Thread: Humalog

Buildingmuscle is offline Associate Member

Humalog

Got a question for you bros,

Was checking on some humalog insulin and didnt know which one to go with when I get ready to get it, I've still got alot of research I'm going to do before I do it.

the place i can get it at has:

Humalog Insulin
    (1.5ml) cartridge

Humalog Insulin
    100/ml vial

Humalog Insulin
    cartridge (+free pin)

these are all by namebrand Lispro I think it is

out of these which one would be the best to get?

thanks for any info.

Mach1 is offline Junior Member
    Get the vial and keep it in the fridge, it'll last forever.....umm....well.....maybe a year.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    100ml vial? I'm sure you meant the 10ml (1000IU) vial. Stick with that, and get some U100 pins.

-Gear

KGBnine is offline Anabolic Member
    And lispro is part of the drug name for insulin . It should be made by Lilly if it's humalog.

Are you sure it doesn't say 100 U/mL????

Whitey is offline Anabolic Member
    Get the 10ml vial of humalog, bro.

Ironman5151 is offline Associate Member
    10ml vial. Much easier to work with it, and it will last you long enough.

Buildingmuscle is offline Associate Member
    thanks for the info,

it does say 100ml but to the side of it its saying you can buy 10 - 10ml vials
    or you can buy 1 10ml vial or 2 and so on

thanks,

Yeah, pretty sure it does not come in a 100ml size.

OneEyedJohnny is offline Junior Member
    there are 2 types of rapid acting insulins in the Log variety:

1) Novolog (aspart) insulin , which has an onset of 5-10 minutes, reaches peak activity within 40-75 minutes (52 minutes being average in clinical trials), and has an average active life of 3-3.5 hours.

2) Humalog (lispro) insulin, which has an onset of 10-15 minutes, reaches peak activity within 1-1.5 hours (75 minutes being average in clinical trials),0 and has an average active life of 3.5-4 hours.

Regular insulin has an onset of 30 minutes, reaches peak activity in 2-3 hours (145 minutes being average in clinical trials), and has an average active life of 6-8 hours.

I have always been curious about why people preach about using the shortest acting rapid insulin yet choose Humalog, when obviously Novolog is THE shortest acting of the rapid acting insulins. We/I use them interchangeably in the hospital setting, but in our sport when we preach to novices about "THE shortest acting insulin" ... yet don't endorse "THE shortest acting insulin", since everyone preaches about Humalog, don't we degrade the trust that the novices have in us (even though the 2 insulins CAN be used interchangeably)? What I mean is if we are going to preach about "the shortest acting insulin", shouldn't we be pushing Novolog? The price is virtually the same ... is it availability or something? Could anyone explain?

OneEye

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey
    Yeah, pretty sure it does not come in a 100ml size.
    It doesn't, if so we would be using it in the hospital setting since we use sooo much of that stuff. Plus the pharmaceutical companies don't want people giving theirselves an unrecoverable overdose ... 10ml of any insulin can be counteracted easily with Glucagon if caught in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buildingmuscle
    these are all by namebrand Lispro I think it is
    Eli Lilly makes Humalog ... Novo Nordisk makes Novolog (NovoRapid if you live outside the U.S.). I prefer Novolog due to its availability to ME, I am sure Humalog is easier to get considering it is domestic and therefore more accepted by doctors and furthermore kept in stock in local chain-store pharmacies (ie-Eckerd, Rite-Aid, etc). Most (but not all) hospitals use Novolog due to its fast onset and peak, predictability, and you only need to use 90% of your normal Humalog dosage to get the same effect (leading to a 10% cost savings as compared to using Humalog). The last reason the hospitals use it is the most interesting ... if you use 10iu's Humalog, then you should only use 9iu's Novolog to attain the same glucose/nutrient transporting effect.

OneEye

Well, I'll be darned! Learned something today! Don't think I can get Novalog, but that's good to know.

Thread Information