JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

IGF-1 BP binds poorly to LR3 IGF-1

Effect of recombinant porcine IGFBP-3 on IGF-I and long-R3-IGF-I-stimulated proliferation and differentiation of L6 myogenic cells.

Xi G, Kamanga-Sollo E, Pampusch MS, White ME, Hathaway MR, Dayton WR.

Department of Animal Science, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, Minnesota, 55108, USA.

Insulin -like growth factor (IGF)-I stimulates both proliferation and differentiation of myogenic precursor cells. In vivo, IGFs are bound to one of the members of a family of six high-affinity IGF binding proteins (IGFBP 1-6) that regulate their biological activity. One of these binding proteins, IGFBP-3, affects cell proliferation via both IGF-dependent and IGF-independent mechanisms and it has generally been shown to suppress proliferation of cultured cells; however, it also may stimulate proliferation depending upon the cell type and the assay conditions. Cultured porcine embryonic myogenic cells (PEMCs) produce IGFBP-3 and its level drops significantly immediately prior to differentiation. Additionally, IGFBP-3 suppresses both IGF-I and Long-R3-IGF-I-stimulated proliferation of embryonic porcine myogenic cells. In this study, we have examined the effects of recombinant porcine IGFBP-3 (rpIGFBP-3) on IGF-I- and Long-R3-IGF-I-stimulated proliferation and differentiation of the L6 myogenic cell line. L6 cells potentially provide a good model for studying the actions of IGFBP-3 on muscle because they contain no non-muscle cells and they do not produce detectable levels of IGFBP-3. RpIGFBP-3 suppresses both IGF-I and Long-R3-IGF-I-stimulated proliferation of L6 cells, indicating that it suppresses proliferation via both IGF-dependent and IGF-independent mechanisms. Our data also show that rpIGFBP-3 causes IGF-independent suppression of proliferation without increasing the level of phosphosmad-2 in L6 cultures. Additionally, rpIGFBP-3 suppresses IGF-I-stimulated differentiation of L6 cells. In contrast, however, rpIGFBP-3 does not suppress Long-R3-IGF-I-stimulated differentiation. This suggests that rpIGFBP-3 does not have IGF-independent effects on L6 cell differentiation.

JohnnyB

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    Come on Johnny, break it down.

builtthekid is offline Banned
    **** i dont understand but i still thing that lr3
    is some fire.

cyflex is offline Associate Member
    what does this study means for as bros, about our health (proliferation& differentiation of L-6 cells)??

Thread Information