LL08 is offline Member

Do Growth plates close at diff times? JB. RB.

Hi this is aimed at the experienced bros. Just a quick question- 1)Do the growth plates in your wrists close at different times than the ones in your face or legs? 2)What order do they close...cheers

LL

supersteve Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LL08
    Hi this is aimed at the experienced bros. Just a quick question- 1)Do the growth plates in your wrists close at different times than the ones in your face or legs? 2)What order do they close...cheers

LL
    I don't consider myself particularly experienced but I've done loads of research on this so I think I can answer.

1) Yes they do
    2) The general theory is that the following is the order: arms, legs then finally the lower back.

And based on this I find it interesting that doctors use the wrist scan to determine is epiphyseal fusion has occured.

I am 20 (as of january), and i've had the bone scans done and luckily my epiphyses are still open - even after just coming off 6 months of accutane.
    But i hit puberty very late, like 3 years later than most. I'm 188cm (6'2) at the moment, but I was supposed to be 195 (6'4 1/2) (they double your height when you turn 2).
    Anyways, I am a little worried I may not get there because i've only grown 2-3cm max over the past 12 months and I feel the accutane probably did some damage to my growth cartilage (as it has shown in studies done on rats). So I have started taking letrozole to ensure my growth doesn't cease just yet, and am very seriously considering both gh and igf-1 injections to make sure i reach my genetic potential.

LL08 is offline Member
    Very interesting thanks supersteve. So where would you recomend I get scans to determine whether or not they are all open or all closed. I had my wrists done and unfortunately mine were closed. I'd like to know if my other epiphyseals are closed also. I'm getting some conflicting views relating to this so if you have decent research please share,, cheers
    LL

supersteve Guest
    I got mine done after i came off accutane because it is known to cause bone damage in some people. I had sore back, knees, wrists etc. even after 6 weeks off it so they scanned all my bones basically and did age and density tests.

I live close to a huge medical centre (im in Aus) and they do it all for free there so i'm lucky in that respect.
    Perhaps go in and complain of sore knees and lower back? Or just be honest and tell that you're thinking of doing GH and want to know if all your epiphyses are closed so you don't cause yourself any damage?

What did u say to the doctor when you to get your wrists done? that you were just curious?

LL08 is offline Member
    Awesome another Aussie bro, good to get in touch with you. I sent you a PM answering your questions but just for the board I said I needed to know for training as my coach was interested. The doc looked suss as, haha. Ah well. Write back to me when you get a chance and welcome, cheers. LL

Thread Information