big4nuthin is offline Associate Member

Insulin only good for 30days after opened?

I am using humalog right now, but was informed that slin is only good for 30days after its been opened. Any truth to this? Thanks.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    What you mean is, its good for 30 days out of the fridge. Keep it in the fridge and it will be fine.

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member

yea keep it cool, intense heat will make it degrade even faster (obviously)...
    since your using slin, i just wanted to post this, hopefully other uses will read it too!

Just tried my first inject of slin, pgf2a, igf-1 in the same bilateral needles pwo/// The pump is crazy, and i've only been using the prostaglandin and igf for about 2-3 weeks now! my strength in the site muscles is going through the roof, and i feel like my arms are going to explode when i inject them!

Also taking r-ala caps right before my last 3-4 set exercise, so it increases insulin sensitivity, and it does make a pretty substantial difference!

All in all the purpose of this was to warn igf users to watch your blood glucose when you use slin if you do. It made my slin much more effective, and i now need 10g carb/iu instead of 6-7!!!
    Good combo indeed!

Only good for 30 days after opened

I always keep it in the fridge, but a pharmacist friend said slin is only good for 30 days after it is opened. Supposedly it degrades. This is what concerns me, because there is no way I am going to use that much slin in 30 days. It seem like it would be a waste to throw away your unused slin after 30 days. Any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by big4nuthin
    I always keep it in the fridge, but a pharmacist friend said slin is only good for 30 days after it is opened. Supposedly it degrades. This is what concerns me, because there is no way I am going to use that much slin in 30 days. It seem like it would be a waste to throw away your unused slin after 30 days. Any insight?
    you are correct that it does slowly degrade, whether refrigerated or not, just the cool climate keeps the degredation to a minimum. And your pharmacist friend might want to do some research brotha, cause they are entirely wrong that it is worthless in 30 days. It is worthless in 30 days if kept around 75-85 degrees farenheit!

Then how long is it good for once opened, but

always stored in the fridge?

long enough where you will use all of it before its useless! it depends highly on temperature, and consistency!

dont worry about it, its nto a prob!

DoctaBig is offline Member
    im a pharm. and i would say when you take into consideration that your heating/agitating the suspension when you remove it from the refrigerator i would say after 90 days trash it. If your taking it to the gym with you, then keep it for only 30.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctaBig
    im a pharm. and i would say when you take into consideration that your heating/agitating the suspension when you remove it from the refrigerator i would say after 90 days trash it. If your taking it to the gym with you, then keep it for only 30.
    When we take Insulin to gym, we dont take the whole 10ml bottle with us. Instead, we preload a slin syringe, and take that to the gym with us. So if the 90/30 day thing you mentioned about Insulin is true, then there is no need to dump the whole bottle after 30 days, as the actual Insulin bottle doesnt leave the fridge, only the syringe does. And for the ones that do take the whole bottle to the gym, most actually have a Insulin carry case where they keep their Insulin cool.
    Last edited by Gear; 10-13-2004 at 08:42 AM.

DEVLDOG is offline Retired VET
    ive been using the same 10ml bottle for 3 months now and it isnt any less potent that i can tell.if i dont get my ppwo meal within an hr after my shot i start to go hypo.im not buying the 30 days and its trash theory.mine dont leave the fridge other then the 5 sec it takes to fill a pin and then the pin goes in a carrying case with a cooler till i use it.and the bottle back in the fridge.its your dime though bro,if you want to trash it and buy a new one then go right ahead.a waste IMO though.

DoctaBig is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gear
    When we take Insulin to gym, we dont take the whole 10ml bottle with us. Instead, we preload a slin syringe, and take that to the gym with us. So if the 90/30 day thing you mentioned about Insulin is true, then there is no need to dump the whole bottle after 30 days, as the actual Insulin bottle doesnt leave the fridge, only the syringe does. And for the ones that do take the whole bottle to the gym, most actually have a Insulin carry case where they keep their Insulin cool.
    I figured that you do guys do that. I personally do not use slin, but if i did i would do exactly that. Anway, you should be money for at least 90 days. I not 100% sure but i dont think that those vials are sealed with nitrogen or anything so there's no difference between open or un-open. I would say 90 days is safe possibly 120. But toss it after that!

Thanks all. As long as its good for at least 90 days cool.

Umm, I am not too sure on your 90/30 day theory. I mean if the stuff is rubbish after 90 days, then why does my humalog's expiry date say end of 05? That is a lot longer than 90 days. If Insulin dies out after 90 or even a 120 days like you said then there should be some sort of a warning on the bottle for the doibetics saying that the stuff is no good after "watever watever" time. It just doesnt make sence.

Bigun is offline Senior Member
    Would anyone use a vial opened in May/June that has been kept refrigerated always apart from being taken out to draw off?

May/June this year? Yeah I would.

REM
    REM is offline Member
    so if taking the vial out of the refrigerator has an effectiveness problem and then u have to trash it, so take urself inside the refrigerator and draw it in there this way u dont take the vial out of the refrigerator and its shelflife remains the same......

REM
    REM is offline Member

Igf-1 Oral...

has anyone try this oral stuff?
    would u reccommend it?

ColdSore is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gear
    Umm, I am not too sure on your 90/30 day theory. I mean if the stuff is rubbish after 90 days, then why does my humalog's expiry date say end of 05? That is a lot longer than 90 days. If Insulin dies out after 90 or even a 120 days like you said then there should be some sort of a warning on the bottle for the doibetics saying that the stuff is no good after "watever watever" time. It just doesnt make sence.
    agreed...my exp date says june 2005...and im sure those dates are regulated to safety standards

DEVLDOG is offline Retired VET
    Quote Originally Posted by REM
    has anyone try this oral stuff?
    would u reccommend it?
    ORAL IGF?? NOT POSSABLE BRO

REM
    REM is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVLDOG
    ORAL IGF?? NOT POSSABLE BRO
    why not possible?
    is this injectable only?

Quote Originally Posted by REM
    so if taking the vial out of the refrigerator has an effectiveness problem and then u have to trash it, so take urself inside the refrigerator and draw it in there this way u dont take the vial out of the refrigerator and its shelflife remains the same......
    Taking the vial out of the fridge for a few minutes while we load up the syringe wont make any difference, coz the vial still remains the same temperature when out of the fridge for those few min. No need to sit inside your fridge loading up your syringe lol

Thread Information