Thread: fractured wrist

bhg480 is offline New Member

fractured wrist

well, it goes like this. I was doing incline dumbell presses and when I brought them back down after 6-8 reps, I lost control as they were 100's (heavy for me)....and my wrist twisted in a downward motion and snapped.

I have had a soft cast on for 4 weeks and my follow up is in a week from today. Needless to say I lost 20 lbs of muscle as I stopped using my gear and no gym at all.

I'm dying to know when this will be healed enough to get into the gym, it is feeling so much better.

Any helpful hints for this type of injury? thanks!

jmt
    jmt is offline Associate Member
    No sense in rushing it. You could easily cause permanant damage. I broke my wrist 5 years ago. Sometimes I still get shooting pains under an increased load like bench pressing.

After you're cleared to get back in the gym makes ure you get a proper brace or tape the shit out of your wirsts. It seems to help.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by bhg480
    well, it goes like this. I was doing incline dumbell presses and when I brought them back down after 6-8 reps, I lost control as they were 100's (heavy for me)....and my wrist twisted in a downward motion and snapped.

Any helpful hints for this type of injury? thanks!
    Get two spotters to watch your neuromuscular coordination, when you go heavy. Have two spotters ready to take the dumbbells when you are done with your set. Don't repeat history. Good luck!

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    everyone heals different. when the soft cast is off, it will still be probably another4- 6 wks depending. why did you stop going to the gym??this is a time you can do alot of lower body work!!get back in there, hit abs, leg press. leg curls , extensions, calves, try out light pec dec(using your forarms, not your hands).work you back by using the pec deck backwards and using your elbows to push, (reverse delt. movement). there are a ton of things you can be doing to prevent losing 20 lbs, that is to much of a loss, try light shoulder movements and lats using bands, you can even use the bands for tris and bis. no you won't make big upper body gains, but he idea is to do some work so your muscles don't atrophy any more than they already have. HIT THE GYM!!!
    Last edited by Doc.Sust; 09-09-2005 at 08:16 AM.

Thread Information