Geebee is offline Junior Member

Do we need slin to assimilate proteins ?

I've read on a diabetic site that beef produces an insulin spike. Does it mean that (endogenous) insulin is necessary to assimilate proteins ?

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    EVERYTHING spikes insulin bro, just some things more than others. Depends on how high it is on the GI. and insulin is THE storage hormone, it will store fat, sugar, ..everything

OK, but i'm a diabetic. If I eat proteins without slin, no slin will be in my bloodstream. Will these proteins get assimilated ?

chances is offline Associate Member
    Yes, insulin shuttles glycogen as it's main job, as you already know. It also stimulates the uptake of amino acids, but amino acids have another way of being absorbed which is through a co-transport mechanism with sodium ions. Both the aminos and sodium ions combine with a cell surface protein receptor and are transported inside the cell. Some aminos have their own specific transporter (proline), but most use the sodium co-transport mechanism.

So, yes, these proteins will be assimilated in your system.

The fact that you have no insulin in your system means that the PWO nutrition strategy used by non-diabetics is not going to work for you since it reies on a spike in insulin due to a flood of simple carbs entering the blood stream quickly. You won't get that spike.

chance

Chances, do I have enough sodium ions ? Do I need to eat salt (I hardly eat any) ? Do you know creon ? Would it help for assimilating proteins ?

chances is offline Associate Member
    Eating salt is not what you want to do. Too much salt is bad for you. You should be getting enough sodium through your diet. Just because you don't put salt on something doesn't mean there isn't any sodium in it. It's listed on food labels. Seriously, don't try to add sodium to up amino absorbtion.

As far as Creon is concerned, no I am not familiar with it, but looking it up in the PDR, it is basically supplimental pancreatic enzymes for digesting carbs, proteins, and fats. If you have a perscription for it, I don't see why it couldn't help, especially if you have lowered pancreatic enzymes.

chance

Chances, my blood sodium is very low (in standard brackets, but near the bottom of it) ; should I worry for proteins assimilation ? What should my diet be to get sodium ?

Thread Information