Rtr16 is offline New Member

Insulin carb intake

Im about to try insulin for the first time. I've been reading everything I can on the subject. The one thing I can't quite understand is the carb to insulin ratio. I understand 10 grams of carbs per 1 unit but does that mean if I take 5 units I need to eat 50 grams of carbs with every meal or 50 grams in my meal after my shot? If one of you could help me understand it would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Rtr16; 06-30-2021 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Misspelled a word

Huher is offline Associate Member
    Yes, that means if you shoot 5 units, you need to eat 5x10g=50g carbs, but 10g of carbs/iu is way too much imo, you would just get fat. I was totally fine with 2.5-3g sugar/iu (+complex ch). But that's with rapid/short slin.
    I recommend to start with 10g/iu and slowly taper down day by day with 0.5g/iu, until you find your sweet spot when you don't get fat, but don't go hypo either.

My protocol was 5iu pre 10iu post workout, had an intra workout shake with bcaas, glutamine, creatine and 15g sugar, then a post wo shake with bcaa, glutamine, creatine, whey hydro, 15g sugar and 40g carbs from oats.

Thread Information