Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Proximal
  • 1 Post By Proximal
  • 1 Post By Fiskevatten

Thread: Plopping in shoulder?

Fiskevatten is offline Member

Plopping in shoulder?

I have this plopping feeling/ sound in my left shoulder at certain movements, been having it for years.
    It doesn't hurt at all, it just go kloink kloink like a rubberband when going up and down in presses.

Now it has never bothered me before. I am just worried now when I reach more heavy weights that it might create some damage...
    Is this likely?
    I've tried some rubberband rehab but hasn't helped (around 2 months, might need longer). Also tried some years ago to lay of the weights and that too didn't help.

Should I keep hitting it hard or any advice? :/

Much appreciated!

Proximal is offline Banned
    Could be a few things: biceps tendon snapping/popping in & out of groove, friction between greater tubercle (with rotator cuff tendon attached to it) & the acromion, or it could be labrum (less likely of the three).

Generally if there is no pain associated with the sound that is a big positive.

However, shoulder problems due to over-use are part of the game - continual friction will eventually create issues. Find good shoulder and pec stretches and keep your rotator cuff strong.

rGus is offline Junior Member
    If it's popping without any pain than you're all good. Some people's joints pop more than Others. It's like popping fingers except in your case it's shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by rGus View Post
    If it's popping without any pain than you're all good. Some people's joints pop more than Others. It's like popping fingers except in your case it's shoulders.
    Sorry, but this is not 100% correct. This applies to finger joints, but not the shoulder.
    infidel007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post

Sorry, but this is not 100% correct. This applies to finger joints, but not the shoulder.
    Well I acquired that information from medical school. From what I got is if it does not hurt than its harmless.

I had a buddy that also has a same popping in his shoulder since he started lifting and he has been lifting for about 6 years and everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rGus View Post
    Well I acquired that information from medical school.
    Same here.

Again, no offense but you are wrong. Won't get into a pissing match, although already did. Just because a friend has had popping (Of what actually? If you are from a medical school and have medical background you should be able to tell me just what is causing the popping) and doesn't have problems (yet?) doesn't mean you can conclusively apply this to every situation.
    infidel007 likes this.

Blog Entries
    The shoulder is a very complex joint and not to be taken lightly. Injuries normally take a long time to heal if at all.

If I were you I would avoid any aggravating exercises and eliminate completely exercises such as dips, shoulder presses, and upright rows. They are shoulder destroyers and IMO a low gain exercise when compared to much safer, higher reward lateral, front, and rear raises.

You should also pay particular attention to the rotator muscles and definitely incorporate working them into your routine. Most people generally have over developed internal rotation and need to work extra the external rotator muscles.

-Cheers

No offense taken.

His shoulder pain is not going to go from 0 to 100 just because it's popping. If there is something there then he will feel small pinches and if then he continues then it might turn into something serious.
    Nothing wrong with being in the safe side.
    Stretching and warmup is a must, popping or not popping.
    Last edited by rGus; 02-03-2016 at 06:41 AM.

Fiskevatten is offline Member
    Wow, I didn't recieve any message that I got any answers so I thought nobody had anything on this.
    Cheers a lot! Appreciate it guys

The popping (like a rubberband) have been there since lifting started better, around 8 years now. Never any pain.
    And it seems to only pop when i do overhead presses in any form. BUT, for some reason (even tho it's a terrible exercise bcus of various reasons), not when I do e.g. military behind the neck.
    I seem to be almost as strong tho behind and front.

Been trying everything there is, so I think I have to live with it. Just don't want to make it worse since shoulders are a damn fun day!

Good to hear some feedback on it
    Proximal likes this.

Thread Information