boxer08 is offline Senior Member

Night shift work effect on natural HGH

I work night sifts 3 -4 days out of the week, don't get to eat any food during the 7 hours i work and get in at 7AM so i don't end up getting asleep till 7:30 - 8:00Am I'm still getting around 6 hours sleep would my body still produce the same amounts of Hgh naturally with this pattern. I am also using a low dose hgh which i have to use different times of the week because of work.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    If the answer is "yes", are you going to quit your job?

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    so, out of 24 hours in a day, you only get to eat for 11 of those hours?

8 hours of sleep is preferable, but 6 is still good, as long as you are sleeping deep and not tossing and turning.

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    I think (not an expert on this, but I have read a couple of articles in passing) that people who work shift work have their diurnal rhythms that are approximately shifted along with their day. In other words, where most men have their peak testosterone at approx 8 am, yours would be at the time you wake. I expect it would be similar with GH, although I expect that with all things involving shift work, your hormone production may not be optimal, because you are working against the natural light cues that influence your system.

There's a lot of evidence that shift work is bad for you - all the artificial light and lack of natural light. I think some EU countries require shift workers to be paid more due to increased health risks. So if you can find a way to work normal hours, that would probably be a good long-term move.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thisAngelBites View Post
    I think (not an expert on this, but I have read a couple of articles in passing) that people who work shift work have their diurnal rhythms that are approximately shifted along with their day. In other words, where most men have their peak testosterone at approx 8 am, yours would be at the time you wake. I expect it would be similar with GH, although I expect that with all things involving shift work, your hormone production may not be optimal, because you are working against the natural light cues that influence your system.

There's a lot of evidence that shift work is bad for you - all the artificial light and lack of natural light. I think some EU countries require shift workers to be paid more due to increased health risks. So if you can find a way to work normal hours, that would probably be a good long-term move.
    even worse than shift work is ROTATING shift work! blokes on rotating shifts seem to be walking zombies most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    If the answer is "yes", are you going to quit your job?
    Not yet looking for a change anyway though.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04 View Post
    so, out of 24 hours in a day, you only get to eat for 11 of those hours?

8 hours of sleep is preferable, but 6 is still good, as long as you are sleeping deep and not tossing and turning.
    Correct 3 -4 days a week mainly 3. The sleep i do get i don't wake unless i need the toilet.

Shame this country wouldn't increase the pay for us that do shift work. Im currently looking for a job with normal hours, i hate this pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    even worse than shift work is ROTATING shift work! blokes on rotating shifts seem to be walking zombies most of the time
    I have also done this work in the past and totally agree with the walking zombie part. One week i was only sleeping for 2 - 2.5 hours sleep a night for the 5 days...i was like something out of shaun of the dead

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boxer08 View Post
    I have also done this work in the past and totally agree with the walking zombie part. One week i was only sleeping for 2 - 2.5 hours sleep a night for the 5 days...i was like something out of shaun of the dead
    sleep deprivation has a significant impact on quality of time spent in the gym, ability to grow, ability to eat...........

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    sleep deprivation has a significant impact on quality of time spent in the gym, ability to grow, ability to eat...........
    It's more than just sleep deprivation. There is a lot of concern that upset circadian rhythms decrease production of melatonin and other antioxidants, and lead to increased rates of cancer. The link is strongest to breast cancer (I think because the studies are often done on nurses) but there is developing concern for colorectal and prostate cancer.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/707460

Good luck to you in your job search, boxer08.

Docd187123 is offline Banned

If a testosterone value is found to be low, it is important to determine the time that the sample was obtained. Serum testosterone levels follow a diurnal rhythm, at least in younger men, with values near 8 AM being, on average, 30% higher than the trough levels later in the day.5–7 The timing of the diurnal variation may be different in night-shift workers, who may require assessment at a more appropriate time of the day (ie, upon awakening).
    Male hypogonadism: More than just a low testosterone

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Sleep is over rated, I always say Ill sleep when I die... May be sooner than later since I also work nights. 8pm - 8am 3 days one week 4 the next week. Although it's not rotating work I still rotate because on my days off I switch to day schedule.

I routinely go 24 hrs with no sleep and even 48 at least 1x a month.

Up until recently I was only getting 4hrs of sleep at a time, usually no more than 2hrs without having to get up and then try to go back to bed. The last couple of months I have been getting 6-8hrs uninterrupted. Found out I have fibromyalgia .

Luckily my job does pay extra for working nights and I carry plenty of life insurance so the wife and kid will be compensated just in case.

Why cant you eat good while at work? I eat better at work than I do at home on my days off. I have food on my desk 24/7. Nice thing about working nights is no management and fewer people.

I dont see a problem with taking the hgh at different times.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Sleep is over rated, I always say Ill sleep when I die... May be sooner than later since I also work nights. 8pm - 8am 3 days one week 4 the next week. Although it's not rotating work I still rotate because on my days off I switch to day schedule.

Up until recently I was only getting 4hrs of sleep at a time, usually no more than 2hrs without having to get up and then try to go back to bed. The last couple of months I have been getting 6-8hrs uninterrupted. Found out I have fibromyalgia .

Luckily my job does pay extra for working nights and I carry plenty of life insurance so the wife and kid will be compensated just in case.

Why cant you eat good while at work? I eat better at work than I do at home on my days off. I have food on my desk 24/7. Nice thing about working nights is no management and fewer people.

I used to say the same thing about sleep lol. Sleep is for the dead! Now for the last several years sleep has been a problematic issue for me as I either will not be able to fall asleep or wake up multiple times throughout the night. Suffice to say my mind changed on it's importance and my body is constantly run down bc of it. For reference I average about 3-4hrs of sleep a night. A good night is when I sleep for 6+ and wake up less than a couple times. A bad night is me tossing and turning for 7hrs before finally saying fukk it and get up for work without actually having slept a wink.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post

I work in a night club so i don't get to sit around and eat and as for people there's over 300 in the place on a quiet night lol

Anonona is offline Junior Member
    It's more than just sleep deprivation. There is a lot of concern that upset circadian rhythms decrease production of melatonin and other antioxidants, and lead to increased rates of cancer. The link is strongest to breast cancer (I think because the studies are often done on nurses) but there is developing concern for colorectal and prostate cancer.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/707460

Good luck to you in your job search, boxer08.
    Plus mental health issues etc. You can use a light box (10,000 lux as used for SAD) for 15-30minutes upon waking to try and set your rhythms although this is of lesser value to someone on rotating shifts. If trying a light box, try setting the timer for 5 minutes before your alarm.

Thread Information