Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mp859
  • 1 Post By Fordfan01
  • 1 Post By NACH3

Thread: Shoulder surgery questions

(Cock-Diesel) is offline Junior Member

Shoulder surgery questions

Got a question for anyone who has ever had surgery to repair a SLAP tear. My initial injury happened years ago and I've dealt with it this long with no surgery. At this point, I've got a SLAP tear, Bankert tear and torn rotator cuffs all the way around. This might sound hard to believe but after years and years, it doesn't really give me any trouble at all. It's just as strong as it's ever been and I can lift with no issues whatsoever, even doing bench press and overhead presses and stuff. My question is, if I get this surgery to repair it, will it go back to being as strong as it is now or will it never be the same again? Is the surgery really worth it?

Mp859 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If it doesn't cause you an issue then why get surgery? I had a rotator cuff tear something with my bursa sack I don't remember exactly and a small chunk of bone floating around. I had reoccurring dislocations happening so I got surgery. Ever since it has been slightly weaker than my other side and it is harder for me to build that side of my body as well. Range of motion was there until surgery and now it sucks and that was with PT.
    NACH3 likes this.

Its something I'm going to have to get sooner or later. The labrum won't repair itself without surgery. I'm guessing I've just built enough muscle in that shoulder over the years to make it a non factor at this point but I still get paranoid when I bench or do anything real heavy that it could pop out of the socket at any given time.

Fordfan01 is offline Member
    You're right, eventually you will have to have surgery, but I would recommend waiting until your body forces you to do so. I've seen in more patients than not that the end up requiring additional surgeries once they have the first once done and the joint/ligaments/tendons are never the same again. Now on the other hand you could have a devastating injury by avoiding the surgery and never lift again, but I would say there's a very small chance of that. Hope this helps!

The content of this post is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this post.
    NACH3 likes this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by (Cock-Diesel) View Post
    Got a question for anyone who has ever had surgery to repair a SLAP tear. My initial injury happened years ago and I've dealt with it this long with no surgery. At this point, I've got a SLAP tear, Bankert tear and torn rotator cuffs all the way around. This might sound hard to believe but after years and years, it doesn't really give me any trouble at all. It's just as strong as it's ever been and I can lift with no issues whatsoever, even doing bench press and overhead presses and stuff. My question is, if I get this surgery to repair it, will it go back to being as strong as it is now or will it never be the same again? Is the surgery really worth it?
    Hey CD, I've torn my R. Labrum in hlf and 3other places along w/my rotator cuff... If you can wait do so! With Labral tears it's often never the same(in my case) I've lost 85% of all connective tissue along w/chronic bersitus and bone spurs needed removed... So now I need a total reverse joint replacement...

I would suggest you look into PT first since it's still strong - mine wasn't and lost lots of ROM aswell as its never been the same! Shoulders are very tricky as its the most freely moving joint in our bodies!

Just make sure you get multiple opinions... But no need for the surgery now if it's not a pain issue... And your ROM seems quite good considering...
    Fordfan01 likes this.

Fordfan01 is offline Member
    I completely agree with NACH3! PT would def be the way to go for now.

Thanks a lot everyone. Definitely some great advice in here. I'm going to get some different opinions and get some physical therapy done. I appreciate all of you.

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    i have severe traumatic arthritis and torn labram, and have been nursing this for over 10 years. at the time, my doc said to either keep it strong or get surgery. i opted for the former.

i'm 51 now, as strong as i've ever been and have found a way to keep training without making my shoulder any worse. for me, it means regular pt exercises for rotator cuff, and no exercises above the plane (no military's, arnolds or inclines). so far, it's worked. i suggest delaying as long as you can.

So, if I did decide to go through with the surgery, after all, would TB500 help out with rehab? I've read really good things about it and I'm certainly interested. Are there any other peptides that would be worthwhile?
    Last edited by (Cock-Diesel); 03-04-2015 at 12:17 AM.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by (Cock-Diesel) View Post
    So, if I did decide to go through with the surgery, after all, would TB500 help out with rehab? I've read really good things about it and I'm certainly interested. Are there any other peptides that would be worthwhile?
    GHRPs/GHRHs have healing properties(work very similar to HGH) but nothin is like the real deal!

Say like GHRP 6, mod GRF 1-29, Ipamorelin, & TB500... Is the stack I'm looking at... I have yet to start mine but will be soon! I too, have heard great things about TB500...
    Last edited by NACH3; 03-04-2015 at 06:15 AM.

Chauffeur is offline Associate Member
    You're definitely in a tough spot. On one hand, it's not bothering you at all so logic would say to just stay ahead of it through prehab exercises/stretching.

On the other hand, there's a good chance that it will need to be surgically corrected at some point down the road. SLAP surgeries in older patients have lower success rates than those performed on young people. So it would also make sense to get the surgery before you age enough for that to be a concern.

There's also a very real risk of making the injury worse by continuing to workout as you normally do. Overhead lifts are hell on a SLAP lesion.

It can be a really rough recovery man, so you'll have to weigh the pros and cons yourself. I had the surgery, but I didn't really have a choice in the matter. Mine was incredibly ****ed up and my arm was no longer functional. My recovery sucked big time.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chauffeur View Post
    You're definitely in a tough spot. On one hand, it's not bothering you at all so logic would say to just stay ahead of it through prehab exercises/stretching.

On the other hand, there's a good chance that it will need to be surgically corrected at some point down the road. SLAP surgeries in older patients have lower success rates than those performed on young people. So it would also make sense to get the surgery before you age enough for that to be a concern.

There's also a very real risk of making the injury worse by continuing to workout as you normally do. Overhead lifts are hell on a SLAP lesion.

It can be a really rough recovery man, so you'll have to weigh the pros and cons yourself. I had the surgery, but I didn't really have a choice in the matter. Mine was incredibly ****ed up and my arm was no longer functional. My recovery sucked big time.
    Mai it seems we all have some experience w/this... Unfortunately!

I agree that w/lifting(overhead especially will hinder your abilities in the long run) however if your still strong enough there's really no need to jump into it!

The age thing is correct in the sense it's harder to recover(but I was 17 when I first tore nmy labrum in hlf 3otherctears and my rotator cuff) I kept lifting it got worse and worse(now I need that total recerse joint replacement) thing is I'm now 31(it's been 16 yrs) abd now They won't do it till I reach at least the age 50!

So I say if it's not bothering you and you CAN still do overhead lifts I would continue w/lesser weight and higher reos... My shoulder routine suffers tremendously now(hurts so bad on any exercise) so again I think your pros do outweigh the cons... Just going based off exoerience i think you'll regret it kTer b.c every person I've talked to regsrding these type of surgeriesm(no one ever regained there natural ROM! Something to think about!

Thread Information