IronFreakX is offline Banned

Long acting slin...Is it better?

Well it doesnt make sense to me to use short acting slin....If we use one that lasts for say 5-6 hours(insulin apart-the novorapid slin pens which I am currently using) the slin is elevated for longer so basically you get more nutrients in

Ideas?

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    Well it doesnt make sense to me to use short acting slin....If we use one that lasts for say 5-6 hours(insulin apart-the novorapid slin pens which I am currently using) the slin is elevated for longer so basically you get more nutrients in

Ideas?
    Long acting slin is recommended for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    Long acting slin is recommended for sure.
    Kool bro thats what I use , But in the sticky its suggested that you use fast acting....

Just curious why , other than the fact that you have to be careful the 6 hours the slin is active which is no problem....Im pretty sure there isnt another reason

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    IFX, I have always used fast acting (Humulin R), simply b/c I fear going into hypoglycemia. I know exactly how my body reacts to the fast acting insulin (when to eat etc.), but I have no doubt that more nutrient uptake is viable through the longer lasting slin.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sozey
    IFX, I have always used fast acting (Humulin R), simply b/c I fear going into hypoglycemia. I know exactly how my body reacts to the fast acting insulin (when to eat etc.), but I have no doubt that more nutrient uptake is viable through the longer lasting slin.
    Yeah , It just hit me while I was walking back home...I get Ideas like that outta nowhere.....

If BG is measured . and one has time to eat , not exercise or move , etc....then I think that long acting slin is better than short acting....

Yeah , It just hit me while I was walking back home...I get Ideas like that outta nowhere.....

If BG is measured . and one has time to eat , not exercise or move , etc....then I think that long acting slin is better than short acting....
    Definitely. I'm just a puzz

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sozey
    IFX, I have always used fast acting (Humulin R),

Hey Keyser Isn't Humulin-R a longer lasting and Humalog a shorter???

Humulin-R is active within 30-60 minutes and peaks in about 2hours and is active for about 6-7 hours

Humalog is active within 30 minutes and peaks in about an hour and is active for I'd say 4 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhova16
    Humalog is active within 30 minutes and peaks in about an hour and is active for I'd say 4 hours.
    Humalog is faster than Humulin-R, but I can't get it otc w/out a script...I would use humalog if I could.
    Humulin-R is active within 30-60 minutes and peaks in about 2hours and is active for about 6-7 hours
    I take the Humulin-R pwo, then have my whey and dex. Two hours later another p/c (50p/50c) meal, and again at the six hour mark.
    Last edited by Keyser Sozey; 11-06-2005 at 06:16 PM.

TexasFitnessGirl is offline Female Member
    There are three types of non-prescription insulin . Short-acting, “regular” insulin which is mostly used, commonly known as Humulin-R, also Actrapid, Insulin Neutral, Humulin R, Hypurin Neutral). These slower acting insulins effect Blood Glucose levels to a lesser degree and are generally considered to be safer than longer acting insulin. Then there is an intermediate form (Humulin-N or Humulin-L) which can last almost three times as long, which means up to a day. And lastly there is the Humulin-U, which stays active for longer. Particularly useful for diabetics who may forget their shots, as it stays active longer than a day. There is the fast-acting form called Humalog, this type is only available via prescription in the US. Most bodybuilders prefer the fast acting insulin such as Humalog because of the rapid onset. The quick action of the insulin is important because muscles posses a short window of recovery, and in regards to muscle growth - rapid nutrient disbursement is crucial. There are also mixtures of short and fast acting insulin but for non-diabetics the mixed types are not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron
    Bodybuilders using insulin for anything other than the post workout recharge of muscle glycogen are going to end up with that same battle.

First of all great post as always RB. Secondly, if this is true then why do most people inject Slin more then once a day??? I"m assuming in the AM b/c we are most catabolic and some slin would take us right out of it. But I've heard of people taking in a few times a day.

