbs, etc. into your muscles, wouldn't it be good to use just before an athletic event for stored energy? Or are insulin's effects counter-productive? I wouldn't see how, but then again, if I knew, I wouldn't be asking this question here...

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I really dont think insulins role would be for loading BG back into your system for an event. i think you possibly might be treding on think ice by doing so. You're better off with a energy drink to do this.

To my best knowledge you would want to use insulin to creat an anabolic enviroment for muscle growth not for glucose replenishment in regards to an atheletic event. Like i said you would be better off using ALA with a carb drink.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    The idea behind using slin is to help replenish the glucosen that was used during you workout by helping the uptake of those nutrients, not for storing gulcosen or nutrients in none depleted muscle. You also need to be taking in carbs so you don't go hypoglicemic, so if you were say running and using up the carbs you'd run the risk of going hypoglicemic.

JohnnyB

GymDog is offline Banned
    That's what I was referring to. I meant if you train hard the day before your event, then shoot slin & eat plenty of carbs. I'm not talking about shooting slin during or just before the event. Basically, I'm asking if you can replenish your glycogen levels better this way (a day or two before the event), or would you be better off letting your body replenish glycogen naturally?

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by GymDog
    That's what I was referring to. I meant if you train hard the day before your event, then shoot slin & eat plenty of carbs. I'm not talking about shooting slin during or just before the event. Basically, I'm asking if you can replenish your glycogen levels better this way (a day or two before the event), or would you be better off letting your body replenish glycogen naturally?
    If you cant replenish your glycogen 2 days before an event than you need to see a doctor this problem. even one day before an event would be questionable.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

If you're referring to stocking up glycogen stores prior to some type of endurance event, carb loading is more than suffiecient. Some people do use insulin just prior to a workout or an event. However, the carb intake HAS to be overshot, as you can't possibly predict your energy output accurately. For something like power;ifting or just a general workout, where you have periods of rest between periods of exertion, insulin allows you to replenish glycogen stores (actually just provides directly usable glucose) between sets or attempts. Since you have to overshoot carb intake to prevent potential hyopglycemia, you're likely to fatten up if you make a habit of this.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    How does all of this affect the pancreas? Will it bring on adult onset diabetes ultimately? My dad is a diabetic so I am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    How does all of this affect the pancreas? Will it bring on adult onset diabetes ultimately? My dad is a diabetic so I am curious.
    Adult onset (type II) diabetes is not really a problem of the pancreas (like with type I), but it's a problem with insulin resistance in peripheral tissue (fat and muscle). Since, muscle and fat become less susceptible to the effects of insulin, your BG levels stay consistently high (hyperglycemia). High BG levels will cause the pancreas to secrete more insulin to compensate, which furthers the problem. So, when we use high dose insulin injections, our peripheral tissues (fat and muscle) can develop some degree of insulin resistance too, and this si why we cycle insulin, as opposed to using for prolonged periods. Most people with type II diabetes, genetic predispositions aside, have succombed to the disease because of improper diet/excercise. So, even if you have a genetic predisposition, proper diet and excercise can prevent the onset. I still wouldn't say it is a good idea to use insulin if you're predisposed to type II...as important as diet and excercise are, you're still more likely to develop type II.

Legal_Lifter is offline New Member
    the possible development of type 2 has been "one" of the reasons i have been waiting to really try a full slin cycle. or use the cycle as a regular training method. i am still researching. but, from what i have learned and seen so far... i would never try using it prior to lifting or some event for the reasons touched on in the other replies. i have seen fellow lifters misuse slin and fall on the floor during a workout. you can die. as far as i understand, you only shoot after the workout and immediatly slam a preset minimum amount of specific carbs and protein in the form of a fast acting drink, then eat a large balanced meal one hour after the drink, then again a few hours later. for the original question, carb loading sounds like the answer depending on the event. but watching people use slin b4 lifting freaks me out! :-0

revie is offline New Member
    i wouldnt recommend insulin for you if you are participating in strenuous cardio activity. because blood glucose will drop too low, that can be dangerous, blood glucose needs to be monitord regularily

Thread Information