x_muscle is offline Junior Member

metformin (glucophage)

any one have feedback on this? can some tell me how its used? is comparable to slin! and what results do expect from it!

im thinking to use it post T-3 cycle to reduce the effects of supressed thyroid rebound.

bump>

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    I used it for 2 years when I was type 2 diabetic (runs in the family) if your gonna screw with your pancreas you might as well use slin, you will see better results. I'm not a big fan of slin because of the fear of getting diabetes. My 02

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    I used it for 2 years when I was type 2 diabetic (runs in the family) if your gonna screw with your pancreas you might as well use slin, you will see better results. I'm not a big fan of slin because of the fear of getting diabetes. My 02

you need more research budy, metformin works on the liver glycogen storage, its has nothing to do with the pancreas. its not like slin.

Yes BUDDY it does but when that is depleted where the F8ck do you think the insulin comes from your F8cking pancreas so it depletes the liver and stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin. Are you diabetic? Then shut the F8ck up! Your a little too cocky Bro.

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    Yes BUDDY it does but when that is depleted where the F8ck do you think the insulin comes from your F8cking pancreas so it depletes the liver and stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin. Are you diabetic? Then shut the F8ck up! Your a little too cocky Bro.

nope im not a diabetic, but im a pharmacy student. here is what metformin suposed to do:

Metformin is used by diabetics to increase the body's receptor sensitivity to insulin .Metformin lowers fasting blood glucose levels by an average of 25%.
    Metformin is used to regulate blood glucose (sugar) levels. Metformin works in three ways: first, it reduces the amount of glucose produced by your liver; second, it reduces the amount of glucose absorbed from food through your stomach; and third, it makes the insulin that your body produces work better to reduce the amount of glucose already in your blood.
    Metformin is used to treat non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus

Metformin is used to regulate blood glucose (sugar) levels. Metformin works in three ways: first, it reduces the amount of glucose produced by the liver; second, it reduces the amount of glucose absorbed from food through the stomach; and third, it makes the insulin that the body produces work better to reduce the amount of glucose already in the blood.
    Rosiglitazone is an antihyperglycemic agent.........dam it toook me long time to get all this info.

so you see it has nothing to do with the pancreas. im not tryng to be an ass, only danger i expect from it is lactic acidosis.
    im just trying to get somefeedback from people who tried it.

My apology. I am telling you I tried it for 2 years before my blood sugar was back to normal. Did I see major differences? No I didn't. I guess my position is if you are going to mess with anything to do with insulin production slin would be the best from what I've read. Glucophage is too mild to make much of a difference unless you take some absurd dose. How much are you thinking of taking.

Avandia (rosiglitazone) is a far better choice IMO. it's not comparab;e to slin, but it will increase insulin sensitivity a great deal.

SexyKitty is offline Female Vet
    Sorry had to throw my 2 cents in, but if your gonna use a TZD....use actos (pioglitazone) instead of Avandia (rosiglitazone). Both of them work the same way....ie they reduce insulin resistance, and allow the body to use it's own circulating insulin more effetively. However, Avandia should be taken twice daily to be effective and is known to increase LDL (bad cholesterol) whereas Actos is a once daily drug and helps to lower triglycerides, increase HDL (good cholesterol) and has no effect on LDL. Be cautious however as both of these drugs can potentially increase liver enzymes (ALT specifically).

Also keep in mind that both actos and avandia work at the cellular level so they take about 4-6 weeks before they even start to work, you may probably want to stick to insulin since you will need fast results. Metformin is not a great choice, 90% of its effectiveness comes from reducing hepatic glucose output and it loses efficacy pretty quickly....plus it causes big time gas and stomach upset.

flexin-rph is online now Member
    Been practacing pharmacy for 10 years now & have only seen 1 case of lactic
    acidosis in a 45y/o male who was on a dose of 1000mg twice a day. He came out
    of it after a stint in the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by flexin-rph
    Been practacing pharmacy for 10 years now & have only seen 1 case of lactic
    acidosis in a 45y/o male who was on a dose of 1000mg twice a day. He came out
    of it after a stint in the hospital.
    yep its very rare, i belive it 1 in evry 10000 can have lactic acidosis from metformin. its genetic, so either you have it or not.

after thinking for a while i may bot use it, since i will be using AAS, and that may stress more while using metformin, but im not sure.

sinista63 is offline Associate Member
    lactic acidosis may have a genetic component and seems to be related to kidney function. metformin is not recommended in elderly patients with or patients with a SrCr of >1.5 i believe... although a CrCl < 50 ml/min may be a better measure to use due to the variability in SrCr.

nice to see a few other pharmacists on here

Thread Information