guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test

Question Stretched ligament in shoulder(s)

Can anyone recomend exercises to do and how often I should do them to help my shoulder stability?

I have dislocated my shoulder about 6 times and my range of motion is limited when doing shoulder presses. I can do everything else 90% of the time, with little or no prob.

GirlyGirl is offline Female Member
    Specifically strengthening the rotator cuff will help, also be sure to work rear delts. If you google "rotator cuff rehab" you'll probably get more than you need. Also check into "Hawkins-Kennedy" exercises. For most exercises you'll need a Theraband or very light dumbbells. Also stay light when doing military presses and only use dumbbells for that, but your shoulder probably told you that already. Good luck!

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGirl
    Specifically strengthening the rotator cuff will help, also be sure to work rear delts. If you google "rotator cuff rehab" you'll probably get more than you need. Also check into "Hawkins-Kennedy" exercises. For most exercises you'll need a Theraband or very light dumbbells. Also stay light when doing military presses and only use dumbbells for that, but your shoulder probably told you that already. Good luck!
    absolutely right! the bands are the ticket.you need to work on the supra and infraspinatus muscles as well as teres minor and subscapularis, there are specific execises invloving each muscle i mentioned and the exercises can easily be found on the net. keep your rep high 10 - 15 and light, moderate weight will be to much of a strain on theses muscles. also stay away from overhead presses. as girly girl said, they are better with d-bells,(the motion is more bio-mechanicaly correct which in turn will help prevent injury) but are not neccessary. with enought flat and incline bench, one really doesent need to do military press. trut me,
    Last edited by Doc.Sust; 09-04-2005 at 08:28 AM.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    You should look into surgery. After 3 dislocations it is common to get orthopedic surgery. You will have lose some ROM but gain stability.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    You should look into surgery. After 3 dislocations it is common to get orthopedic surgery. You will have lose some ROM but gain stability.
    the truth is once the ligaments are stretched , they stay stretched ans you are more prone to it re-occuring. i always put off surgery as along as possible, but this has happened 6 times. i would try conservative treatments first(i.e. strenghtening the cuff) and if it doesn't work, time to see your neighborhood friendly ortho-pod for repair

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    also great g. costanza quote. my favorite is "a george divided by a george can not exist" "worlds collide" in reference to independent george and relationship goerge

thanks but surgery is out of the question as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullsmasher
    thanks but surgery is out of the question as of now.
    trust me the surgery may not even help, there are no guarantees in a situation like this.

thats what I hear

might finally get surgery, got insurance now. any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Skullsmasher
    might finally get surgery, got insurance now. any advice?
    like i asid before there are no guarantees, however, oncethe ligaments sre stretched, they never go back to the same tensile strength thus allowing the shoulder to continually dislocate, it is up to you, if the shouder dislocates often then yes, do it you have nothing to lose. if it is once in a great while, then forget it

IMO, as powerlifter, i know i would do it to continue the sport, also reading back on this thread 6 times is alot of dislocations, i would lean towards the surgery after all
    Last edited by Doc.Sust; 12-30-2005 at 09:48 AM.

ALright doc, I have a problem with my left shoulder now...

I think it is either impinged/Bursitis or an AC seperation, based on just google searched I have done on what it feels like. Before the pain got this bad, I used to turn my head to the right and shrug my left shoulder, to make it crunch, which made it feel better, kinda like when you pop your knuckles. I am almost posotive I injured it about 2 years ago initially, while flat bar benching. Never been pain free since and my left shoulder gives out before my right, and cant do a lot of heavy pressing or benching realy without being in pain.

I can feel a small bump on my clavicle where it meets with the top of the front delt.

My question is just what your opinion is.

Here is a picture that best illustrates my problem I think.

I also have medical insurance now, so I may get surgery for this if needed. My right shoulder doesnt even bother me now. I cant throw a punch like I used to but, it doesnt hurt like my left, which doesnt make sense to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stretched ligament in shoulder(s)-shoulder_anatomy.gif  
    Attached Images Attached Images

man your shoulders are shot. to see if it an ac seperatin you need an x-ray. chances are i doubt is a seperation i would lean more to bursitis. i would get an ortho to take a look at it if it keeps bothering you and do some orthopeid tests. i have the same crunching noise in my left shoulder and i could still press heavy, but when i initially hurt it i couldn't. again i would do some codmans penulum exercises along with some light rotator movements, ice, rest if in 4-6 wks it isn't getting better than time to hit the ortho once again.

Gotcha, I already made an appointment. It will be my first visit for my left shoulder. I hate to take that long off but, i guess I can do some band exercises and I will look up thse codmans penulum exercises you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    man your shoulders are shot. .
    Yea, tell me about it. I can almost bet it was from doing behind the neck military presses/Heavy flat benching. I used to be able to rep em out with 135, now if I do em to the front, it hurts with 95.

sucks.

the militray behind the neck is the cause, that what did it to me as well, i now do all my lat work and shoulders in the front. its more of a bio-mechanicaly corect posture allowing less stress on the neck, traps and shoulders. soon your front presses will be even stronger than the behind the neck give yourself time to heal. let me know wht the ortho says

codmans execises seem like they are really a waste but the ROM is important and they do help.

the militray behind the neck is the cause, that what did it to me as well, i now do all my lat work and shoulders in the front. its more of a bio-mechanicaly corect posture allowing less stress on the neck, traps and shoulders. soon your front presses will be even stronger than the behind the neck give yourself time to heal. let me know wht the ortho says
    will do, and Ill let you know what the chiropractor says as well.

