marlin444 is offline Associate Member

Went hypoglycemic today

i got out of the gym at 9:00, took my 10 iu slin shot and drank 100g of dextrose mixed into a power aide. then i had some half a pound of ham at 9:30. i ordered a meal to be delivered to me which would take baout an hour and fifteen minutes to get to me. it got to me in 1 hour, and i started munching down, but stopped because i got really lightheaded and dizzy. my vision was blurry, and i realized i was sweating profusly. i took out my glucose tabs and ate probibly close to 25 of them, and drank a bunch of dextrose (unsure of amount i figured id over kill to be safe....) about 15 minutes later, i was FREEZING and extreemly tiered. i was really confused the whole time, and not very aware of my surroundings. How Close was i from dieing? and why did it happen like this this time? normally i can get away with 70 grams of dex per 10 iu slin.

I am using GH at 3 ius a day split twice daily, and the type of slin is Humolog.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    What you just said happens to me all the time. When you use Insulin you have to expect things like that to happen, everyone recats differently. However though, you were far from dieing. The distance from going into hypoglycemia depends on your daily activities, your BG level at the time and the amount of nutrients taken to keep out of hypo. Everyone knows their cumfy zone once they have experinced using Insulin a few times. Just be carefull.

-Gear

nsashbl is offline Associate Member
    You'll pass out before you die! My mother is a type 1 diebetic and I've been there through some pretty scary hypo's. First bad stage is acting really drunk, then passing out. At any major point, IV glucose is required. I've talked to many Endo about this. They told me that every hypo does brain and organ damage and it's like holding a loaded gun.

I know two type 2 diabetics that brought their disease on by using slin.

Just my .02

statuZ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nsashbl
    You'll pass out before you die! My mother is a type 1 diebetic and I've been there through some pretty scary hypo's. First bad stage is acting really drunk, then passing out. At any major point, IV glucose is required. I've talked to many Endo about this. They told me that every hypo does brain and organ damage and it's like holding a loaded gun.

Just my .02
    you know 2 people who got diabetes from using slin? thats very rare! did it run in the family?

notus is offline Member
    So what could have been done to prevent this from happening?

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by grady
    So what could have been done to prevent this from happening?
    Preventing going into hypoglycemia means not letting your BG drop too much. And to do that, you must have enough carbohydrates in your body, so your body can convert most of those carbohydrates into glucose, and feed of the glucose which gives us energy. The second your body has nothing to feed of (lack of carbohydrates in your body), is the second your BG drops, and that's when our energy starts to drop too. However, things can get worse like blurry vision, confusion, dizzyness and a few other common hypoglycemia symptoms. So to cut the long story short, if you have enough carbs in your body you should be fine. Hope that helped.

-Gear

darmadoc is offline Member
    The problem is, once you pass out you can't take any more glucose. Your friends, coworkers, etc. are unlikely to have IV dextrose around. By the time they figure out your not just sleeping, drunk, joking, etc. and get EMS there, you are likely to have permanent neurological damage. This is very dangerous stuff.

To add to Gear's reply... Just start keeping an eye on your bg before you take slin. It will help you learn your body. If bg is to low the slin will drop it into hypo range.

Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by darmadoc
    The problem is, once you pass out you can't take any more glucose. Your friends, coworkers, etc. are unlikely to have IV dextrose around. By the time they figure out your not just sleeping, drunk, joking, etc. and get EMS there, you are likely to have permanent neurological damage. This is very dangerous stuff.
    Yea, I have heard all this from my mom's endo's. I have been there for many of her bad hypo's. It's **** I never wish on anyone. That's the main reason I'll never **** with slin.

I'm curious as to wether or not his thread is exaggerated. If you took 100 grams of dextrose WITH powerade, then ate a whole meal about an hour later or so, I dont see why the symptoms were that bad. The only thing that I might question is how your blood sugar had been throughout the day before you took the shot. It may have been extrememly low all day and maybe you just reacted differently to it than usual. I can always feel slin after I take it, I almost always get sweaty, a little shaky and euphoric feeling, but never blurred vision like that. Was it Humulog or Humulin R??

profbiv is offline Associate Member
    I never went that bad but after the first hypo experience I downed a Pepsi and then the tabs.

I know from my mom's experience that everyone also reacts differently to carbs in foods. For example, my mom's bg reacts to fruit carbs much slower than any other simple carbs. It's all just learning your body I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by nsashbl

Just my .02

Does IGF-1 bring out diabetes the same way something like Humulin would?

marlin444 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    I'm curious as to wether or not his thread is exaggerated. If you took 100 grams of dextrose WITH powerade, then ate a whole meal about an hour later or so, I dont see why the symptoms were that bad. The only thing that I might question is how your blood sugar had been throughout the day before you took the shot. It may have been extrememly low all day and maybe you just reacted differently to it than usual. I can always feel slin after I take it, I almost always get sweaty, a little shaky and euphoric feeling, but never blurred vision like that. Was it Humulog or Humulin R??
    Bro no exaggeration! thats the only reason i started this post. i decided to stop the slin until i get a bg moniter. I highly surgest that to anyone using slin after this experience.

Thread Information