Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~

My doc said I either tore my labrum or rotator cuff.

I am having an Mri friday but he said most likely surgery is needed wich sucks . Has anybody went through this if so can you give me a little info about the rehab and how long before you can hit it hard again.
    Please help a brotha out.
    Last edited by Hackamaniac; 09-19-2005 at 03:41 PM.

why aren't I getting any reponses

Please help me out with some info with this injury I'd really appreciate it. I'm 25 years old and first signs of the injury were in january.
    Last edited by Hackamaniac; 09-19-2005 at 07:29 PM.

Gerkie66 is offline Female Member
    had rotator cuff surgery in july 2000...rehab went for about 6 months...i was more into cross-country running at the time and didn't lift too much, so i don't know how long exactly...

i'd say probably around 6 months after surgery though...depends how intense rehab is and what type of surgery and where exactly the tear is...

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    plar it's rotator...........had surgery on my labrem when i was 25...................2 yrs later and still not fullr recovered...............can only push up 65lbs on DB becasue my shoulder can't stabalize that much weight.....it is slowely getting better...but it sucks shit bro
    !!

so what do you suggest if one or the other is torn surgery or not and more opinions would still be more than welcome but thanks to those who have replied.
    Last edited by Hackamaniac; 09-20-2005 at 05:52 PM.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    do conservative treatment first . surgey is not a guarantee. do you have an option to do physical therapy?i would suggest strenthening of the rotator cuff muscles in general.
    also recovery from surgery is different for everyone. at least 6months to over a year.

thanks doc six months to a year that would suck my insurance won't pay for physical therapy. If I can do the physical therapy the tear would still limit me to many lifts though so you wouldn't suggest the surgery. I am waying all my options and what about cortisone shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackamaniac
    thanks doc six months to a year that would suck my insurance won't pay for physical therapy. If I can do the physical therapy the tear would still limit me to many lifts though so you wouldn't suggest the surgery. I am waying all my options and what about cortisone shots.
    cortisone is also a double edged sword, yes it will take away the pain,but with long term use it will weaken the elasticity of the ligaments which may cause future problems. i would get the cortisone once and see if it really helps. it DOESN"T fix the shoulder,but it alleviates pain. you should still follow the same restrictions after the cortisone shots that you are doing now. the pain is a good thing in away, it let you know what movement you can not do so you don't cause furthur injury. with the injection,, you may lift, not feel the pain you should, and actually cause even more damage. if you chose cortisone, be careful when making a comeback and lift lite. also, if you have access to rubber bands and lite dumbells you can do rehab your self.

what kind of insurance doesnt pay for PT?

Quote Originally Posted by Mealticket
    what kind of insurance doesnt pay for PT?
    many don't thanks to hmo's and shttyppo's. insurance sucks for americans

well thanks for the advice but if i don't get surgery will i ever be able to lift really heavy weights again or will it just limit wich ones i should do and have to lift really small. thanks again doc

try to rehab it, you may be cutting yur self short. you will know in time. chances are i predict you will lift heavy again. patience.let yourself heal.

I just found out only have a slight rotator cuff tear and the doc said 4 to 6 weeks of physical therapy should do it so I might be the happiest man alive knowing for now no surgery and back to the weights soon. Thanks for all advice and if any rehab tips let me know and thanks to everybody that's responded.

don't skimp on it. Do every exercise they throw @ you, no matter how mundane or insignificant it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mealticket
    don't skimp on it. Do every exercise they throw @ you, no matter how mundane or insignificant it seems.
    Can I still do some light lifting while rehabbing.

I just found out only have a slight rotator cuff tear and the doc said 4 to 6 weeks of physical therapy should do it so I might be the happiest man alive knowing for now no surgery and back to the weights soon. Thanks for all advice and if any rehab tips let me know and thanks to everybody that's responded.
    great news. no surgery is the best news you can get!

liftergirl is offline Female Member
    I agree with DocSust and Mealticket---rehab will do WONDERS!!! If your insurance won't cover PT, don't worry.... rotator cuff rehab is pretty easy to do on your own once you've covered the basics. I teach the exercises to my patients in my clinic (i'm a primary care doc), and have handouts that describe the exercises; as do lots of docs. I'd ask your primary if he/she has some recommendations. Or, if not, go a couple of times to physical therapy just to learn the exercises, and then you'll be able to do them at home.

Take it easy on the lifting for right now....you'll be back to the heavy stuff in time...but it needs to heal first.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by liftergirl
    I agree with DocSust and Mealticket---rehab will do WONDERS!!! If your insurance won't cover PT, don't worry.... rotator cuff rehab is pretty easy to do on your own once you've covered the basics. I teach the exercises to my patients in my clinic (i'm a primary care doc), and have handouts that describe the exercises; as do lots of docs. I'd ask your primary if he/she has some recommendations. Or, if not, go a couple of times to physical therapy just to learn the exercises, and then you'll be able to do them at home.

Take it easy on the lifting for right now....you'll be back to the heavy stuff in time...but it needs to heal first.

Good luck!
    lifter girl, any chance i can get you to fax me the rotator cuff handout so i can start giving them to my patients for rehab? it would helpme big time!!

thanks for all the advice and i'll keep you'll updated on rehab and thanks again.

liftergirl is offline Female Member
    thanks for all the advice and i'll keep you'll updated on rehab and thanks again.
    Hack--if you need info on rehab exercises, feel free to pm me...i'll send you some info we use in the clinic. Good luck!

Thread Information