Carth is offline Associate Member

How much dextrose/maltodextrin?

How much of what carb is best used for pre and post workout? If I want to take 100grams of carbs, should it be 50% dextrose and the other 50% maltodextrin? Or should my post workout be all 100% dextrose? What??? And what about for preworkout? 50/50? Or all of it Malto?

Oh! Almost forgot...I will be using Slin for post workout.

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    if your using insulin i personally would use only dextrose, but others will differ. I dont want the complex carbs. As far as pre-workout it is not necessary to have carbs, unless it is a good 3-4 hours before, as it wont be to any benefit otherwise. At most drinking dex would spike your insulin levels therefore making you lethargic during your lift!

Let me get this straight. Your suggesting for me to take 100% Dextrose for Post WO....right? With my slin of course. But not to consume any carbs at all BEFORE MY WORKOUT?!!!

So I'm basically supposed to wake up in the morning at 4am and eat NOTHING and then go train my ass off?!!!! WHAT?! Thats crazy!

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    If you are using Insulin then dextrose is your best option. However, you can use maltodextrin as it will defenitely do the job. And you dont have to have carbs pre workout, but its wise to have some energy in your body before training therefore would be best to consume carbohydrates (complex) approx 2.5 - 3hrs prior to training. But like I said, not right before training. In your case, I would have a solid breakfast, wait at least 45 minutes, and then go and train.
    Last edited by Gear; 11-09-2004 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelxterminator
    I dont want the complex carbs.
    Dont get fooled by the term "complex". Maltodextrin is a complex carbohydrate, but this doesnt necessarily mean its slow acting. Maltodextrin is absorbed fast by the body just like dextrose.

Quote Originally Posted by Gear
    If you are using Insulin then dextrose is your best option. However, you can use maltodextrin as it will defenitely do the job. And you dont have to have carbs pre workout, but its wise to have some energy in your body before training therefore would be best to consume carbohydrates (complex) approx 2.5 - 3hrs prior to training. But like I said, not right before training. In your case, I would have a solid breakfast, wait at least 45 minutes, and then go and train.
    I'm up at 4am and I'm at the gym by 5am. That is 1 hour time. Come on! I got to have some energy that time! How can somebody wake up that **** early and expect to train like an animal without food! Thats silly!

Quote Originally Posted by Gear
    Dont get fooled by the term "complex". Maltodextrin is a complex carbohydrate, but this doesnt necessarily mean its slow acting. Maltodextrin is absorbed fast by the body just like dextrose.
    So which one for pre and post? Malto or Dextrose? Or both half and half? Or malto for pre and dex for post?

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Personally, I have to respectively disagree with both replies about no carbs prior to workout. Best approach is definately have some evan if it's a medium GI piece of fruit. Why workout (with some intensity) with no carbs?? Makes no sense as where is your muscles going to get its supply of energy?? Take a guess...

For breakfast, your better of having something slow releasing, something like Oats.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Personally, I have to respectively disagree with both replies about no carbs prior to workout. Best approach is definately have some evan if it's a medium GI piece of fruit. Why workout (with some intensity) with no carbs?? Makes no sense as where is your muscles going to get its supply of energy?? Take a guess...
    If your training in the evening, you would have had a fair few meals by then which means the energy is already there. So consuming some carbs a few hrs before training should be just enough to maintain the energy level while training. I totally disagree on training on empty stomach also, and having a piece of fruit right before training is fine as a piece of fruit it is not a full proper meal, so it wont make you feel bloated but will give you that bit of extra boost. When I said consume carbs few hrs before training, I meant a full solid proper meal, not just a piece of fruit. Would you eat a full solid meal right before training? Maybe you would, and if that does you well then thats fine, I respect that. But I dont know many people that have a big ass meal right before they hit the gym, I certinly dont.

Thread Information