AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires

Do tattoos stretch?

Whats up,

I was thinking about getting a tattoo on my delt, covering pretty much the whole thing and maybe something on my upper pec. Do tattoos stretch or fuck up if you get any bigger though? Cuz I want to get a lot bigger, I'm only 18 now.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Bump...I'd like to know too.

HeartDocMD is offline AR Medical Advisor
    "Will weight gain or loss affect my tattoo?
    Any tattoo can be affected by changes in size of the body, but the good news is that it's usually not that noticeable. Tattoos can be very forgiving, and if the weight gain or loss occurs slowly enough, this gives your tattoo time to "adjust". Imagine a balloon with a logo on it - I'm sure you've seen them. The logo appears essentially the same when the balloon is full as it is when it's deflated, with maybe a slight difference in depth of color. Your skin will usually not undergo as much size change as a balloon, so the changes in your tattoo should be even less visible. Your skin is very elastic and stretches and contracts without much incidence, in most cases. Stomach tattoos and pregnancy are possibly one of the exceptions."

"Can Stretch Marks Damage My Tattoo?
    Unfortunately, yes they can. Which is why it's important to think about where you are placing your tattoos if you might get pregnant or have weight fluctuation difficulty. Areas that are most prone to stretch marks are the lower back, under arms and breasts, stomach, and abdomen."

(About.com)
    Last edited by HeartDocMD; 07-26-2003 at 12:24 AM.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Good info! Thanks DocMD.

BDTR is offline Retired
    From experience, they will stretch with you and unless you gain 94949884 lbs in a short amount of time, it's not going to be noticible. Now if you have a little pea sized shamrock on your shoulder when you're skinny and you gain 50 lbs of muscle, it's going to look like a vacination scar.

temperoath is offline Junior Member
    Ive have a half sleeve, and when I started lifting I was worried, but finally said fu** it. They stretch with your skin, and rarely damage unless there are stretch marks involved!

taquipariu is offline Associate Member
    Good info. I like tatoos, but not on me... hehe

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    ive got both of my delts covered and im working my way to have my entire top part of the back covered connecting the delt tats into one big one. Im only 21 so i have some time to do it. They are so addicting.

As far as stretching, i have gained about 20lbs since my first tat and have noticed no difference. Im pretty much in agreement with everyone so far

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    They will stretch with ya. However some will fade with age or heavy exposure to the Sun! But those tats are way cool too.

MJ

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    i have one on my right delt and have just finidhed my cycle.....gained 12 pounds even took delt shots, no stretch but you may wanna watch out with puttin any ink on ur chest it could happen there that is were most strech marks appear even though i have none, i would think twice about gettin a pec inked.

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    I have one on each shoulder and Ive gained 57 pounds since i got them and I cant tell the difference.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    i have one on my left peck, one on my left rear delt, one on my back right calf and one on my left side calf, so far my weight has fluctuated from 180 to 230 and now back down to 182...the tats still look good. faded a bit, but that is with age and getting them redone is something that i will look foward too, like gettin em all over again.

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    Mine don't look weird at all and I've fluctuated as much as 45lbs in weight...

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I've an Irish flag on my shoulder which has slightly moved to the front. But then I guess I've put on at least 100lbs since it was done, maybe slightly more. The rest are all pretty much where I put them. Although I don't have a huge amount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do tattoos stretch?-working-hard.jpg  

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Looking like some jail house tats, you have there!

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    As long as you dont gain a HUGE amount of weight in a short period of time you are fine. nothing to worry about. i just got my entire upper right back tattood. and i am not worried at all about it stretching. Just make sure you give your tat ample time to heal once you get it. no gym for about a week and a half.

Spoon

Thread Information