chest6 is offline Banned

shoulder hurts after squats

Does anyone know why my left shoulder always hurts after squats? I hold the bar with my hands all the way at the sides before the weights. Maybe this puts stress on my shoulder somehow? Anyone?

jmt
    jmt is offline Associate Member
    Are you using your arms to support the weight or just to balance it? Are your elbows pointing in front of you, straight down, or behind you? It could very well just be a question of technique.

diezell is offline Senior Member
    id put the bar a little lower on ure back if u can

chest6 is offline Banned
    I'll try that. My elbows are behind me..I just kinna rest them there

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    put the bar right across your both scapula's,and let your backsupport the bar.also try different grips, may also help. if you have acees to a safety squat bar, that would take all the pressure off your shoulders for a while until you heal

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    put the bar right across your both scapula's,and let your backsupport the bar.also try different grips, may also help. if you have acees to a safety squat bar, that would take all the pressure off your shoulders for a while until you heal
    I'll try to find one..there are a lot of gyms around here. It only hurts like the day I do them and the day after. It feels kinna like I slept on it wrong during the night, thats what I can describe it to. Not really a huge problem, it just happens each time.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    This is actually a somewhat common problem. Many guys use camberred squat bars instead of straight bars to relieve stress.

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    Chest6 said " i do my squats upside down, with my head on the ground"
    j/k

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smokethedays
    Chest6 said " i do my squats upside down, with my head on the ground"
    j/k
    careful or I'll send you another "special" email

Gerkie66 is offline Female Member
    I've had rotator cuff surgery and my shoulder gets irritated when i do squats...what helps me is to stretch my shoulder before i do my squats. my external rotation is very poor so i try and stretch that out and sometimes bring a towel above my head and push it as far back as both shoulders can handle.

You can try to stretch it and see if it works for you...I also use a pretty wide grip...

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerkie66
    I've had rotator cuff surgery and my shoulder gets irritated when i do squats...what helps me is to stretch my shoulder before i do my squats. my external rotation is very poor so i try and stretch that out and sometimes bring a towel above my head and push it as far back as both shoulders can handle.

You can try to stretch it and see if it works for you...I also use a pretty wide grip...
    I'll try it..thanks a lot for the advice

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    iv done this. sometimes it feels like the shoulder blade is loose after wards for a few weeks. Thats from trying to support the weight too much with the shoulder, or reposituioning your shoulder mid set. Dont do that. Get set right before and stay that way. Sometimes its hard thoug cuz it feel like the shoulder is fatiguing at one position so you have to adjust it..but i would say just rack it before doing that. not worth it. If you have to readjus the shoulders in the middle of the set, just rack it. JMO

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    Maybe cause you're a puss.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicBoy1981
    iv done this. sometimes it feels like the shoulder blade is loose after wards for a few weeks. Thats from trying to support the weight too much with the shoulder, or reposituioning your shoulder mid set. Dont do that. Get set right before and stay that way. Sometimes its hard thoug cuz it feel like the shoulder is fatiguing at one position so you have to adjust it..but i would say just rack it before doing that. not worth it. If you have to readjus the shoulders in the middle of the set, just rack it. JMO
    well thats it. I have my hands all the way wide during my set, and then when I rack it I bring my hands in much closer so I dont take off my whole hand when I rack the weight. I guess I'll go as wide as I can while being able to rack the weight without moving my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by SMYL_GR8
    Maybe cause you're a puss.
    Well I just wanted to cover it up a little bit.

Thread Information