venomm is offline Associate Member

Tendonitis of the elbow(Golfer's Elbow) help

Hi, I developed tendonitis of the elbow and golfer's elbow. Went to the doc and he gave me some gel to rub it on plus the R.I.C.E treatment. Its been 2 weeks but only notice little difference and so going to see the doc again as he said next step will be the cortisone shot.
    Didn't train for 2 weeks and went today but cant do any tricep exercise at all.
    What are other treatments i can so in order to heal fully?
    While browsing other members threads ive seen some members try to cure it using Steroids ? How effective is that and is it a temperorary fix?
    The excercise that cause it is Skull Crusher(for sure).
    Should i do the exercises where i dont feel no pain in my elbow while doing them or totally Rest from weights?
    Any suggestions and experirence from fellow members will help.

Victor

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    None, steroids wont help you at all, really. Sorry. The steroids they are talking about that will/maybe help are as mention cortisone shots but be careful they dont do more than 3 or it can hurt the tendons. Use the ice on it a lot. 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off 5+ time in a row ever day for a while. One of the jells that works for my shoulder a lot is DMSO. You can find it at most local health food stores like Super supplements It comes in jell and liquid. Jell with Aloe is good.

Yeah rest from the weight or anything that hurts. If you do weights stick with very light for a few weeks.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It's a slow heal for that particular type of tendonitis, I was out for 3-4 months.

Reverse stretches, keep it warm and still at night to increase blood flow.

RICE is for new injuries, don't bother with it unless you have aggravated it

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Agreed with above, I was thinking it was new or aggravated.

Its new for me but i think i aggravated it because i play basball too and pitch with the same arm. I find icing it help alot.im stickin with light weights for now.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    Golfer's elbow is a lot more difficult to get rid of than tennis elbow. I have had both! I tried all sorts of things for the golfer's elbow, including giving myself cortosone injections, having my whole arm in a cast for a month! I ended up having a muscle release operation where they opened up my elbow, cut the muscle and scraped the calcifications off the tendon. It took a few years to get back into the gym properly.

Let's hope yours will respond better to treatment than mine did!!

Paulzane..lets hope mine aint that bad and respond better...today i did some back exercises with light weights and won't feel it but forsure precaution with treatment hopefully get me through it.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by venomm View Post
    Its new for me but i think i aggravated it because i play basball too and pitch with the same arm. I find icing it help alot.im stickin with light weights for now.
    It will not heal unless all direct pressure is off.....means no light weights or baseball. You can still do legs.

If you get it early, it will heal faster.

brad1986 is offline Senior Member
    Take a week off of it then do light wt high rep exercises for forearms and triceps. These are what need to be strenghten for this injury to be rehabed and not reoccur. Grabbing a wrench in hand and just pronating and supinating your hand will help with forearm and wrist rotators alot. In the mean time give it a rest

brad1986 is offline Senior Member
    Definitly stop pitching and batting asap dude unless baseball is making you money

So my doc send me for the x-ray and will get the results on monday..hoping nothing serious.

X-ray will be next to useless. You will probably need a MRI. I had an MRI before my surgery and I brought it for my surgeon to use.... he said that he didn't need it as he would just see what it was like when he opened me up and would do what he had to !! LOL

Surgery...is it expensive? lol....that just sound scary...i hope i won't need one...lets hope.

Surgery is obviously a last resort solution! I had mine done in th UK, privately, so cost is irrevelent to you Yanks .... lol. I do think that throwing / pitching a ball has a lot to do with your problem though.

optionsdude is offline Member
    I agree with the rest, time off and ice the hell out of it. You can also use the band-it after you rest it and start out with light weight. You might also try the theraband flexbar. Start off with the light one. I like it because you can take it anywhere.

nolva250 is offline Junior Member
    Will ice help only just after the injury or should I use ice after going 3 weeks with bad tendon

Ok so the doc put me on inflamation tablets and the pain is gone from elbow joint tendonitis but the golfer elbow is still there(inside pain)....resting and icing it completely.

Cagerat is offline New Member
    I had this my freshman year from pitching too much, the way I treated it was by stretching and RICE, which I assume the doctor went through. It will take along time to recover. After the pain is GONE use a LIGHT DB and do wrist curls, but as you curl up start rotating in as well. The worst part about this is that it is easy to get again, almost every year of my baseball career the tendonitis came back, I had to be moved to first base because of it. Don't make the same mistake I made, make sure that after your elbow recovers you listen to your body so it doesnt happen again.

Thread Information