AnabolicAndre is offline Anabolic Member

Igf And Human Studies!

Maybe I'm missing something, but why don't one of the many people who have given LR3 a run (or ten) Do it under the supervision of a medical research institute?

Other than the sacrifice he/she would make with all the bloodwork and tests they'd have to do, It seems feasible.

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Tell me one research institution that would do that.

Of what scientific value would the medical community gain from such a study?

Is/has LR3 IGF-1 been deemed of medical value?

Get my driftttttttttttttttttt?

Also,do you realize the liability an institution would take on performing such a study?

Do you realize ONE person isn't enough to have any substantial/conclusive results?

You do realize LR3 IGF-1 was not created for human use,right? It was developed for cell cultures only.

Never occured to me the liability aspect, but it seems like wasting-away diseases like aids, cancer, ect. might benifit.

Well take GH for example, no one woke up one morning and was like "shit this stuff must be ok for humans" it had to start somewhere. Same thing with IGF.

Thats the thing with medical sciences, that keeps me interested and wanting to continue with school, there is alway more to learn.

Thanks Pinn. for pointing out the obvious brother.

Emory University and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Decatur, Georgia 30033, USA.

IGF-I, a ubiquitous polypeptide, plays a key role in longitudinal bone growth and acquisition. The most predominant effect of skeletal IGF-I is acceleration of the differentiation program for osteoblasts. However, in vivo studies using recombinant human (rh) IGF-I and/or rhGH have demonstrated stimulation of both bone formation and resorption, thereby potentially limiting the usefulness of these peptides in the treatment of osteoporosis. In this study, we hypothesized that IGF-I modulates bone resorption by regulating expression of osteoprotegerin (OPG) and receptor activator of nuclear factor-kappaB (RANK) ligand (RANKL) in bone cells. Using Northern analysis in ST2 cells, we found that human IGF-I suppressed OPG mRNA in a time- and dose-dependent manner: 100 micro g/LIGF-I (13 nM) decreased OPG expression by 37.0 +/- 1.8% (P < 0.002). The half maximal inhibitory dose of IGF-I was reached at 50 micro g/liter ( approximately 6.5 nM) with no effect of IGF-I on OPG message stability. Conditioned media from ST2 cells confirmed that IGF-I decreased secreted OPG, reducing levels by 42%, from 12.1-7 ng/ml at 48 h (P < 0.05). Similarly, IGF-I at 100 micro g/liter (13 nM) increased RANKL mRNA expression to 353 +/- 74% above untreated cells as assessed by real-time PCR. In vivo, low doses of rhGH when administered to elderly postmenopausal women only modestly raised serum IGF-I (to concentrations of 18-26 nM) and did not affect circulating OPG concentrations; however, administration of rhIGF-I (30 micro g/kg.d) for 1 yr to older women resulted in a significant increase in serum IGF-I (to concentrations of 39-45 nM) and a 20% reduction in serum OPG (P < 0.05). In summary, we conclude that IGF-I in a dose- and time-dependent manner regulates OPG and RANKL in vitro and in vivo. These data suggest IGF-I may act as a coupling factor in bone remodeling by activating both bone formation and bone resorption; the latter effect appears to be mediated through the OPG/RANKL system in bone.

PMID: 12213884 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

OK one study that deems it could be used for treatment of osteoperosis.

Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicAndre
    Never occured to me the liability aspect, but it seems like wasting-away diseases like aids, cancer, ect. might benifit.

Well take GH for example, no one woke up one morning and was like "shit this stuff must be ok for humans" it had to start somewhere. Same thing with IGF.

Thats the thing with medical sciences, that keeps me interested and wanting to continue with school, there is alway more to learn.

Thanks Pinn. for pointing out the obvious brother.
    IGF is being used for medical purposes.But like I said above,LR3 was designed for cell culture experiments.So I doubt you'll see any human experiments any time soon,if even ever.

HGH is a natural hormone in humans,so it wasn't a guessing game to come to any conclusions.What needed to be done was make a synthetic version of it.Same with rIGF-1.

I found another study that shows it is helpful in the transcription protiens that induce C-AMP. So making it a helpful aspect in the kreb's cycle, promoting muscle energy, and thus potentially beneficial to wasting disease.

But regardless these are just one of the few, cause believe it or not ENDOCRINOLOGISTS seem to be facinated by IGF capabilities. In my opinion sciences and the medical community would definitly benifit from human research.

ahhhh right LR3, once again with oversights. Well hopefully soon science will see the potential this drug may have.

I'll shut up now as I'm just making myself look dumber.

thanks again Pinn.

I found another study that shows it is helpful in the transcription protiens that induce C-AMP. So making it a helpful aspect in the kreb's cycle, promoting muscle energy, and thus potentially beneficial to wasting disease.

But regardless these are just one of the few, cause believe it or not ENDOCRINOLOGISTS seem to be facinated by IGF capabilities. In my opinion sciences and the medical community would definitely benefit from human research.
    You know that IGF-1 is being used as of right now in children with growth disorders ect?You'll find quite a few studies on IGF-1 with humans now.That is somewhat old news.But to reiterate,you won't,nor will you ever find studies on LR3 as it was not designed for humans,nor does it have any value to humans.It's strictly for cell culture studies to have a prolonged life in the experiment.

NewBreed is offline Associate Member
    Wasn&#180;t it discussed as a slin-substitution, but then dismissed for IGFs role in brestcancer in women?

Don&#180;t know, wether you&#180;ll find studies on something that&#180;s been completely dismissed or not.

Can&#180;t find much on Dexedrine, LSD, Diamorphine, etc. either.

Triposinator is offline Associate Member
    May I'm missing something, but why don't YOU go ahead and do this yourself?