I heard, from a very reliable source, that some BB'ers take it a few times a day when cycled. So if one takes it (humalog) at let's say 8am and is active until about Noon. Then takes its with another meal at 1pm then again PWO at 6pm. Do you think that they will have a battle with excessive fat storage? Or if planned out correctly can a scenario as such really help shuttle all those nutrients in a much more appropriate fashion?

The reason I ask is b/c when I cycle mine I use a small amount of Log (4-5iu) upon awakening then 10iu PWO. I was contemplating using it 3 times a day but am researching a bit more. Any info that you provide will be greatly appreciated and used in my future decisions.

Thanks buddy.

-Jay

rodge is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    i know of some bbérs that shoot humalog 4 times a day but they also shoot hgh with it. this way your igf levels will raise for sure but i don't think its worth the risk tho,maybe if your a pro but not for us amateurs.

-rodge

oswaldosalcedo is offline Senior Member

Ideas?
    you reasoning is erroneous, because you can shot 4 times humalog and get a lot of nutrients too.
    the reason, is more a cautious measure than an optimal option.
    you can control best 1-2 hours glucose levels than 12-24 hours.

i use humalog, but i can use any slin,lantus,levemir,apidra,novolog,humulin r,humulin n and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron
    Hope some of this helps.

Everything I have read that you say, always does. Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by rodge nl.
    ,maybe if your a pro but not for us amateurs.

-rodge

You're an amateur Rodge??? I would have never thought

Great info On IGF Levels, makes total sense

vinny_vegas is offline New Member

I am a diabetic and i can tell you that if you don't need to use Humulin N (long acting) don't use it. In general terms, it's a very inconsistent type of insulin . It often takes hours for it to build up before it starts to function. Humulog on the other hand does work in about 30 minutes and lasts in your system for about 4 hours, and it works with much more consistency than the Humulin N. As for Humolog R, i can't comment because i haven't used it.

yes i use humalog.
    you can control it better.

jerseyboy is offline Anabolic Member
    i know of some bbérs that shoot humalog 4 times a day but they also shoot hgh with it. this way your igf levels will raise for sure but i don't think its worth the risk tho,maybe if your a pro but not for us amateurs.

-rodge
    I tried running 10 iu's in the morning to fight off some catabolism and gain a couple pounds. I can tell you one thing, it is much easier to go hypo in the morning.

soon, i will switch to novolog.
    i use first thing in the morning also and pwo (sometimes bwo,iwo also).
    Last edited by oswaldosalcedo; 11-20-2005 at 03:56 PM.

goose is offline Banned

-rodge

What type of slin do you use?I hear you cant get humalog in Holland.

goose4.........

Quote Originally Posted by goose4
    I hear you cant get humalog in Holland.

goose4.........

You should know by now Mr. Goose that anything is possible. I'm sure it's hard, but possible. Obviously I'm not the person to answer that one.

goose is offline Banned
    You should know by now Mr. Goose that anything is possible. I'm sure it's hard, but possible. Obviously I'm not the person to answer that one.

True,but I think you have to fly the slin in,from another country.I`m not to sure whether the slin will be ok,when you get it.It`s not easy like your country!!!

goose4....

bazerk is offline Associate Member
    I am a type I diabetic also, I use Humalog and Lantus. Humalog is the best because now we are allowed to eat at the times we want and just cover the carbs we intake. EX. I use 5iu per 15 grams of carbs where before with hum**** it was scheldue eating and if you missed a meal it sux having a hypo-reaction. To comment on slin using in the morning, everyone has a slin spike at around 4 a.m. or so and unless you've eaten 7 candybars before going to bed you should wake up with some very good blood sugar levels70 to 90. Just be careful and monitor yourself. Your pancreas releases slin in the manner it does for a reason to much or to little slin and your body will let you know and most of the reactions are no fun.

goose is offline Banned
    Great posts REDBARON.Would be great if you could expand on being dependant on insulin if you have poor genes,is this common?

Also another topic if you don`t mind, how effective is Interleukin-15 ? Have you used this? Or know of any people that have? Cheers

goose4......

Thread Information