topcat50 is offline Junior Member

POW meal examples

Well I've done plenty of research and have decided to try slin . I have purchased Humilin R and have talked with the pharmacist to reassure me that I'm looking at my increments correctly on the insulin syringe to draw correct dosage . I have decided to start with 4iu to check sensitivity followed by my pwo shake consisting of dextrose , protein , creatine and glutamine . Do you guys think that my following meal consisting of 2 chicken breast and 2 cups of rice would be about right or would you have better suggesions ?Thanks ,TC

I am just wondering if this meal will give me the sufficient amount of carbs needed .

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by topcat50
    Well I've done plenty of research and have decided to try slin . I have purchased Humilin R and have talked with the pharmacist to reassure me that I'm looking at my increments correctly on the insulin syringe to draw correct dosage . I have decided to start with 4iu to check sensitivity followed by my pwo shake consisting of dextrose , protein , creatine and glutamine . Do you guys think that my following meal consisting of 2 chicken breast and 2 cups of rice would be about right or would you have better suggesions ?Thanks ,TC
    I have 60 grams simple sugars 100 grams whey and my supplements after
    workout....Then an hour later I usually have 2 chicken breast 2 cups rice
    or a baked potato....I shoot 10iu a day and have had no problems..
    To more closely follow how much carbs you should take in buy a blood
    glucose meter and take readings every couple of hours..You want to
    be as close to hypo as possible with out any sides to make sure your
    not over doing it with carbs...
    Good Luck

Bigun is offline Senior Member
    I dont think the Prisoner Of War meal will give you enough calories bro, those guys used to look pretty skinny when I saw them on the war films!

(sorry I couldnt resist that! )

Rice and chicken breast is what a lot us use an hour and a half after Humalog so you may need to adjust the timings for the Humilin R. Just remember to measure your amounts of rice so you know that your not having too many or too little carbohydrates.

Thanks guys , I do appreciate your replies . I will pick up a meter so I can keep tabs on the levels. What levels should I be looking for and at what point should I check them ? By measuring out my carbs are you suggesting that I keep the rice at around two cups or just one potato ? After that meal at the 1 1/2 - 2 hr mark should I have another shake with carbs at the 3 hr mark ? I realize with the Humilin R my peak will be at 2 hrs so should I take in more at 3 hrs or should I be set or have some on hand and just coast and see ?

Sorry Kingpin I just reread and saw where you suggested checking levels every couple of hrs . Thanks !

Thanks guys , I do appreciate your replies . I will pick up a meter so I can keep tabs on the levels. What levels should I be looking for and at what point should I check them ? By measuring out my carbs are you suggesting that I keep the rice at around two cups or just one potato ? After that meal at the 1 1/2 - 2 hr mark should I have another shake with carbs at the 3 hr mark ? I realize with the Humilin R my peak will be at 2 hrs so should I take in more at 3 hrs or should I be set or have some on hand and just coast and see ?
    I have a blood glucose meter, it says that if you get below 70 then Iam getting hypo I try to keep mine at 90-110 if you use the meter ,you can
    fine tune your diet(by checking the meter every couple hours) to always be just above hypo but not getting fat,
    as far as the potato,cereal,wheat bread, rice that I eat as carbs in my first insulin meal I usually try to get 100 grams but thats me,everybodys different.
    Then I usually just coast as you say and drink protein and check my levels
    and keep some glucose tabs handy..
    Good Luck

Sorry Kingpin I just reread and saw where you suggested checking levels every couple of hrs . Thanks !
    just got done typing...no problem
    good luck, bro

Thanks KingPin, I appreciate your advice !

Thread Information