Maybe I'm missing something, but why don't one of the many people who have given LR3 a run (or ten) Do it under the supervision of a medical research institute?

Other than the sacrifice he/she would make with all the bloodwork and tests they'd have to do, It seems feasible.

YOu dont want the medical community to pay attention to our igf. Cause when it does its getting scheduled, patented, and you wont be able to afford it if you the the price is crazy now.

Deal Me In is offline Member
    Red Baron, I don't pretend to be that knowledgeable about IGF-1 but why would they give that to kids instead of GH. If I read it correctly you were talking about IGF-1 and not LR3. Wouldn't GH be more practical for children (again I assume we are talking about short stature children.)

I'm just curious. I agree with Pinn that lab companies aren't going to research IGF-1 because there is no money on the back end. No company can justify the R & D money just to sell it to short children and body builders.

I just don't understand why GH isn't a better compound for children?

Thanks for your time.

Here is one release statement. It does a pretty decent job at defining the target audience. I am quite sure HGH will be in the picture for a great number of children still. IGF-1 will just extend assistance to an even broader audience.

BRISBANE, Calif., Aug. 31 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Tercica, Inc. (Nasdaq: TRCA - News) announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Increlex™ (mecasermin [rDNA origin] injection) for the long-term treatment of growth failure in children with severe primary IGF-1 deficiency (Primary IGFD) or with growth hormone (GH) gene deletion who have developed neutralizing antibodies to growth hormone. The FDA also designated Increlex as an orphan drug for severe Primary IGFD.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Insulin -like growth factor-1, or IGF-1, is the direct mediator of growth hormone's effect on statural growth and must be present in order for children's bones, cartilage, and organs to grow normally. Severe Primary IGFD is a growth hormone-resistant state characterized by abnormally low blood IGF-1 levels in the presence of normal or elevated growth hormone, which afflicts approximately 6,000 children in the U.S.

"We believe that no child should suffer from a preventable or treatable disorder," said Mary Andrews, Chairman and Founder of the MAGIC Foundation, a non-profit organization that supports the families of children with growth problems. "With today's FDA approval, we are happy to know that there is a new treatment option for children suffering from short stature caused by severe Primary IGFD."

"We are pleased Increlex was approved within the six-month priority review timeline, making Increlex the only therapy indicated to treat children with severe Primary IGFD," said John A. Scarlett, M.D., President and Chief Executive Officer of Tercica. "Today, Increlex becomes Tercica's first commercial drug and represents the first major innovation in the treatment of short stature since recombinant growth hormone was approved 20 years ago -- an advance that we believe will change the way physicians diagnose and treat patients with growth failure due to severe Primary IGFD."

"For more than 30 years, growth hormone has been the only treatment option endocrinologists have had for children with short stature due to hormonal deficiency," said Philippe Backeljauw, M.D., Division of Endocrinology, Cincinnati Children's Hospital and a co-investigator in the Phase III trial conducted for Increlex. "The availability of Increlex will enable physicians to offer a more specific treatment for children whose growth failure is linked to abnormally low blood IGF-1 levels."

The active ingredient of Increlex is identical to the natural hormone, IGF-1, which the body produces in response to stimulation by growth hormone. Without adequate IGF-1, children cannot achieve height within the normal range. Tercica acquired exclusive rights to develop, commercialize and manufacture Increlex from Genentech, Inc.

Ross Clark, Ph.D., Founder and Chief Technical Officer of Tercica, said, "This product approval is the culmination of more than two decades of research and development at Genentech. We would like to acknowledge the collective efforts of our clinical investigators, our collaborators, and our partner Genentech. Their contributions have helped bring this new drug to pediatric endocrinologists and to the children and families affected by this disorder."

About Severe Primary IGFD

Children with severe Primary IGFD have height and serum IGF-1 levels that are more than three standard deviations below normal. They are not growth hormone deficient, and, because they are resistant to the effects of growth hormone, they cannot be expected to respond adequately to growth hormone therapy. In both children and adults, severe Primary IGFD can lead to a range of other metabolic disorders including lipid abnormalities, decreased bone density, obesity and insulin resistance.

"IGF-1 has proven to be the most critical factor in the growth of children," said Ron Rosenfeld, M.D., Senior Vice President of Medical Affairs, Lucille Packard Foundation for Children's Health and Professor of Pediatrics, Stanford University. "For many years, we believed that growth was largely regulated by the production of growth hormone from the pituitary gland. We now know that while growth hormone is critical, it is IGF-1 that is the primary mediator of growth."

About the Increlex Trials

The FDA's approval of Increlex is based on clinical trial data from 71 patients. Data reported at the 2004 Annual Meeting of the Endocrine Society demonstrated a statistically significant increase (p<0.001) in growth rate over an eight-year period in response to therapy. Compared to pre-treatment growth patterns, on average, children gained an additional inch per year for each year of therapy over the course of eight years. In addition, an analysis of safety concluded that long-term treatment with Increlex appears to be well tolerated and has an acceptable safety profile. The most common adverse events were hypoglycemia, lipohypertrophy and tonsillar hypertrophy. Side effects were generally mild to moderate in nature, and no patients withdrew from the study as a result of them.

Conference Call and Webcast Information

John A. Scarlett, M.D., the Company's President and Chief Executive Officer and other members of Tercica's senior management team will host a conference call today at 8:30 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time. To access the live teleconference, dial 1-800-988-0482 (U.S.) or 1-210-839-8116 (international), and reference the pass code "Tercica." The webcast can be accessed at www.tercica.com. A replay of the webcast and teleconference will be available approximately one hour after the conclusion of the call for 10 business days. To access the replay, please call 1-888-568-0874 (U.S.) or 1-402-998-1553 (international).

Thread Information