Thread: Rapidly Numbing

v0doo600 is offline New Member

Rapidly Numbing

I’m a little concerned.
    Whenever I go to sleep I always lie down on top of my arms, and it usually takes a few hours before they become numb. Now I can’t even lie down on top of them because they will become numb within a few minutes. Is this because of the gear[1000mg sos, 100mg EOD winny]? Is it just due to working out and having a heavier body? Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    happens to me too. i blame it on thoracic outlet syndrome caused by tight scalene muscles and tight pec minor from hypertrophy of both muscle groups over time. i learned to sleep on my back and to keep both arms elevated on pillows that i lay next to me and now i have no problems

Thanks doc, will do that tonight.

tell me if it works, if it doesn't i will find another possible differential diagnosis

Flexor is offline Banned
    Thanks Doc, I have the same problem and it all began when I started to exercise consistently with heavier weights 2 years ago. I put quite a lot of effort into my own research and even went to the doctor and had a scan but they were useless. Now I finally know what it is, and it sounds pretty convincing that this is the problem.

Thanks again, by the way do you know how many people who lifts weights suffer from this?

quite a few more than i thought. it can also be congenital with some people, if you have a cervical rib that can also cause this problem, but this is very very rare. and if you had an xray or mri it would have been seen by the radiologist.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    quite a few more than i thought. it can also be congenital with some people, if you have a cervical rib that can also cause this problem, but this is very very rare. and if you had an xray or mri it would have been seen by the radiologist.
    I had an MRI because my whole left side felt numb when I woke up one night and it didn't go away, but nothing showed up and stroke and MS was ruled out. I guess I don't know what it is after all...but its gone now, I think...

All I know is, the right side of my neck always feel tighter, and it gets strained doing deadlifts, lateral raises and shrugs and I thought maybe this was the problem you described.

Thanks in advance for your response...
    Last edited by Flexor; 11-21-2005 at 04:51 PM.

worked like a charm, a little difficult to get comfortable in at first, but it feels a lot better than your arms being numb.
    thanks doc

Quote Originally Posted by v0doo600
    worked like a charm, a little difficult to get comfortable in at first, but it feels a lot better than your arms being numb.
    thanks doc
    glad it worked, you get used to after a wk or 2

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    I had an MRI because my whole left side felt numb when I woke up one night and it didn't go away, but nothing showed up and stroke and MS was ruled out. I guess I don't know what it is after all...but its gone now, I think...

All I know is, the right side of my neck always feel tighter, and it gets strained doing deadlifts, lateral raises and shrugs and I thought maybe this was the problem you described.

Thanks in advance for your response...
    it sounds like a muscular problem, i would look into some myofasial release, acitve release techniques, or sports massage to see if this improves, along with some manipulations/ adjustments. ice when you feel like you overused the muscles. i myself when i do lateral raises strain my rt side of my neck every damn time evenwith light weight(it was an old injury, now it flares up with that movement. you may want to try a hybrid movement. i do an in between move of a lateral and a front raises and it seems to work for me9arms at 45 degrees approx) try this out and see if it helps

Flexor is offline Banned
    it sounds like a muscular problem, i would look into some myofasial release, acitve release techniques, or sports massage to see if this improves, along with some manipulations/ adjustments. ice when you feel like you overused the muscles. i myself when i do lateral raises strain my rt side of my neck every damn time evenwith light weight(it was an old injury, now it flares up with that movement. you may want to try a hybrid movement. i do an in between move of a lateral and a front raises and it seems to work for me9arms at 45 degrees approx) try this out and see if it helps
    Thanks doc! Tomorrow I'm going to add in some front-lateral raises like you described to my workout to see if it helps. Should work the supraspinatus better as well...

exactly! smart man, it is designed to soley isolate the supraspinatus. do you have some back ground in PT or kineseology?

Flexor is offline Banned
    exactly! smart man, it is designed to soley isolate the supraspinatus. do you have some back ground in PT or kineseology?
    Yeah I find it fascinating.

By the way I tried the front/lateral raise and it definitely took the stress off the neck. I've also tried incline one arm lateral raises and I prefer the high tension throughout the ROM and it doesn't hurt my neck either. A pennate muscle like the deltoid or brachialis responds better to slower movements with a constant tension load, especially through the eccentric lowering. If I do standing raises though, its the front/lateral with the thumbs pointed ever so slightly down to try to target the medial more, but without causing impingement on the acromion.

Thanks doc for the advice. I went and hurt that part of my neck yesterday doing straight leg deadlifts though, I must have looked down to check my grip on the bar half way through!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Yeah I find it fascinating.

By the way I tried the front/lateral raise and it definitely took the stress off the neck. I've also tried incline one arm lateral raises and I prefer the high tension throughout the ROM and it doesn't hurt my neck either. A pennate muscle like the deltoid or brachialis responds better to slower movements with a constant tension load, especially through the eccentric lowering. If I do standing raises though, its the front/lateral with the thumbs pointed ever so slightly down to try to target the medial more, but without causing impingement on the acromion.

Thanks doc for the advice. I went and hurt that part of my neck yesterday doing straight leg deadlifts though, I must have looked down to check my grip on the bar half way through!!
    hey thise pesky sprain/strains happen to my neck from deads sometimes too. again, you know your anatomy very well, care to share your background? you can also PM me

hey doc, im still having problems with the numbing, but now i feel it in my fingers a lot of the time. Usually when im driving, might be that im gripping the steering wheel too tight. You think it could be cause I raised my sos dosage ?

uraised it/ weren't you doing 1000mg a wk already? i am not sure what to make of it, it still may be TOS, without doing ortho tests on you, and trust me they aren't always 1005 rt , i cant tell. drop the dose back and see if it improves, it may be from the extra size and water tension but its far from deffinate.

Thread Information