Carth is offline Associate Member

Blood glucose reading

Does anybody here use a blood glucose meter?

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    I do when I'm using LR3

JohnnyB

OK. cool. Well...here is my question. When I get up at 4:20am...I have a maltodextrin/whey shake. Malto is 100grams, with 10grams of MCT and 50grams of Whey. By 5am I am at the gym training. I get out by 6:15am and then down a shake in my car. The shake is 100grams of Dextrose and 50 whey. I'm currently taking GH at 6ius per day.

I take 2ius before I leave to the gym. Another 2 at around 1pm and another 2 before bed at 10pm. I'm going to start using slin soon. But I only want to use it for postworkout. Probably the most I would do is between 4-6ius for postworkout. So in regards to the blood glucose meter. When should I take my readings?

When I get out of the gym?
    Before I down the dextrose shake?
    Before I take the slin?
    After the slin and dextrose?
    WHAT???? HOW????

And what readings should it say?

If you are trying to time your dextrose shake when the slin startes to take effect that will depend of the type of slin your using and how its injected. Obviously humalog is the fasted acting slin and if injected IM it will start to take effect even faster as opposed to sub-q. IMO I wouldn't use anything other humalog(or another fast acting slin)....and I always inject IM.....it takes effect faster and its out of your system faster. Any glucose readings below 80 are considered hypo. Normal range is 80-120.
    Last edited by 01dragonslayer; 12-17-2004 at 10:47 AM.

I do have humalog. And my doc and the glucose meter I have say that anythign below 70 is hypo!

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Carth
    I do have humalog. And my doc and the glucose meter I have say that anythign below 70 is hypo!
    "Anything below 70 is hypoglycemia" = generally speaking. This doesnt necessaraly apply for everyone. Some people might feel hypo at 70, some might not. Evereybody is different. However, your doctor is right by saying that anything below 70 is low. Thats defenitely something that does apply for everyone wether they feel hypo or not.

-Gear

I took my blood this morning and it was at 65. I didn't feel hypo at all! Sleepy and weak. But not like I was going to pass out!

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gear
    "Anything below 70 is hypoglycemia" = generally speaking. This doesnt necessaraly apply for everyone. Some people might feel hypo at 70, some might not. Evereybody is different. However, your doctor is right by saying that anything below 70 is low. Thats defenitely something that does apply for everyone wether they feel hypo or not.

-Gear
    Ive taken mine and it was 64 and I was okay I think 70 is just a safe number

And my doc and the glucose meter I have say that anythign below 70 is hypo!
    It is all what is defined in their scope of practice which is set by the state or local medical direction. The range from 80-120 is a general guideline. In my state we are taught to treat any syptomatic blood glucose below 80mg/dl as hypo. An asymtomatic glocose 50mg/dl, even in a diabetic, is really not too much of a concern. Its when they start showing signs of hypoglycemia that we intervene.

Sleepy and weak.
    Those are signs of hypoglycemia. I'm not saying its from your blood glucose being below 80, but if that occurs post insulin injection don't hesitate to drink your carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 01dragonslayer
    Those are signs of hypoglycemia. I'm not saying its from your blood glucose being below 80, but if that occurs post insulin injection don't hesitate to drink your carbs.
    For sure! No doubt on that. But you also have to think about something else bro. I only get around 5.5 hours of sleep! And I am at the gym at 5am you know! Its not like I get 8 hours of sleep...eat all day....and HOURS later train.

Thread Information