zaarel is offline Junior Member

IGF-1 and prostate cancer link

Read this on another site today after having started my first igf cycle last nite. Any thoughts on this? Frankly the article scares the **** outta me. I knew it could make existing cancer grow but this article leads me to believe the risk is higher.
    Insulin -Like Growth Factor I Tied to Prostate Cancer Risk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Aug 18 - Levels of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) correlate with risk of prostate cancer, particularly in men not yet 60 years of age, European researchers report. However, since IGF-I is involved in well-being, "Maybe the increased risk of prostate cancer is the price men have to pay for being well-fed and happy," according to the lead investigator.

Dr. Par Stattin of the University of Umea, Sweden, and colleagues note in the August 1st issue of the Journal of Oncology that IGF-I has been consistently shown to be an important factor in cancer development. Furthermore, it stimulates proliferation and inhibits apoptosis in prostate cancer cells.

The researchers previously reported an association between pre-diagnosis IGF-I levels and prostate cancer, from a nested case-control study. In an extension of that study, they now report more precise data on risk.

The researchers measured IGF-I levels in blood samples from 281 men who were diagnosed with prostate cancer a median of 5 years after giving the samples. Levels of IGF binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) were also established, and the findings were compared with those in 560 matched controls.

There was a significant increase in prostate cancer risk with increasing IGF-I levels. This amounted to an odds ratio of 1.67 for those with the highest compared to the lowest levels. Even after adjustment for IGFBP-3, the ratio remained at 1.47.

For men who were aged less than 59 years at recruitment, the odds ratio was 4.12. Moreover, the odds ratio for advanced cancer was 2.87 times greater in men with the highest versus the lowest IGFI levels.

Thus the researchers conclude that the association appears particularly strong "for IGF-I measurements made at a comparatively young age and for advanced disease."

Nevertheless, IGF-1 may make a difficult therapeutic target, Dr. Stattin told Reuters Health.

"An obvious, logical step," he said, would be "to try to pharmacologically lower IGF-I levels. However, levels of IGF-I are associated with many physiological processes, including growth and sense of well-being."

J Clin Oncol 2004;22:3104-3112.

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Bro AAS increases IGF-1 too, that why when you first start HRT you go in every 3 month so they can monitor you. So if your going to get cancer, you'll get it from gear as easy as IGF-1

JohnnyB

John Pasco is offline New Member

IGF and AS relation to cancer

Before beginning bodybuilding, I had prostate cancer and underwent a total prostatectomy. I then began a rigorous bodybuilding training schedule and entered the contest scene (with success). After a short while of working out, the cancer came out again and I underwent 12 weeks of radiation. The cancer became undetectable and has remained so for six years now. My doctors attribute the absolute absence (not just 'remission') of any cancer to my active bodybuilding regimen.

big4nuthin is offline Associate Member
    Awesome! Are you using any type of growth and AAS?

Thread Information