Mr. Sparkle is offline Slinabolic Vet / Retired

Question How would I know MY insulin sensitivity?

I keep reading that your dose is contingant upon your insulin sensitivity... but how would I found out what mine is? I am currently using 10ius PWO with 8g of carbs per IU. I monitor my blood very often, and no complaints here. Soon I my comparison of my BG levels of PWO with slin and PWO with out, with the same diet of course. Anyway I have read where 10ius is plenty for muscle growth.... But there is an occasional few that go up to 20 ius... and everything in between.... So what do I need to know about insulin sensitivity?

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I am no expert in insulin use (never took it as of yet)but insulin resistance is the ability or inabilty to use/dispose glucose in the liver and other tissues such as skelatal muscles. If you have to keep increasing insulin levels with a decrease result/responsivness (growth) then maybe you have a sensitivity issue. I beleive the end result is you will have a much higher BG level. Type 2 diabetes can result and extra fat storage as there is a correlation in obesity & insulin resistance. R-ALA can help with sensitivity to allow tissues to respond & uptake the glucose. If you are responding with 10iu's I am not sure why you would wish to increase to 20? Taking a higher iu as I know it is a tell-tale sign of insulin resistance(less sensitivity). Perhaps bump for a better clarification..
    Last edited by bluethunder; 12-24-2004 at 07:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Mr. Sparkle is offline Slinabolic Vet / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    I am no expert in insulin use (never took it as of yet)but insulin resistance is the ability or inabilty to use/dispose glucose in the liver and other tissues such as skelatal muscles. If you have to keep increasing insulin levels with a decrease result/responsivness (growth) then maybe you have a sensitivity issue. I beleive the end result is you will have a much higher BG level. Type 2 diabetes can result and extra fat storage as there is a correlation in obesity & insulin resistance. R-ALA can help with sensitivity to allow tissues to respond & uptake the glucose. If you are responding with 10iu's I am not sure why you would wish to increase to 20? Taking a higher iu as I know it is a tell-tale sign of insulin resistance(less sensitivity). Perhaps bump for a better clarification..

See thats the way I see it.... but remember pretty much the only thing you "feel" while on slin is going hypo... I now know what people are saying. "man I dont feel anything on slin, this stuff sucks" I can see where they get that idea. But I am growing thus far. its been less than a week I am up 4 pounds... all of my stretch marks are getting way darker and my boxers are tighter on my quads... so I am assuming that 10ius is more than sufficient.

Anyway, I need to do more research thats for sure... Just wanted to post and see what was said. Also I need to look more deeply in to r-ala...

big4nuthin is offline Associate Member
    Insulin is no miracle conpund. It works well for some and nada for others. I know a very successful national competetor that thinks insulin is a waste and just asking for trouble. Its really up to you. I am uopt 12 iu's per dosage and I think the good ole days of 6-8 iu's are gone. Even when off for 4 weeks I still need at least 10 iu's to feel anything.

Illusion of size is offline Junior Member
    Only way to actually deter,ine insulin sensitivity at all would be to monitor blood levels every 2-3 hours every day for about 2 weeks along with keeping a detailed journal of what you eat and when. THe doctor can then do an analysis to determine how much insulin you need to increase BG levels.

This is what is done during diagnosis and treatment of diabetics.

Problems of course are :
    1. Doc will give rec levels for a diabetic, not a bodybuilder.
    2. average BG levels will be VERY dependant on what you eat and so will change over time .

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    You will know how sensetive you are when you use it depending on how many carbs you have for every 1IU of Insulin . A good idea is a BG monitor. That will give you a fair idea about how you feel on whatever your BG level is at the time. However, if you want to be more precise, there is always a more accurate way to find out your Insulin sensetivity. Best thing to do, see your doctor, easy as that.

-Gear
    Last edited by Gear; 12-25-2004 at 07:43 PM.

Latimus is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gear
    You will know how sensetive you are when you use it depending on how many carbs you have for every 1IU of Insulin . A good idea is a BG monitor. That will give you a fair idea about how you feel on whatever your BG level is at the time. However, if you want to be more precise, there is always a more accurate way to find out your Insulin sensetivity. Best thing to do, see your doctor, easy as that.

-Gear
    cant get better advice then that....

Thread Information