Thread: BG Moniters

ColdSore is offline Banned

BG Moniters

I was looking at Wal mart the other day at BG moniters and i had some questions...

#1) what functions do i absolutely need in a moniter...(im sure alot come standard, but the prices ranged tremendously from very cheap to expensive)...

#2) does the size really affect the price???...they had one for 8.99 and 100 test strips would have ran me another 40 or so...but it wasnt a "compact" moniter???

If you have a model that you like please tell me the brand and model # so i can see if it would be avalibel to me...i want something fairly mid-range (cheap if possible)...and extremely easy to use...but also accurate....

any help is needed...im walking in the dark here...

heres some that i found with a simple google search

http://www.drugstore.com/search/sear...G&trxp2=2&pg=1

im guessing a kit has the lancets, and strips included???

I'm more than happy with the prestige one from gpz
    all you need is the ability to read BG.....memory or conversion to mmol is unnecessary, but the prestige does both and has a carrying case too.

Quote Originally Posted by einstein1905
    I'm more than happy with the prestige one from gpz
    all you need is the ability to read BG.....memory or conversion to mmol is unnecessary, but the prestige does both and has a carrying case too.
    i assume your talking about the 70$$$ monitering system...it came with strips, and lancets, and a case???...sounds good...

how many strips did it come with???...and can you reuse lancets???...dman im still learning

Quote Originally Posted by ColdStone
    i assume your talking about the 70$$$ monitering system...it came with strips, and lancets, and a case???...sounds good...

how many strips did it come with???...and can you reuse lancets???...dman im still learning

I shouldn't say this.....but I reuse lancets sometimes.
    Their kit used to be $50......$70 is still pretty good though. I don't remember how many strips came with it

I shouldn't say this.....but I reuse lancets sometimes.
    Their kit used to be $50......$70 is still pretty good though. I don't remember how many strips came with it
    basically i guess what i needed to know...does the kit come with all i need to get my levels monitered for the first time, and them some after?...dont think im missing anything in there, but wanna be sure before i order...

also...about reuseing...i was planning on monitering them every 10 mins for the first hour, and then every 15 mins for the 2nd hour, then 2 times in the 3rd hour...could i use one lancet for this and just put it in alchohol to keep it sterile...

and would this be how i go about doing my monitering...not real crazy about pricking my fingers though

basically i guess what i needed to know...does the kit come with all i need to get my levels monitered for the first time, and them some after?...dont think im missing anything in there, but wanna be sure before i order...

also...about reuseing...i was planning on monitering them every 10 mins for the first hour, and then every 15 mins for the 2nd hour, then 2 times in the 3rd hour...could i use one lancet for this and just put it in alchohol to keep it sterile...

and would this be how i go about doing my monitering...not real crazy about pricking my fingers though
    Screw you! Look at my graphs for the IM insulin thread.....do you know how many times I had to prick my fingers for that I reused the same lancet for about 4-5 pokes....when it's only 10 min apart or so, it's not a huge deal IMO. The lancet does get dull and barbed though so it sticks in you after a while. Pricking doesn't hurt, but every 10 minutes gets a bit rough.

The kit has all you need to measure right off the bat I think it's one container of strips, which has 25 strips.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Yeah, initially you'd like to see preworkout pwo, then about every 10 minutes for 2 + hours....after that, you can just check at certain time points....eventually, once dialed in, you'll only check every few days, if that

Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    thanks brotha!!!!...thats like half of what i would have payed at gpz for theres!!!...is this the one you use???

Yeah, initially you'd like to see preworkout pwo, then about every 10 minutes for 2 + hours....after that, you can just check at certain time points....eventually, once dialed in, you'll only check every few days, if that
    cool..so the 1st time is about the only time you need to prick the fukk out of your fingers...

do you re-moniter like that every time you begin a 4 weeks run to see if youve gained any insulin resistance>???

cool..so the 1st time is about the only time you need to prick the fukk out of your fingers...

do you re-moniter like that every time you begin a 4 weeks run to see if youve gained any insulin resistance>???

The first few times you'll want to check roughly every 15 minutes to establish a trend....after that, it's not so crucial. My diet is identical all the time, so my preworkout BG hardly ever varies, and my immediate pwo BG is almost always the same too.....if you change carb intake around alot pre workout, you may want to check until you get that dialed in too.

the start of each cycle, I'll check pre and post workout and also an AM fasting BG. I'll also check about 15-20 min after glucose, but not everyday...just to make sure everything is within range.

bigjohnr is offline Associate Member
    Einstein,
    would you mind giving a sample of your diet. I am tired and know my gluclose levels are effected by the HGH. If you are on HGH do you think it is essential to have a BG monitor?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnr
    Einstein,
    would you mind giving a sample of your diet. I am tired and know my gluclose levels are effected by the HGH. If you are on HGH do you think it is essential to have a BG monitor?
    Thanks
    My post insulin diet is in the "IM insulin injections" thread, but my preworkout meal (45 min prior) is 40g of protein (whey/casein) and 200-225g of yam.
    if you were very strict w/carbs before startign GH and didn't change your diet after starting using gH, then there is likely a need for adjusting carb intake some to compensate for the lowered BG due to the IGF-1 spike.

Thread Information