Do you think I will ever be able to lift "normally" again?

I know it depends but, I just really hope there is....hope.

YES! trust me i have made at least 3 comebacks form some various shoulder and low back injuries and got back into competitive powerlifting. each time i came back i came back stronger time and time again. when records seemed impossible to break, or weights seemed impossible to lift again, i took the negative thoughts and got them out of my head, and turned them into future goals, i gave myself proper time to heal and worked my way to achieving my goals 3 times over. i can't tell you what a great feeling it was, and it is posibble, slow and steady win the race. you will prevail!

Alright, thats what I like to hear

hope it raised your spirits

It actually did a bit

Doc,
    Can you tell me how using htese thera bands is gonna help me, if I have an impingement? I mena, dont get me wrong, I like to do em and everything but, if there is bone spurs on my shoulder joint, how is doing these exercises going to help get a better ROM? The spurs are gonna always be there unless I get surgery right?

yes but the active rom will not let them progress any worse. also the more motion you put into the joint the better, same concept as a manipulation of a joint. this will not make the spurs go away,

here is an example, i have DJD or osteo-arthritis in my lumbar spine, but because of all the exercise i do for my low back, the incresed muslce mass and strength , and just the general extra movement becaue of me just actualy doing the exrecises i feel no pain at all. does this make sense?

now i am not saying the ecericese are a "cure all" remeady, but they may help

oh yes, djd or OA is one of the cause of bone spuring and ostophytic formation,

oh yes, djd or OA is one of the cause of bone spuring and ostophytic formation,

lamans terms please

wait i think i know what you are initialling

osteo arthritus and dejenerative disc or something?

Herbster is offline New Member
    I think i am in the same boat as you mate. I feel i have laxity in most of my joints and have spent the last 16 months in physio with my local hospital because of a major shoulder instability problem.
    In the end the after doing loads of physio related exercises and getting no where the doc told me there was nothing more that they could do and i was to give up weight lifting.
    I am 28.

shoulders f'n suck...i am having all sorts of problems with mine, but hopefully i can make a come back. I agree 100% that dumbells with high reps is the way to go, but low reps is inevitable doom. doing sets with 6 reps on heavy dumbells killed me, i would never advise anyone to do these.
    Good luck bro, keep your head up...there was a post in the lounge a week ago or so about a guy that didnt have any arms or legs and he won a wrestling match for his highschool. Ive never seen anything more inspiring.

That really is inspirational

I have been doing at least 3-8 sets of thera band exercises almost every day, they do make my shoulder feel better. I hope that isnt too much. The bands really help you work the joint itself more, it seems. you can really feel it if ya do em preoperly

i am writing an article jst for you about shoulder rehab, give me a few days and i will post it and hopefully it will be a sticky. it is rather good, i have to proof read it, correct it and copy and paste some info. help is on the way

the last few reps of each set feel SOOOOOO good on my shoulders, seriously, y aknow the last few reps of lets say, curls, can be really painful right? its like that in my shoulders with these bands but, damn it feels good

I already have a better ROM and pain free chest WO. I used lower weight too but, I am glad I got these bands and actually realised I need to take it easy if im gonna get better. Doesnt do much for my ego but, thats not my priority noowq

I had cortisone shot into my left shoulder yesterday, man is this ****in thing sore now!! more than before. They said it was normal though. My ass passed the **** out when they did it, I couldnt help it. not that it hurt but, I just........PASSED OUT. They said it was my AC joint, not an impingement or bursitus so it sounds like Im better off than I thought. They said I was too young to have it become a major problem (not sure how to interpret that) and that I should be a lot better from this one shot. My other shoulder however did not like to be put through all those motions to diagnose it, it wasnt painful just I didnt feel confident that it wouldnt dislocate. they said we would take it one shoudelr at a time. My clavicel and the ball of my shoudelr joint all looked really well they said. no sloping or anything like that, they think that when my right shoudelr got hurt, my left tried to compensate and became irritated in the Acromium???? area. well lets jope this helps, im sore as hell right now.

I gotta read those articles you wrote doc, looks like you spent some time on em.

I beleive it is a mild type 1 acromioclavicular ligament injury I was diagnosed with in my left shoulder.

I had my second cortisone injection in my acromioclavicular ligament/joint three days ago and I have to say I am not NEARLY as sore as the last time. I winder if the test is makin my joints retain more water? anyway, I feel a lot better from these. I recomend them for anyone with the same injury.

I am 90% better just so you know, if I can make a good comeback ANYONE CAN. I thought Id never be able to do the things I am now like benching and going heavy.

Thread Information