Black is offline Anabolic Member

Leg injury (vastus lateralis)

I've been experiencing pain on my right leg. It starts a few inches below my hip and runs down the outside of quad to the middle of my thigh. I only feel the pain when performing free weight squats. It doesn't hurt if I do machine squats, hack squats, leg presses or leg extensions.

Should I rest legs for a few weeks or just avoid free weight squats for a little bit?

goodlifting is offline Associate Member
    if you don't already, start foam rolling. i suspect you have extremely tight IT bands so focus on those. aggressively roll your IT, hips, buttocks,
    and the rest of your quad. make sure you are thoroughly warmed up and stretched as well.

Black is offline Anabolic Member
    I try to really warm up my hips before I squat. However, I'm not sure what IT bands are, or know much about foam rolling. Definitely going to google those. Thanks man.

EDIT: Just googled it, and I think you are spot on. Going to get a foam roller and try that out.

Also, I've always avoided those adductor and abductor machines, for whatever reason. Would warming up a couple sets of those help with my hips you think?
    Last edited by Black; 06-12-2011 at 06:34 AM.

Thread Information