Dropdeadlegs is offline New Member

Type 1 diabetic starting on GH

Hi to all.....I'm a new user. I'm not well versed in all the ways of forum etiquette so please correct me if I do something out of line. One thing I've learned from browsing through the threads "never ask for a source!!!". Got it, no problem.
    I'm a type 1 diabetic, age 38 female, getting ready to use GH for first time.
    I've read that it will tend to increase blood sugar but I've also read that it complements insulin in the breakdown of blood sugar.
    Any type 1 diabetics out there that can relate their experience?

bigjohnr is offline Associate Member
    If Einstein does not reply to this, PM him. He knows his stuff.
    Good luck, if you remember let me know how you do on the HGH. I am unsing but my wife who is 40 is afraid to try it.
    Good luck!!!

Thanks. I've noticed Einstein is the brainiac around here. Hence the name?
    I'll let you know how it goes.

thanks, he will help. I am curious to see how you like it. I love it. How much are you going to do. I told my wife to start with 1 IU if she did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadlegs
    Hi to all.....I'm a new user. I'm not well versed in all the ways of forum etiquette so please correct me if I do something out of line. One thing I've learned from browsing through the threads "never ask for a source!!!". Got it, no problem.
    I'm a type 1 diabetic, age 38 female, getting ready to use GH for first time.
    I've read that it will tend to increase blood sugar but I've also read that it complements insulin in the breakdown of blood sugar.
    Any type 1 diabetics out there that can relate their experience?
    The talk of GH increasing/causing chronic hyperglycemia comes from people on it for GH deficiencies that were taking it for very long times. My BG values haven't waverd a bit since using it, and it's been about 1.5yrs straight, with just a week or two off here and there. it will cause an acute increase in BG, but that's followed by a gradual decrease in BG, due to the IGF-1 that';s increased due to GH.

being type I as opposed to type II, there really isn't any more concern for you than with someone w/o type I. You're insulin-dependent as it is, so the worst case scenario is your having to just slightly adjust your slin dosage up over time, but like I said, it's had no effects on increasing my insulin resistance (rather, it hasn't caused insulin resistance). At 1-2IU/day, I think that should almost be a nonissue.

Are you using lantus and then Humalog as needed? If you're using GH just for overall health benefits, then an AM dosing with no other changes is just fine. If you're looking to increase LBM with it (although it won't have dramatic effects in this department), then an AM dosing with a significant dose of Humalog (with appropriate subsequent dextrose and protein intake) will be the route you want to go. Are you already using Humalog post workout? If not, you may want to consider doing so.

If you were type II, there would be a whole different scenario, but being type I poses no increased ris IMO......it's actually a benefit.

Einstein,
    how many IU's a day are you taking? I am 44 are you younger or older?
    Thanks

I am on Lantus 27 units per day and Humulin R whenever I want to eat. I vary my R dose depending on what I eat. If I workout consistently and REALLY limit my carb intake, I take very little R. However, my eating habits leave much to be desired. My boyfriend is a personal trainer and is on my back about the food....nonstop.
    After a workout, my bg is normal or on the low side and the exercise increases the insulin absorption rate, so, why on earth would I take insulin AFTER a workout? I'd have to ingest massive carbs to keep it from going too low. He likes me to drink a protein shake after a workout.
    Also, I've read that taking GH in the evening is preferred as it mimics the natural release time. Explain why I should take it a.m.
    Lastly, pls explain why the insulin is a benefit with gh. I've seen alot of you talking about taking slin but I can't understand why a non-diabetic would want to risk a low sugar attack..... I can assure you they're not pleasant.
    Thanks, Einstein. You 'da man.
    Oh, by the way, yes, the GH is for overall health benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadlegs
    I am on Lantus 27 units per day and Humulin R whenever I want to eat. I vary my R dose depending on what I eat. If I workout consistently and REALLY limit my carb intake, I take very little R. However, my eating habits leave much to be desired. My boyfriend is a personal trainer and is on my back about the food....nonstop.
    After a workout, my bg is normal or on the low side and the exercise increases the insulin absorption rate, so, why on earth would I take insulin AFTER a workout? I'd have to ingest massive carbs to keep it from going too low. He likes me to drink a protein shake after a workout.
    Also, I've read that taking GH in the evening is preferred as it mimics the natural release time. Explain why I should take it a.m.
    Lastly, pls explain why the insulin is a benefit with gh. I've seen alot of you talking about taking slin but I can't understand why a non-diabetic would want to risk a low sugar attack..... I can assure you they're not pleasant.
    Thanks, Einstein. You 'da man.
    Oh, by the way, yes, the GH is for overall health benefits.
    If you're just using GH for overall health, then I wouldn't worry about trying to coordinate an insulin spike to complement it.
    GH complements insulin's ability to shuttle amino acids, as insulin can not facilitate the uptake of all amino acids. However, the amino acids that insulin does not shuttle are indirectly facilitated by GH, so as to provide a full complement of amino acids. Protein synthesis with one ore more amino acids in short suplly and the others in surplus is just the same as having them all in the quantity of the lowest quantity amino acids present.

Slin for BBing is a backwards way of looking at things for diabetics.....you take insulin to lower already high BG levels......we take insulin to shuttle nutrients, regardless of BG values at the time of administration. We take a dose of insulin and a dose of dextrose (glucose) so that our resulting BG values result in relatively normal BG levels. The reason for this is that post workout, our muscles are in a glycogen deprived state, which is prime for catabolism. By using insulin and the appropriate amount of dextrose, we rapidly infuse glucose into muscle when it's needed most to prevent catabolism and provide glucose to drive protein expression for the subsequent tissue repair (to repait damage due to resistance training). Also, amino acids are shuttled in a similar fashion, so there is plenty of raw material for protein synthesis to occur w/o our bodies having to resort to catabolism.

As for GH in the evening, exogenous GH will suppress endogenous GH, so unless you're GH deficient, there is no good reason to suppress your GH release at night, when it's naturally highest. Takin gjust an AM dose should have no impact on your night time GH release, based on research.
    To "mimic" your natural night time release......I know what you mean, but I think it's just a way of identifying cause and effect. Because GH is released mostly at night, most growth occurs then. However,,,,,a similar dose of GH at any other time will put the body in the same state

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnr
    Einstein,
    how many IU's a day are you taking? I am 44 are you younger or older?
    Thanks
    I still only use 10IU of Humalog pwo IM with 70-75g of dextrose.
    I'm 27

Thanks again Einstein. You're full of knowledge. Everything you said make sperfect sense. Once I start on this stuff, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thread Information