Seattle Junk is offline Anabolic Member

Many People are Taking IGF-1 Without Even Knowing It

http://www.mercola.com/2001/aug/22/igf-1.htm

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

My Associate Editor and I had the following letter published on the web site of the Western Journal of Medicine.

It was written in response to a recent Op-Ed piece (West J Med 2001;175:7-9) concerning the use of IGF-1 (insulin -like growth factor-1) by athletes, who use it to enhance their performance. Unfortunately, levels of these growth hormone and insulin mimicking substance are elevated in our milk supply, due to the use of rBGH (also known as rBST) to increase the cow's milk production.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Joseph Mercola, DO and Cory Mermer

Adams does an excellent job of discussing the dangers of the exogenous IGF-1, and properly cautions against its use, citing both lack of efficacy and potential adverse effects, such as disruption of the insulin system and carcinogenesis.

However, it is worth noting that much of the US population are unknowingly consuming higher levels of IGF-1 than previously and may face the same elevated risks, since it has been shown that milk from cow's treated with rBGH (Posilac) have significantly elevated IGF-1 levels. Measuring these levels has even been proposed as a basis by which to test for the use of rBGH (1).

In addition, the IGF-1 in the milk of rBGH treated cows is potentially more bioactive than the naturally occurring form and may be increased further by pasteurization (2).

While Adams notes the lack of significant effects of IGF-1 administration in elderly subjects, this certainly does not mean that this would be true for children, who may be at an increased risk of adverse effects.

Children's rapid growth rate may predispose them to be more susceptible to IGF-1. In addition, children's intestines, particularly infants, are naturally more permeable than adults, which could allow greater absorption of the large IGF-1 peptide...............

Ha! This is saying there is free IGF1 in milk....Drink up!

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    So it doesn't break down in the digestive system?

Beside we don't use IGF-1, we use LR3 IGF-1 there's a big difference

JohnnyB

milk. it does a body good.

Slic4788 is offline Associate Member
    lol mercola....that guy

Milk doesn't contain enough igf to be anabolic ...probably very very minute amounts.

Teegunn is offline Banned
    Milk sure does my digestive system no good.

Seattle Junk is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB
    So it doesn't break down in the digestive system?

Beside we don't use IGF-1, we use LR3 IGF-1 there's a big difference

JohnnyB
    I wish it was true...

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    It's another false article. Headlines read "Eating cheeseburgers can help burn fat" How can they run this, milk products and beef have CLA in them, grain feed beef has more, which in studies have shown to help with fat loss. The problem is there's not enough cla in that cheese on the burger to burn the fat that's in the beef and cheese of that cheeseburger.

Sure there's IGF-1 in that milk, but once you drink it, it's not going to make to your muscles for growth.

JohnnyB

Monte Brogan is offline Junior Member
    "Adams does an excellent job of discussing the dangers of the exogenous IGF-1, and properly cautions against its use, citing both lack of efficacy and potential adverse effects, such as disruption of the insulin system and carcinogenesis."

Carcinogenesis = A cancer-causing substance or agent.

This statement is what concerns me most about IGF-1. So much is unknown at this point and I think we need to proceed cautiously (i.e. moderation in cycles).

Thread Information