Mighty is offline Junior Member

Insulin and proper post injection nutrition ?

Hey guys,
    I have a question about the proper post injection nutrition. I appologized if this info is here I have read numerous posts on this over the last few months, and just wanted to be sure.
    Last night post workout I took my first sub-q injection in the abdomen of 5 iu's Humalog. I mixed my shake with 16 oz of apple juice, as it had 48 sugar carbs, and my shake had 7 sugar carbs. I figured 57 sugar carbs with my 5 iu's of slin would have been fine. Although about 30 minutes after my injection I was feeling kinda crappy i.e. slightly dizzy, and starting to sweat badly, so I used my meter, and realized my BGL was 50, so I drank 2 cups of Sprite, about another 50 carbs. I immediately felt better, rechecked my BGL, and it was 72 . That lasted about another 30 - 45 minutes when the sweating started up again, so I rechecked my BGL , and this time it was 34, a little more nervous I polished off the sprite, and rechecked my BGL till it was in the 70-80 range. This went on for the entire active duration of the Humalog, or about 4 hours.
    My question is regarding post injection nutrition, are dextrose carbs somehow different than just sugar carbs ? Before I try slin again, I want to get this worked out.
    I appreciate the help.

Mighty

Thanks alot for the reply RB. I just ordered 2000g of dextrose. When I get that, I'll give it another go at 5 iu and increase from there up to no more than 10 iu's and then start lowering my dextrose intake slightly to find out exactly what my body needs.
    I dont know how I was under the impression that sugar carbs were fine, because after lastnight I know firsthand they definitely were not enough. Glad I had my meter.
    Thanks again.

Mighty

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty
    Hey guys,
    I have a question about the proper post injection nutrition. I appologized if this info is here I have read numerous posts on this over the last few months, and just wanted to be sure.
    Last night post workout I took my first sub-q injection in the abdomen of 5 iu's Humalog. I mixed my shake with 16 oz of apple juice, as it had 48 sugar carbs, and my shake had 7 sugar carbs. I figured 57 sugar carbs with my 5 iu's of slin would have been fine. Although about 30 minutes after my injection I was feeling kinda crappy i.e. slightly dizzy, and starting to sweat badly, so I used my meter, and realized my BGL was 50, so I drank 2 cups of Sprite, about another 50 carbs. I immediately felt better, rechecked my BGL, and it was 72 . That lasted about another 30 - 45 minutes when the sweating started up again, so I rechecked my BGL , and this time it was 34, a little more nervous I polished off the sprite, and rechecked my BGL till it was in the 70-80 range. This went on for the entire active duration of the Humalog, or about 4 hours.
    My question is regarding post injection nutrition, are dextrose carbs somehow different than just sugar carbs ? Before I try slin again, I want to get this worked out.
    I appreciate the help.

Mighty

You were using fructose as your carbohydrates here and thats the problem. Go to your grocery store and buy some corn sugar, this is dextrose, its simple, easy to digest, and effective for your needs.

Lets start from the beginning

You need to inject your Humalog IM into a low body fat area (bi's tri's, quads etc...) Now, injected IM the active period is 2 1/2 hours for your Humalog. IMMEDIATELY after your shot take your dextrose, then wait a few minutes and then ingest your protein, glutamine, and creatine(optional), this should be followed an hour later by a balanced meal that is high in protein medium in carbs and very low in fats (you dont want fats crammed into your muscles)

Remember, you need a FAST acting carb source. Thus you must look to glycemic index:

In the 1970’s, carbohydrates were known as either simple or complex. Foods high in sugar, such as chocolate, fruit or cakes were classed as simple carbohydrates. At the time, scientists thought these foods were quickly digested, leading to a rapid rise in blood sugar. Complex carbohydrates, such as potatoes, rice and pasta were supposed to break down more slowly, producing a gradual rise in blood sugar.

This all changed when Dr. David Jenkins Began working on diabetes patients. He discovered that some complex carbohydrates actually caused a rapid rise in blood sugar. Other foods that were known as simple carbs caused blood sugar to be elevated slowly. Dr. Jenkins’ research led scientists to begin classifying carbohydrates based on their rating on the Glycemic Index.

Foods that digest rapidly lead to a fast release of glucose into your blood stream. These are known as high glycemic index foods. Foods that digest slowly release glucose into your blood gradually, and are known as low Glycemic Index foods

The glycemic index assigns a numerical value to food rich in carbohydrates. The number represents how much and how rapidly 50 grams of its carbohydrate content will raise blood sugar compared to 50 grams of the reference food (glucose a 100 on the GI scale).

The Glycemix index for apple juice is 41 (!!! horrible) while the glycemix index for dextrose (corn sugar) is in the 90's. When viewed in the application of insulin what should you choose? You need a fast acting easy digesting carb source for a fast acting insulin. Dont use insulin again until you've got some dextrose my man. Sorry to write so much but you just did something very dangerous and I want all of my fellow AR members to do things safe. Good luck, keep us posted.

-The Pill

Awesome information, thanks alot Pill.
    As far as the ppwo meal I had a large chicken breast with a small amount of broccoli, and about 2 cups of brown rice.
    I see now where I was confused thinking 50 g of simple carbs was equivalent to 50g dextrose.
    I appreciate the help, thanks bro.

Mighty

UPS dropped off my dextrose today. I did it right tonight, 5iu's Humalog IM , followed by 50 grams of dextrose, followed by my shake.
    I feel great this time around, I had no hypo symptoms, and my bgl stayed right in range.
    Thanks again for the help guys.
    Mighty

superchump is offline Junior Member
    ive done a alot of insulin and have found that the humalog doesnt hit until an hour later. i feel ****y and need carbs over an hour later whether i eat 100 grams imediately afeter the shot or not. i think its best to sip juice or eat small amounts of sugar after the shot and save the carb load for when the insulin peaks

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Use dex for your PWO nutrient intake and keep glucose tabs on you and you should be fine.

-Gear

REM
    REM is offline Member

Deca And Slin..

Has anyone here done such cycle?
    someone can share some information about it that can be helpful to me.
    i did a deca cycle only with excellent results, i like to try slin with it. thanks

Thread Information