Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2004 Apr 15;113(2):209-13.
Metformin therapy increases insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1 in hyperinsulinemic women with polycystic ovary syndrome.

Pawelczyk L, Spaczynski RZ, Banaszewska B, Duleba AJ.

Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Karol Marcinkowski University of Medical Sciences, ul. Polna 33, 60-535 Poznan, Poland. [email protected]

OBJECTIVES: Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is associated with hyperandrogenism, insulin resistance, compensatory hyperinsulinemia, and increased levels of free insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), presumably due to a decline in IGF binding protein 1 (IGFBP-1). This study was designed to evaluate effects of metformin therapy on serum levels of IGFBP-1 and IGF-I. STUDY DESIGN: Twenty-seven obese, hyperandrogenic PCOS women with elevated fasting insulin were treated for 12 weeks with metformin (500 mg p.o., t.i.d.). Serum levels of insulin, testosterone , sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), IGF-I, and IGFBP-1 were measured before and after treatment. Body mass index (BMI) and waist-to-hip ratio (WHR) were assessed at baseline and at the end of therapy. RESULTS: Metformin therapy significantly increased IGFBP-1 concentration by 38% (P = 0.05) but had no demonstrable effect on the total IGF-I levels. Fasting insulin levels declined by 38% (P = 0.0001) while the glucose/insulin ratio increased by 72% (P = 0.0001) and quantitative insulin sensitivity check index (QUICKI) increased by 8% (P = 0.0001). Metformin treatment also significantly decreased testosterone (by 37%, P = 0.0001) and increased SHBG concentration (by 16%, P = 0.04). Multiple linear regression analysis revealed that baseline IGFBP-1 levels correlated inversely and independently with two baseline parameters: WHR (P = 0.003) and free testosterone index (P = 0.04). CONCLUSIONS: The present study shows that metformin therapy not only restores normal levels of insulin and testosterone, but also decreases the pool of free-bioactive IGF-I by increasing the levels of circulating IGFBP-1. We provide further arguments in favor of metformin therapy in hyperinsulinemic women with PCOS.