alwayson is offline Associate Member

what is the evidence that dextrose is superior to fructose?

My dad is a top carbohydrate chemist in the world is an editor on a couple of scientific journals.

He told me that any claim dextrose was better than fructose for PWO was bull****.

Yet I hear on this board that fructose becomes liver glycogen, while dextrose becomes muscle glycogen?

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    All types of sugar gets stored in BOTH the liver and muscles as the Glycemic Index in part determines the how much and where.

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    I always wondered this myself. I found one study but that was months ago. I can not remember what the link was. It wasn't very conclusive though.

My opinion is sugar is sugar, the body doesn't differentiate. I just use dextrose because I have 150 pounds of it in my house.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Absoloute false information. Glucose (dextrose) has the fastest effect therefore is best PWO. I'll tell you why. For our body to gain energy, it must consume carbohydrates. Once we have carbohydrates, these carbohydrates are converted to glucose, and then the body uses that glucose as either energy, stores it as glycogen or converts it into fat. Glucose also has an effect on Insulin levels. So glucose is glucose, and once you have glucose there is no need for conversion, your body right away uses it as energy or whatever else. So the digestion of glucose is the fastest as it does not need to be converted to glucose because it is glucose already.
    Now, frucotose digestion is slower than glucose simply because fructose is not 100% glucose. Its half fructose and half glucose. So therefore the effect of fructose would be much more slower/weaker than glucose.

However, all these sugars are beneficial for our body except some take longer to digest than others due to its purity.

P.S. Fructose does not rise BG as much as glucose does. Fructose by itself hardly has any effect on Insulin levels.

-Gear
    Last edited by Gear; 03-16-2005 at 08:11 PM.

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    That makes a lot of sense. It doesn't explain the selective glycogen theory though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gear
    Absoloute false information. Glucose (dextrose) has the fastest effect therefore is best PWO. I'll tell you why. For our body to gain energy, it must consume carbohydrates. Once we have carbohydrates, these carbohydrates are converted to glucose, and then the body uses that glucose as either energy, stores it as glycogen or converts it into fat. Glucose also has an effect on Insulin levels. So glucose is glucose, and once you have glucose there is no need for conversion, your body right away uses it as energy or whatever else. So the digestion of glucose is the fastest as it does not need to be converted to glucose because it is glucose already.

Now, frucotose digestion is slower than glucose simply because fructose is not 100% glucose. Its half fructose and half glucose. So therefore the effect of fructose would be much more slower/weaker than glucose.

However, all these sugars are beneficial for our body except some take longer to digest than others due to its purity.

P.S. Fructose does not rise BG as much as glucose does. Fructose by itself hardly has any effect on Insulin levels.

-Gear

alwayson is offline Associate Member
    what about the issue i raised about glycogen in the thread starter?

Thread Information