physio_sport is offline Banned

what do pigs and igf have in common?

i was reading this thread

http://67.18.108.244//showthread.php?t=115974

and its talking about pigs and igf.
    i don't really know too much about igf so can someone give me the lowdown in laymens terms.

the thing is im a muslim and just like jews we don't eat or touch pigs.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    It seems like it is being said that the IGF is derived from a pig, but it isn't. IGF-1 and Long R3-IGF1 are synthetic (not derived from any human or animal). I think they were trying to say that it was tested on pigs (they have very simular systems to humans) and the pigs reacted by developing antibodies.

You don't have to worry about taking the product and being exposed to any pig fluids.

physio_sport is offline Banned
    thank you for that explenation.

No problem.

Actually, the "long" region of LR3 is a region of the porcine (pig) growth hormone . All higher mammals like pigs are very similar to us.

What company out there uses pig hormones for human use?? I only know of one company that produces the chemical and they are completely synthetic. I don't know of any medical grade hormones off the top of my head that aren't completely synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by DBarcelo
    What company out there uses pig hormones for human use?? I only know of one company that produces the chemical and they are completely synthetic. I don't know of any medical grade hormones off the top of my head that aren't completely synthetic.
    it's merely a region of porcine GH...not the entire thing. LR3 is only "synthetic" because the native IGF-1 sequence and the native stretch of porcine GH are not naturally occurring....together, but separately, they are both naturally-occurring peptide sequences......of course they're made via recombinant DNA, but they are naturally-occurring sequences

But bovine is also a match, so how do we know some sources aren't bovine?

I think there may even be another matching sequence in another animal.

I think there may even be another matching sequence in another animal.

If the stretch of the GH peptide used is also homologous with the same stretch of any other mammals, it doesn't matter......it's not then "bovine" or "porcine" if it's not unique to a single species.......it's not coming FROM these animals though.....it's simply the sequence which corresponds to theirs at a particular region....it's all grown and purified in E. coli

That's what I meant in the first place really. It's all synthetic anyway. But the bovine and the porcine strands are identical to the human strand. They could, theoretically, get the hormone from either species and place it into the other species. Of course you would have to purify it to just the raw amino chain, but in theory, it could be done because the chain is 100% in all three species.

That brings me back to the point that it's confusing to people to say that the strand is porcine because part of it is a match to a region of the porcine strand when the human strand and the porcine strand are a 100% match. It also sounds as if part of the substance is being taken from a pig.

That's what I meant in the first place really. It's all synthetic anyway. But the bovine and the porcine strands are identical to the human strand. They could, theoretically, get the hormone from either species and place it into the other species. Of course you would have to purify it to just the raw amino chain, but in theory, it could be done because the chain is 100% in all three species.
    You checked the sequences? The whole bovine GH or porcine GH isn't 100% homologous to human GH, so unless you know exactly which stretch of aa's they're referring too, I don't think it can be said with such certainty that they're all homologous

Human LongTMR3Insulin-like Growth Factor-I (IGF-I) is an 83 amino acid analog of human IGF-I comprising the complete human IGF-I sequence with the substitution of an Arg for the Glu at position 3 (hence R3), and a 13 amino acid extension peptide at the N-terminus. Scientists have engineered this analog with the express purpose of increasing biological activity.

I found a picture of the structure that might be helpful to anyone wanting to compare it to the structure of human IGF-1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what do pigs and igf have in common?-longr3igfi.jpg  

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by einstein1905
    You checked the sequences? The whole bovine GH or porcine GH isn't 100% homologous to human GH, so unless you know exactly which stretch of aa's they're referring too, I don't think it can be said with such certainty that they're all homologous
    when you use all those big words I get all warm inside

j/k- you scare me sometimes with all the dang info you have in your head. You should have been called the unibomber
    abstrack@protonmail.com

builtthekid is offline Banned
    Einstein schooled him.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by builtthekid
    Einstein schooled him.
    einy is my teacher or I should say my sensia
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by einstein1905
    I haven't checked the sequence myself. I'm not even 100% sure, but I think I got that information from a study done my the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine. They did a study on IGF-1. They do a lot of related studies. In any case, I think it was them that said that there are three or four species with identical sequences of Somatomedin-C. I really shouldn't say Somatomedin-C, it was more like the Unbound Long 3 IGF-1 or something to that extent.

Thread Information